Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I am spending my last night of 20 days in my 2018 GT AI before heading home. Overall, I am happy, it's comfortable, but it really does have to be hooked up without modifications. I have appointment at JC for numerous warranty repairs or quality control issues. The most disappointing thing to me is that everywhere I've gone, including the gas station, people come up and ask questions and want to see it....I say disappointed because it seams like everytime someone takes a look, something else breaks or falls off its track. I hold my breath hoping they won't touch or open anything. I just imagined I'd be very proud to show it off instead of sweating it out.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:15 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
I am spending my last night of 20 days in my 2018 GT AI before heading home. Overall, I am happy, it's comfortable, but it really does have to be hooked up without modifications. I have appointment at JC for numerous warranty repairs or quality control issues. The most disappointing thing to me is that everywhere I've gone, including the gas station, people come up and ask questions and want to see it....I say disappointed because it seams like everytime someone takes a look, something else breaks or falls off its track. I hold my breath hoping they won't touch or open anything. I just imagined I'd be very proud to show it off instead of sweating it out.

Good luck at headquarters. Here's hoping all goes well from here on out (but maybe that's being overly optimistic).

Still, you should be able to get one full night out of batteries/propane, etc. before driving or plugging in. I don't have an Interstate model, but I replaced the relatively new batteries in my Avenue after it wasn't holding a charge more than a few days (in my driveway with everything off) and it solved that problem and my solar charging problem.

On our recent trip with our smaller-than-yours compressor refrigerator, we were able to dry camp from 7pm to 8am with tv, lights, and maxxfan and/or furnace and never went below 70% on battery capacity. We were in cooler altitudes and didn't need to run the generator for A/C so there was no charging source at night. Your batteries may have been abused before you got it and (as you previously noted), running them down did them no good your first night.

Thanks for contributing and keep us informed.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:43 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Overall, I am happy, it's comfortable, but it really does have to be hooked up without modifications. I have appointment at JC for numerous warranty repairs or quality control issues.

I just imagined I'd be very proud to show it off instead of sweating it out.
Same here. I did not spend a lot of time evaluating AI boondocking capabilities because I knew we are not boondocker or off-grid folks. I may regret that strategy someday, but for our current needs (full hookups) we love the AI (notwithstanding few startup hiccups but mostly dealer issues).

Best of luck at Jackson Center. My experience with them & Firefly via remote was excellent. So I could only imagine being there in person would even be more advantageous, as they can not just blow-off your concerns. Just keep your ducks in a row, be factual, objective, and leave emotions out of the process. We can do emotions in the AirForum environment, but not when trying to get things fixed. It will just slow down the process. I am sure all valid issues that does not fall within unrealistic expectations will get fixed.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Looks yummy
Old 07-29-2018, 04:03 PM   #85
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Denver , Colorado
Mobey

If the refer/freezer ran on propane as well as electric this would be a great help. Any way to do this without tearing the whole thing apart?
Mobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:25 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobey View Post
If the refer/freezer ran on propane as well as electric this would be a great help. Any way to do this without tearing the whole thing apart?
MOBEY - I have not done it, but I know you definitely would have to take many things apart and buy a new fridge/freezer. Pretty sure the current fridge/freezer can't be converted to propane
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:25 PM   #87
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
The service at Jackson center was great!
Old 07-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Wow, great discussion. Previously I asked who you use to do modifications if you cant do them yourself. Do you go to RV service center, camping world, JC where they are made? I would like to get some of them done but don't know who would touch it and who to trust. I have the 2018 so still in warranty also, so how does doing some of the modifications affect warranty. Thanks to all
Lewster can do most of these upgrades but his main business seems to be on the electrical side.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:51 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
I have the 2018 so still in warranty also, so how does doing some of the modifications affect warranty. Thanks to all
Obviously anything you change in the electrical system will no longer have a warranty. Good news is that my dealer at least is not complaining about my Lithium conversion when I have other issues for them to fix.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:24 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobey View Post
Hi, Mobey. That question has been asked before, especially in this thread here.

The short answer is no, it's not practical to do that, because a chimney would need to be built in the van, so void space would have to be created.

But you wouldn't want to do that anyway - trust me. I used to be a fan, but changed my mind upon learning the hard way that propane fridges are not what they are cracked up to be. We owned two of them in rapid succession before switching to a marine electric fridge (brand name Vitrifrigo). If you'd like to read about that adventure, I've got a blog post here.

