Old 07-27-2016, 05:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
- , VT, AZ, CA
Generator Control

Has anyone installed a Cummings Onan Energy Command 30 ("EC-30", not the discontinued wireless EC-30W) or some similar device in a late-model Interstate ? https://power.cummins.com/sites/defa.../900-0541B.pdf

This is an autostart control panel that links to the air conditioner's temperature sensor to power up the generator, and turn it off. Certainly an EC-30 should be compatible with the genset, but I'm wondering whether it plays nicely with the Mini-PCS load manager and the installed air conditioner.

I'm awaiting delivery and new to all this, but if I understand correctly the genset needs to be started and left on if there is no shore power and air conditioning is desired. Especially given the relatively small propane tank and relatively loud generator, an autostart control seems almost essential.

Thank you.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:36 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by don000 View Post
Has anyone installed a Cummings Onan Energy Command 30 ("EC-30", not the discontinued wireless EC-30W) or some similar device in a late-model Interstate ? https://power.cummins.com/sites/defa.../900-0541B.pdf

This is an autostart control panel that links to the air conditioner's temperature sensor to power up the generator, and turn it off. Certainly an EC-30 should be compatible with the genset, but I'm wondering whether it plays nicely with the Mini-PCS load manager and the installed air conditioner.

I'm awaiting delivery and new to all this, but if I understand correctly the genset needs to be started and left on if there is no shore power and air conditioning is desired. Especially given the relatively small propane tank and relatively loud generator, an autostart control seems almost essential.

Thank you.
Seems like it ought to work, provided you also include the optional shore power sensor— you don't want the generator to interrupt 30-amp shore power to start a generator that only provides 20 amps when interior temperatures get out of control.

As an aside— Your post is not the first place I've seen reference to a "relatively small propane tank." Given that the propane tank holds 14 gallons or 60 pounds of propane, I'd hardly call that "small." It's as much as two 30# portable cylinders on a typical Airstream trailer.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:03 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Sautee , Georgia
Protagonist you are correct of course, the tank is very adequate for long term use of the stove and the hot water heater, but not so much for the generator especially under a full load like the AC. The comments about the tank size also relate to the relative inconvenience of refilling compared to a diesel powered gen set. So, yes the tank is relatively large but it seems small based on the frequency of refill, if used to fuel the generator, and the inconvenience of refill compared to diesel.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:43 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
So, yes the tank is relatively large but it seems small based on the frequency of refill, if used to fuel the generator, and the inconvenience of refill compared to diesel.
That was only a side comment. The main point was the necessity for the optional shore power sensor. Don't want to lose sight of what's important.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The Onan burns about 1/2 gallon per hour under a heavy load (17-20 amps). One reason Airstream doesn't use a diesel generator is the size for equivalent output is too big. At least that's what they said.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote