Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Generator muffler install

Finally got around to getting the Onan muffler put on.

Just needed a 1/2" ratcheting box end or a 1/2" deep socket for the clamps. The clamp holding the pipe to the generator will require the box end tho. It was a good thing I decided to do this as the clamp at the generator was barely tight enuf to hold the pipe on. First loosened the hanger bracket clamp and then the clamp on the generator and slide the pipe out of the hanger clamp. Then I removed the three clamps holding the heat shield on and removed it. That was when I discovered that due to either a poor mandrel bend or over-tightening the heat shield clamp (or both), the pipe was cracked around 75% of the circumference. Got out my little gas welder and fixed that.

Now it was time to measure twice, cut once on where to put the muffler in the pipe. The pipe/muffler fit was a hard slip fit and required a bit of encouragement w/ a hammer and block of wood. While the muffler appears to be straight thru, there was one end labeled "INLET". While the muffler tips are 1 3/8" OD, it takes an 1 1/4" muffler clamp. Installed the clamps on the muffler so the threaded end was pointing up for future heat shield attachment. Didn't tighten since the nuts would need to be removed for heat shield attachment. Primed the pipe/muffler assembly w/ zinc chromate primer and painted w/ Hi-temp black exhaust paint. Mainly for appearance as the pipe is galvanized. Not sure about the muffler.

Since the muffler clamps are in a different location than the original heat shield clamps, new holes were req'd. Laid the assembly down on the heat shield, marked the new hole locations, and drilled four 7/16" holes. Placed the shield over the muffler, aligned the clamps, and installed the nuts. Tightened the nuts after aligning the shield so it would be on top when the assembly is reinstalled. The clamp nearest the generator fit the original holes but required a moderate amount of reshaping the shield after the two clamps on the muffler were attached. Checked all clamps to ensure that they were tight as one of the factory installed clamps fell off around 10K miles. The heat shield really made a racket then.

After crawling back under, slipped the exit end thru the hanger bracket and then slipped the other end back on the generator and tightened the clamp securely. Put the chrome tip back on and then ready to go measure the sound reduction.

Sitting over the street-side dual, I measured 61.5 db (dropped to 60 db after running under load and fully warmed up) w/ just the generator. Was 64 db before. With the A/C on Hi fan, measured 73.5 db and that was mostly the A/C fan as I could barely hear the generator. It was 74 db before which to me means that the sound level was mostly the A/C fan.

I neglected to measure outside before the muffler install. But standing about 5' from the street-side rear corner, I measured 75.5 db (50 db ambient level). Subjectively it seemed to reduce the high frequency, raspy sound of the exhaust. Bottom line it was improvement and worth the couple of hours labor and less than $50 for muffler and clamps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1433277183314.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	240012   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150602_153215.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	240013  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1433286761739.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	240014   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150604_125421.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	240016  

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Went back to put the pics where they go in the text. Then discovered that they were still and the bottom also. So went back for second edit and couldn't delete, so saved and got the dreaded 30 minute timeout msg.

So still not sure how to place pics in text w/o duplicating.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Just for fun, clamp a hose on the end of the pipe and run the exhaust into a bucket of water and measure the results.

As a kid, my uncle had an alternator attacked to an edge trimmer to power some lights at the deer lease and the bucket was a neat trick. I suppose there is a sweet spot between noise attenuation and excess back pressure slowing the engine too much but it did seem to work well.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Good idea. I'll first have to find a piece of hose. I suspect that a lot of the noise is the generator itself.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Good idea. I'll first have to find a piece of hose. I suspect that a lot of the noise is the generator itself.
Before you try extending your exhaust with a hose and dropping the end of the hose in a bucket of water, try extending the exhaust with a hose and not putting it in a bucket of water. There will still be a reduction in sound volume, but without as much back-pressure.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Yes - a lot of the noise of the generator come right from the air-cooled engine.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, that's a lot of exhaust pipe for that Onan; I guess it has to have it due to location. One thing I would have done differently would be to tighten all of the pipe clamps first, Install heat shield on clamp threads, and install nuts on top of shield. [In other words, two nuts per threaded end]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Didn't want all that extra weight.