Old 08-10-2016, 03:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Belvedere , California
General Observations after 8000 miles of use - 2016 AI Lounge 4WD

Hi All,

Here are some thoughts after traveling with my family of 6 approx 8500 miles since April in our our new 2016 AI 4WD.

- In General the MBZ Sprinter features work great. My only two annoyances were that the vehicle does not feature Dynamic Cruise Control, which would be a great feature. Also, the sliding door can be heavy, especially when parked on a hill. A soft close feature (or better yet full power such as on most minivans) would be a welcome addition. The "no bio-diesel" thing is a bit of a bust in Minnesota, where they mandate bio-diesel.

- I had minimal problems on the trip from the Airstream upfit, and was overall very pleased with the performance of the AI. The problems I did have were tweaky / minor things (some of my automatic blinds needed limit adjustments, the bathroom fan developed an issue, and I developed one annoying squeak at about 6000 miles.) The only "real" issue I had was the solar controller giving up the ghost during my return trip (or at least the remote has - will know next week)

- Suggestion for Airstream: Add a single option package, the "dry camping package", including the following: Upgraded battery capacity, upgraded solar capacity, a better solar controller and an upgraded inverter. It would save many of us the work we end up doing anyway.

- It's a fantastic travel vehicle for 6 people. We would have been comfortable with 8. It's a fantastic sleeping vehicle for 2 people, with 4 a possibility of two of them are kids!

- We hit the following NP's, and camped at each one (to house six of us, we pitch a tent for 4 and 2 sleep in the AI.) Death Valley, Kings Canyon / Sequoia, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, Escalante National Monument, Mount Rushmore National Monument, and Badlands National Park. We also visited 4 state parks.

-We used the 4WD in several situations, including a thunderstorm in Utah when on Hells Backbone Road, and in the Bonneville Salt Flats.

- I was amazed at the stability of the vehicle in a variety of situations, including driving through a 40MPH cross wind in the plains.

- Outdoor shower = awesome. For all kinds of stuff, including cleaning kids, cleaning dogs, and simply cooling off!

- Averaged 16mpg, at close to max GVW

- We visited Wall Drug. Couldn't resist after 400 miles of signs.

- We didn't see as many AI's on the road as we thought we would, but did see a fellow Silver 2016 at the gas station at 1880 town in South Dakota about a week ago.

- The bed is comfortable!

- Leveling Blocks are important

mdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Nice post!

Leveling blocks are crucial. But they need not be commercially-produced blocks. I have poor depth perception but good balance. Therefore my parking skills are not great but my leveling skills are improving steadily. On our current trip, I'm perfecting the process of finding Just The Right Rocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-IMG_6156.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	583.6 KB
ID:	268690  
InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote