Hopefully I got the couple of pics attached ok
Great photos - thanks.

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:17 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Quick update on http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post1989002

We ran the genset a bit in a campground yesterday and was measuring 71 decibels inside and the unit was very tolerable outside. I think the difference is I took the original readings in my driveway next to the house and I was getting alot of feedback from the concrete drive and brick wall I was very close to. No other way to explain a 7 decibel drop.
Mcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:54 PM   #44
GREAT ESCAPES

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tenafly , New Jersey
VIBRATION NOISE QUESTION:

I just installed my second resonator on an Interstate; first was on our 2014 and now on our 2017 Tommy Bahama GT. I purchased both resonator on AMAZON, however they can easily be purchased from your AIRSTREAM deal as the new 2018 generator exhaust now includes the resonator. From all the post that I have read, plus my own experience is a noise reduction. Very easy to remove your existing exhaust which basically has the shape of a hockey stick (25" in length). Both installs, I have a local welder place the resonator within the straight portion of the exhaust pipe; so in the end, the length and shape is maintained. The hardest part if physically removing the exhaust pipe from the generator header, but a little elbow grease will make it happen easy enough. I like the finished product welded, over being clamped at each end (2018 AI way...); my welder charged be $25 to cut it, weld it and paint it...

I'm more interested in the vibration and all of the great post in reducing the noise within the Interstate; I just finished the exhaust job, however the inside vibration / noise is crazy loud (louder than my 2014 AI).

Am I just trying to reduce the vibration from the four bolts that secure the generator, or should I try rubber mating between the mounting bracket and the coach frame? or BOTH?

FYI - new 2017 TB, I've had to make several repairs since purchased brand new off of the dealer's lot. Turns out I installed the resonator today, went to test the noise level and the generator wouldn't start; turns out the positive battery lead wasn't even connected to the battery string... Don't ask why I didn't test the generator while at the dealership - I was already familiar with the operating systems of the 2017, basically the same as our 2014...
scott.semone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Generator Noise Improvement

Last week, in preparation for our trip to Alaska, I took my 2006 (2007 AI) in to the local Onan Cummins dealer for an adjustment of the governor. Since he removed the 2.5 KW propane unit overnight, I took that opportunity to remove the side plates for corrosion treatment which included coating them with a truck bed coating similar to Rhino Lining. Once the unit was reinstalled the noise/vibration reduction was incredible. Did not expect that much reduction in the interior noise level, but it's barely noticeable now. No kidding. Big surprise. I can only surmise the dampening effect of the heavy spray coating had a profound effect on the transmission of vibrations into the frame. Has anyone else tried this and achieved similar results?
Jbray333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:46 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I literally slapped my forehead upon reading these newest entries. It never occurred to me to try sliding a noise-attenuating baffle under the genset if the van was sitting on concrete (a portable baffle may do the same trick that a non-concrete surface does).

The side shields, yes, I had thought of modifying them because another poster talked about lining them with rubber, and that made a difference in their rig. But actually coating them with a substance that might prove to be attenuating... that option had not occurred to me.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Everything helps.
Remember, noise is the total of vibrations through the air and through the surrounding materials. Not all noise comes out the tailpipe either. Mechanical noise contributes too.
It's not hard to find a rubber floor mat that is intended to make standing easier. HF sells a set for $20. Set the generator on those.
Seriously, even something as simple as leaning a piece of plywood against the generator makes a difference.
Look at movie generators, diesel gennys that you aren't sure they're running until you get 10' away! The air intake and the exhaust are baffled out the top, and the "box" is lined with sound absorbing materials. Now, they're designed with expensive materials, but you can take the concept and utilize the idea. First, don't take the rubber feet off the generator. Don't strap it to the side of your truck. Let it "float". If you're serious, build a simple enclosure lined with anything that gets in the way of a sound wave. Do a Google search for materials, you can buy soundproofing designed for boat engine rooms. It doesn't have to be NASA, everything helps. Just remember air has to get in and exhaust has to get out, and it shouldn't burn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Soundproofing_ QBHD_Composite_Install_400-011.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	310670  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
These are under-mount generators. Its a bit of a different predicament. Some of the previous soundproofing suggestions have raised combustibility questions in my mind. I probably would not worry about a side enclosure coating too much. But a padded mat in that environment might be a fire hazard.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
These are under-mount generators. Its a bit of a different predicament. Some of the previous soundproofing suggestions have raised combustibility questions in my mind. I probably would not worry about a side enclosure coating too much. But a padded mat in that environment might be a fire hazard.
This product appears to be a better option for concerns about combustion risk. It is composed of resin-bonded silica blanketing.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029KCW0

Manufacturer claims it good for high temps.
https://www.thermotec.com/products/s...rs/cool-it-mat

I'm finally getting ready to make the acoustic mods on my generator this summer.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbray333 View Post
Has anyone else tried this and achieved similar results?
Yep. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post1989002
Old 08-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Update to my tweaks to reduce Generator noise. I had always suspected there was some metal-to-metal contact/rattle when the unit was operating and today I discovered the source. Made a mount modification and the low frequency vibration materially reduced. Updated my document to show what I did. It is easy to determine if you have the same issue. Just grab the genset exhaust pipe and shake as hard as you can. If you hear metal to metal clanking, then I suspect it is the lower mounts. If you don't hear metal-metal, then consider yourself fortunate.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Generator noise reduction test.pdf (909.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 08-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
This is great. Really appreciate the time put into this to share the knowledge with the forum. I will be following this for mine.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
+10 for efforts and details
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
I stumbled across Advanced Vibration Components https://www.vibrationmounts.com and decided to try their Center Bolt Isolation Mount to provide materially more isolation between the generator and Sprinter chassis. I had a great outcome!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Generator noise reduction test.pdf (929.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-14-2019, 02:16 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
I stumbled across Advanced Vibration Components https://www.vibrationmounts.com and decided to try their Center Bolt Isolation Mount to provide materially more isolation between the generator and Sprinter chassis. I had a great outcome!
Thanks for the update. One of these days I need to make this mod. Maybe then I'd use the generator?
Old 09-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #56
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
MCRIDER - THANK YOU for the info and documentation which I promptly saved for future use. That anti-vibration mount looks almost identical to a similar antivibration mount I used many years ago to isolate garage door noise/vibrations coming from mounting bolts/frame from propagating to 2nd floor joist & living areas. I want to do this now, but just to minimize potential issues while unit is still under warranty, I will patiently wait until next year.
Alex AVI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #57
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Thank you!!! Will order those.

Not sure if we just got used to it, but generator noise/vibration no longer bother us. But anything that will improve minimizing vibration and noise inside the coach, is a welcome mod!!

These isolation mounts look like a better solution to the first change I made based on your earlier document with recommendations. I still have the sound deadening material that I never installed... good opportunity to do that as well.

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote