Old 06-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Generator Exhaust Pipe Fell Off!

While driving a couple of days ago, my generator exhaust pipe fell off from the generator! Fortunately, I was exiting the freeway. When I examined it with the emergency roadside person, we noticed that the c-clamps and pipe had rusted. The AI Parts department was closed for inventory on Friday. So, I am now driving with the exhaust pipe held in place with a rope. Has anyone experienced this? If yes, what did you do?

roadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Not sure if you are on the road or use your interstate as a daily driver but why not just take the exhaust pipe off for now? Hopefully you aren't planning to use your generator with the rope holding the pipe up, could catch fire. If you need to use it, get some plumbers tape or wire to hold it up for now until a better fix can be made.

Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
You may have to deal with through onan-cummins. I believe the generater is treated like any other appliance. Some AS dealers just refer repairs to the generater mfg. did it break off or just come off. If it is just a clamp, the dealer or any rv place should be able to reattach. If broken, it may have to be welded. What does your booklet for the generator show. Reading the owners manuals can be very helpful. Jim
avionstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:15 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Mine fell off once, but it was not rusted clamps that caused it. The voltage regulator on mine had fried itself— literally, it was scorched— so I had to take it to my local Cummins/Onan dealer for a warranty repair. The service technician who performed the work neglected to replace the clamps when he re-installed the generator! The exhaust pipe fell off after driving almost exactly 8 miles, so naturally after I stopped to pick up the exhaust pipe, I made a U-turn and went straight back to the Cummins/Onan dealer, where I got it re-installed properly, with an apology.

Ron_CA's advice is best. Since the generator isn't critical equipment, remove the exhaust pipe until it can be re-installed, rather than hanging it with a rope. But you don't HAVE to take it to Cummins/Onan if there isn't one close by. Any RV repair shop should be able to replace generator exhaust pipe clamps. They just wouldn't be able to do it under warranty. But then again, how long IS the generator warranty? I forget. Point is, Cummins/Onan might not do it for free either if the warranty has expired, so no harm in taking it elsewhere. CALL your local dealer to find out before making the trip.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master
2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
The exhaust pipe came loose from the generator; I assume due to a loose clamp. By the time I realized I was dragging the pipe along the surface of the road it had worn through and required replacement which was done at an Airstream dealer under warranty. On my 2010 Interstate the generator exhaust pipe is Airstream Part number is 511811-09. Yours may be different.
- wayne
2010 Interstate 3500 Twin Bed
(2008 Freightliner CRD Sprinter)
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The nuts on one of the hanger brackets/clamps both came off on mine. Just replaced and check periodically. Since AS installs the generator, I assume they didn't tighten the clamps sufficiently.
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is simply a glass that was over designed.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Thanks everyone for your advice. I will take off the exhaust pipe. I have already contacted the AI in my area. I will call Cummins tomorrow. You all are so helpful. Really appreciate it.
roadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:50 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member
2006 22' Interstate
Anacortes , Washington
I had the same problem. Was pulled over by the state police in NC who pointed out my generator exhaust pipe was dragging on the roadway producing spectacular sparks. Tied it up with string temporarily until could get underneath. Earlier I had the local Camping World do some work on the generator and it seems they did not tighten the exhaust pipe bracket adequately and it came loose. No big deal and thanks to the state troopr we caught it before it wore through. Since then I added a wire hanger which hopefully will catch and support the exhaust pipe at the generator end if it ever comes loose again.

Interstate20 is offline   Reply With Quote