The core problem with Interstates is not with the fridges that are installed - it's with the undersized power systems that can't run them properly.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:11 AM   #91
2 Rivet Member

barrie , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
We asked in this forum for a recommended local service place. (Our selling dealer was woefully unsatisfactory.) We were very pleased with the results and have continued to use them (Bob Jones RV in South Houston).

We had them do several significant upgrades: double battery capacity, upgrade solar charge controller, install interior LPG switch, quieten generator. We can now boondock to the extent that we wish to.
TavaraTravel (Leigh and Betty),
We have the same Interstate and wish to do similar upgrades to be able to boondock too. It was suggested at JC that doubling the batteries would help but beyond that we’re unsure about what else to do. We would appreciate connecting with you to see how your changes are working out. Is there a convenient way to connect with you? I’m not competent about usage of this site.
Cathie and Jerry
catjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #92
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by catjer View Post
TavaraTravel (Leigh and Betty),
We have the same Interstate and wish to do similar upgrades to be able to boondock too. It was suggested at JC that doubling the batteries would help but beyond that we’re unsure about what else to do. We would appreciate connecting with you to see how your changes are working out. Is there a convenient way to connect with you? I’m not competent about usage of this site.
Cathie and Jerry
email me leigh @ tayara.com
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #93
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Just returned to South carolina after fleeing the hurricane. I got "stuck" on the way back from Georgia in rapidly rising water in Marion, SC and had to boondock overnight, my 2nd time, in a Wal-Mart parking lot, (first was my original contribution to this post). This time, I turned off everything but fridge. It had been cloudy and raining all day so my solar read 85%. Batteries did ok, slight drain, but after 3 hours I couldn't take humidity, so I turned on generator and air for about 3 hours. I cut everything off around 10pm and opened side windows. I couldn't run fantastic fan due to rain. Batteries held up, food stayed cold until I ran generator and air again from 5am-7am when I hit the road. I'll head to AM solar this fall for upgrades so I don't have to worry so much about draining batteries and still run the air. I only ran the batteries down to almost zero once while in Texas (original post) running fridge and fantastic fan overnight. So I think I was lucky they still hold charge pretty well. There really is no way to sleep running generator and air....way to loud. I want to be able to boondock, but I am not really a "boondocker." Full hook up is what I prefer. I also could not charge phone via outlets unless generator was running? That didn't really make sense to me, but that is what I noticed.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:08 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You did it again, and learned a bit more...good for you!

You might get a charger for your electronics that fits the 12volt on your dash, and any others you may have in your newer rig, that’s what most of us do, and I even have a long extension cord in case I want to read on my IPad when the battery is low.

I mostly prefer boondocking and dry camping in moderate weather...if I need AC or heat I like to have electricity, it’s just easier.

Are you sure your vent fan won’t run in the rain? There is a newer model one on mine that can be run in the rain and reversed to blow air in instead of pulling it out.

I believe learning how to trust and manage our rigs without electricity is a necessary survival skill we should all have. It’s a bit of a leap of faith, but a good thing to know, in my opinion,

You don’t have to like boondocking, nor prefer it, to be able to do it on occasion when a need or the convenience arises.

Maggie
Old 09-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #95
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Thanks. Livin and learnin... that's what its all about! And lovin it![emoji71]*♀️
Old 09-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #96
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Thanks. Livin and learnin... that's what its all about! And lovin it![emoji71]*♀️
Those imoges aren't mine..LOL
Old 09-19-2018, 05:22 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
... I couldn't run fantastic fan due to rain. ....
I have a blog post here which describes how to add the optional rain shroud. It's one of the first mods that we ever did - and it's extremely easy. No skills required.

It's CRAZY to me that these rigs are sold without this hood. When is ventilation most needed? In the highest humidity! When is humidity the highest? In the rain! Duh...
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:38 AM   #98
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Thanks, I had that on my list of things to check into. Once area flooding has resolved, I'll head to camping world.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:15 AM   #99
2 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Mansderm161 - did you buy your AI at Camping World?
MLWilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:00 AM   #100
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
No, I bought my AI at RV one in Orlando. I thought they were very good to deal with. It was the closest place for me that had exactly what I wanted. My walk through was 4 hours, I could have gone longer with them if I wanted, but I was saturated with info and just wanted to get it home and read the manuals. They answered all my questions and seemed knowledgeable about the unit and the brand. Camping world does not do a lot of business in the class B arena. And I would not use camping world for service unless it was a last resort.