Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2018, 10:05 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Too bad. I was hoping they wouldn't say that. If it was under $300 it would have been worth it for me to get, even though I may never use it. But not $450 for a re-code that triggers off of the same code path that turns the a/c or vent on at temp set points. They already have the code, since the bigger coaches with Firefly have AGS. Oh, well.
Yeah this is odd. It's not like they have to write new code to get it to work since this feature can be ordered on the '19s, so it's already done. $450 for a reflash of the FireFly to add it?!?! There must be more to it.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:13 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Huntington Beach , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Yeah this is odd. It's not like they have to write new code to get it to work since this feature can be ordered on the '19s, so it's already done. $450 for a reflash of the FireFly to add it?!?! There must be more to it.....
There might be more to it... Can't think of anything but who knows?

On the other hand, it will cost much more than that by adding inverter hardware to implement generator Autostart. Not to mention that this feature will make my wife happy...
Boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom23 View Post
There might be more to it... Can't think of anything but who knows?

I was thinking that too, but the FireFly already starts the genny, so it has all the control logic (hardware) to implement this. All it needs is software to implement a timer and exclusions (quiet hours, etc) and viola, all done. I'd be very surprised if it was more than just a software update.....

Has anyone reading this forum ordered a '19 that can tell us how much AS is charging for this option? FireFly might be contractually obligated to charge the same amount, and I can certainly see AS charging that much given their $955 air mattress for the front seats.....
Old 05-19-2018, 08:59 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
I decided to go ahead with the Firefly generator auto start software update. In my opinion, it is much simpler (just software, firefly has all the signals/controls required) to implement.

The firefly generator auto start cost at $450 is on the high side but I already fried my house batteries in my first two weeks of usage... I am used to (marine) Lithium batteries and lots of solar that actually work. I pushed the AGMs to last through the night and now they do not hold charge.

So, I am now installing two additional Lifeline AGM batteries, Renogy MPPT solar controller and Blue Sea battery isolator, and the firefly generator auto start. I hope this will make the AI usable overnight without shore power, at least on sunny days.

I will also install a lot of sound deadening material to make the generator more bearable. It is freaking LOUD!!!
Old 05-19-2018, 09:04 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
I decided to go ahead with the Firefly generator auto start software update. In my opinion, it is much simpler (just software, firefly has all the signals/controls required) to implement.
CONGRATS ! For your intended use, I agree it is worth having, if anything to make sure you save your new house batteries.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:23 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
So, I am now installing two additional Lifeline AGM batteries, Renogy MPPT solar controller and Blue Sea battery isolator, and the firefly generator auto start. I hope this will make the AI usable overnight without shore power, at least on sunny days.
Just an opinion here (which you didn't ask for). Among the improvements you listed, I think doubling the available Ah with additional batteries will be bring the biggest improvement in your comfort and peace of mind. You should certainly be able to go overnight without dropping to less than 50% state of charge.

I think the MPPT charge controller and Blue Sea Isolator provide more incremental improvements and the autostart then gives you insurance against a severe battery drain. Really loud insurance but insurance just the same.
Ryoungca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:02 AM   #47
Prof. of Pending Projects

Orlando , Florida
Agreed... changing the solar controller to the Victron unit and installing the Blue Sea ML-ACR 7622 made a world of improvement and peace of mind.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:01 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
I tend to overdo things... so, extra insurance is always good for me.

I got spoiled with the 700Ah Lithium batteries and 800W solar on my boat. With a good BMS, Lithium batts are pretty much indestructible. I may tackle this on the RV one day. Replacing the alternator with an externally controlled one is not a fun job.

In addition, we have a little dog that we sometimes leave in the RV. The AC auto start is an extra peace of mind, especially for my wife. I understand that the auto start might malfunction, everything can, but I will keep a close eye on it.

In a couple of weeks I should have some info on the Firefly generator auto start.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #49
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
In addition, we have a little dog that we sometimes leave in the RV. The AC auto start is an extra peace of mind, especially for my wife. I understand that the auto start might malfunction, everything can, but I will keep a close eye on it.

In a couple of weeks I should have some info on the Firefly generator auto start.
Awesome, can't wait for your report. So not only are you a Beta Test recipient for Firefly AGS, but also a Beta Test provider for your little doggie. Did you get consent from little doggie to be Beta Tester ?
Old 05-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
Quote:
Awesome, can't wait for your report. So not only are you a Beta Test recipient for Firefly AGS, but also a Beta Test provider for your little doggie. Did you get consent from little doggie to be Beta Tester ?
Does the tail wagging count?

She has crossed the Pacific with us, on a sailboat, and is happy to be wherever we are. She volunteers for everything. She even chased a shark one time! I wish I had it on video... Amazing little dog.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #51
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
She even chased a shark one time! I wish I had it on video... Amazing little dog.
Anyone chasing shark voluntarily is a perfect Beta Tester. No fear!

BTW - is that RV park near the pier good for 1 or 2 nights? I usually do some bike rides up and down PCH to Malibu, Oxnard area 1 day and then to San Clemente, Solano Beach the next. So Huntington is the perfect center spot. But the nightclub noise across PCH can carry through to pier at night? Although, may just turn up the A/C on high and drown the noise.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
Quote:
Anyone chasing shark voluntarily is a perfect Beta Tester. No fear!

BTW - is that RV park near the pier good for 1 or 2 nights? I usually do some bike rides up and down PCH to Malibu, Oxnard area 1 day and then to San Clemente, Solano Beach the next. So Huntington is the perfect center spot. But the nightclub noise across PCH can carry through to pier at night? Although, may just turn up the A/C on high and drown the noise.
I wish I had information for you, but this is my first RV and I have used it for 2 weeks only... This is very new to me.

I do not think it gets too loud around here. Also, the wind usually low from the ocean to the land, carrying the sound away a little. I would guess it is OK, noise wise. If you have to make a reservation by phone, maybe they will have better information.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #53
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
I wish I had information for you, but this is my first RV and I have used it for 2 weeks only... This is very new to me.
Same here, 1st RV, only had it 2-mos. I see that rv park everytime I am down there. One of the best views. With our loud A/C and loud Gen, have enough dB to drown out any noise

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-05-20-14-35-23-1.png
Views:	52
Size:	771.9 KB
ID:	311515

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-05-20-14-35-53-1.png
Views:	56
Size:	602.5 KB
ID:	311516

Love your town
Old 05-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
Beautiful setup you have! Your family looks really stressed!!

Enjoy.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #55
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Beautiful setup you have! Your family looks really stressed!!

Enjoy.
Not mine. People we know from when we lived in Balboa many, many years ago sent us those pics. They introduced us to AS. I WISH it was my setup. Mine is just a standard AI Lounge. Too chicken to drive trailers
Old 05-20-2018, 09:07 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
Quote:
Not mine. People we know from when we lived in Balboa many, many years ago sent us those pics. They introduced us to AS. I WISH it was my setup. Mine is just a standard AI Lounge. Too chicken to drive trailers
Ha Ha! So am I... My wife wanted an AS really bad. I've tried trailers some time ago and I was a nervous wreck. Not again. Hence, the Interstate, which I really like so far, with few improvements.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:58 AM   #57
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Ha Ha! So am I... My wife wanted an AS really bad. I've tried trailers some time ago and I was a nervous wreck. Not again. Hence, the Interstate, which I really like so far, with few improvements.
LOL!

I see people on various forums talking about being nervous driving the Interstate in windy conditions. I've driven Class A's, B's, C's, and pulled trailers. If you want to lose your wits driving in wind, pull a big trailer like a 30' [insert your brand of choice here]. You're totally helpless. At least with the A/B/C you have some control because you have a steering wheel at your disposal. Imagine just having a teensy weensy ball and hitch and getting slammed with wind! Never again.....

And now back to noisy generators....
Old 05-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #58
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
And now back to noisy generators....
What noisy generators? Mine is always quiet, it's off 100% of the time But seriously, we have only been using full-hookups to date and don't see that pattern changing. So, if long-term (2-3yrs) usage shows we don't use gen at all, that may be the turn-around point to say time to consider removing that thing altogether and spending some $ on LB3/INTERBLOG's Lithium upgrades and Advanced RV Quiet(er) A/C. I can put up with A/C but the gen is indeed a "noise-generator"