Old 08-21-2015, 03:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Looks like they either forgot the heatshield or it fell off. Mine almost did because both nuts came off the muffler clamp that held it on. Fortunately it made such a racket when it was running that I noticed and replaced them.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #16
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Probably you've checked ahead to ensure that the place where you are staying allows you to run your generator all night. Some parks are fussy about their generator hours.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Looks like they either forgot the heatshield or it fell off. Mine almost did because both nuts came off the muffler clamp that held it on. Fortunately it made such a racket when it was running that I noticed and replaced them.
I think they stopped putting them on altogether. I have pics underneath a 2014.5 and there isn't a heat shield.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Obviously one is needed as evidenced by your problem. Wouldn't be too hard to fab one from a small diameter duct pipe. Cut it in half lengthwise and use muffler clamps to attach it to the exhaust pipe.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
I think I am just going to get an angle bracket and attach it to the generator exhaust clamp and use it to keep from hitting the exhaust.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:33 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
You have to crawl under the motorhome. There is a panel that you must remove to gain access to the oil fill hole and the dip stick to check the oil. There is enough room to remove that panel without lowering the spare tire. However, adding oil is difficult with the spare tire in place, but not impossible. I use an old fashioned oil can squirter. It is a slow process but the generator only holds one quart of oil. The red piece in the photos below is the dip stick.

By the way, Onan wants the oil changed after 20 hours of operation.

Just wanted to let you know how helpful your pictures were. We got our oil changed yesterday and the guy was having trouble dealing with the spare. UNTIL I showed him your pictures! He went and got his oil can and job done! Thanks so much for your help.

Laura

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-25-2015, 01:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
jerhofer - those pictures are great. How do you keep your spare and generator so clean? Mine is covered with mud from our trip to Alaska and the back roads on Minnesota. I had to get under the van and scrub and spay off the dirt so I could change the oil in generator without getting covered by dirt.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:15 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
I use a turkey baster to put oil in mine. Not exactly easy but man I can't imagine all the pumping it would take to do it with an oil can! Hint: Don't take the turkey baster out of the kitchen drawer and put it in your tool box ... or you might be really hungry come November 26th! A better option for oil changes would be a manual transmission oil pump. Should be available at any autoparts store right next to their bottles of gear oil. Problem is they are designed to fit into a gear oil bottle which has a much larger neck than a motor oil bottle. . . so unless you have a manual gear box car that needs fresh fluid in the tranny I can't tell you where to get an empty bottle to use. I do think they also sell fluid pumps that look like big grease guns, might be the professional way to do this.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I used a suction gun that looks like a grease gun w/o the lever and is designed to remove the oil from a differential or transmission. It worked fine for filling the generator with the quart of oil.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:38 AM   #24
The Silver Biscuit

2004 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Maybe a dumb question, but in hot weather don't you have to run the generator so you can air condition the rear, assuming you've got passengers (or wine) back there?

This electrical stuff is mind numbing...
Old 08-31-2015, 02:06 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Yes - you need the generator or shore power to run the A/C.

- - Mike
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:49 AM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie39j View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but in hot weather don't you have to run the generator so you can air condition the rear, assuming you've got passengers (or wine) back there?
You can run the generator while the van is moving, provided (1) there is enough oil in the generator; (2) you avoid steep grades or bumpy roads where oil can slosh or splash away from the low-oil sensor.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:29 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamato View Post
Just wanted to let you know how helpful your pictures were. We got our oil changed yesterday and the guy was having trouble dealing with the spare. UNTIL I showed him your pictures! He went and got his oil can and job done! Thanks so much for your help.

Laura

I apologize for not replying sooner but, for some reason, I did not receive any notifications from this thread until today.

Laura,

You are very welcome and I am pleased the photos helped.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
jerhofer - those pictures are great. How do you keep your spare and generator so clean? Mine is covered with mud from our trip to Alaska and the back roads on Minnesota. I had to get under the van and scrub and spay off the dirt so I could change the oil in generator without getting covered by dirt.

- - Mike
We only have around 12,000 miles on the AI and not many dirt roads have been traveled. We are about to add a bunch more miles as we are leaving soon to go the west coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
I use a turkey baster to put oil in mine. Not exactly easy but man I can't imagine all the pumping it would take to do it with an oil can! Hint: Don't take the turkey baster out of the kitchen drawer and put it in your tool box ... or you might be really hungry come November 26th! A better option for oil changes would be a manual transmission oil pump. Should be available at any autoparts store right next to their bottles of gear oil. Problem is they are designed to fit into a gear oil bottle which has a much larger neck than a motor oil bottle. . . so unless you have a manual gear box car that needs fresh fluid in the tranny I can't tell you where to get an empty bottle to use. I do think they also sell fluid pumps that look like big grease guns, might be the professional way to do this.
I have a manual pump for filling a transmission. It is a very messy situation even when there is good access to the fill hole. I believe I would have had oil everywhere had I used it.

Also, there was an earlier comment about melting the mud flap with the generator exhaust. Since I had recently run the generator for a couple hours while driving, I checked and could find no damage. My heat shield is in place and, evidently, doing its duty.

jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote