Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Gearspace 34 Cargo Carrier

I just purchased an Interstate 3500 EXT Lounge. Does anyone know if a Gearspace 34 Cargo Carrier when fully extended allows you to open either or both back doors?
eliasurbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Houston , Texas
Not sure exactly which cargo carrier I had but it swung out enough to open the doors but I would have to hold the door open. It would not allow the door to extend all the way so it would stay on its own. I bought an aluminum toolbox and had it custom tailored with lights etc and mounted it on the frame.....so took the black plastic carrier off.
Brentsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Thanks! I bought the Gearspace 34 with the hitch that extends out far enough to open the back doors fully. If I need to remove the storage pod, the unit I purchased has 4 legs with wheels to roll away.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
Jeff

2010 22' Interstate
Clearwater , Florida
would you mind telling me where you purchased your Gearspace 34? There appear to be several places on line to purchase one but i did not see anything about the legs to roll it away when removed.
Jcmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Do you transfer the license plate to the pod when you're using it? In Louisiana, at least, it's illegal to obscure the license plate, which includes blocking it with a cargo pod. That's one reason why I've only used a cargo tray, not a box.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist
Do you transfer the license plate to the pod when you're using it? In Louisiana, at least, it's illegal to obscure the license plate, which includes blocking it with a cargo pod. That's one reason why I've only used a cargo tray, not a box.
I made a color copy of my plate, laminated it and put it on the box. Looks exactly like the original that is on the van.
Brentsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsouth View Post
I made a color copy of my plate, laminated it and put it on the box. Looks exactly like the original that is on the van.
Good idea!

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Good idea!
Might even be legal, too, as long as the original plate stays on the vehicle.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsouth View Post

Excellent idea! I will follow your lead.
Tnx: Dennis

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Gearspace 34

Sorry for super late response. You can purchase it at Let's Go Aero. Including the wheels that support roll on and off applications. The box is better supported by the 4 leg version over 3 leg version for rolling with weight so you do not have to unload.

On the web site you can see pic of license plate on left bottom.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
A rolling version sounds interesting. Plus, it would make it easy to detach, secure (usually a long aircraft cable is good enough), and use as a marker at campgrounds to keep people from taking your site.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Just got my GearSpace 34 yesterday. This thing is huge! Hopefully our new luggage capacity will inspire some extended trips in the future.

I too bought the heavy duty 4-legged landing gear. I do have a small issue they are working to resolve. The website and helpful sales person both recommended that I go with the longer of their two leg length options based on my hitch pin height of 15.5". Unfortunately I found that the legs are actually slightly too long to allow them to swing easily from the extended to folded position (or visa versa). They are shipping me the shorter legs to swap out next week. Once I have them in place I will report back. Overall I am impressed with the box and their customer service.

One other note. They warned me to inspect the packaging closely when it came off of the truck (due to size it ships via UPS Freight). Sure enough, there was a tear in the cardboard where a fork lift grazed it and there is some slight cosmetic abrasion to the box. I had the driver document it but I have not decided if I am going to bother filing a claim. It's just enough to bother me a little bit but nowhere near enough that I would actually send it back for replacement. It's kind of like that first door ding in a new car. Grrrr.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
This is really good info. Although I ordered my box, I have not tried installation yet because I am having the interior seats redone. Did the shorter legs work for you vs. the longer legs?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Have not had a chance to install them yet. Will post back up next week.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
I finally put the shorter legs on. I think they are the better way to go vs. the longer ones. The shorter ones are about an inch from being fully extended when adjusted to fit the RV but the longer ones were in contact with the ground and required a lot of force to swing through their deployment/retraction arc even in the shortest position. I wish they offered a leg that was half way between the two lengths. I am thinking about switching out two of the casters for fixed wheels with brake locks. This thing is large and unwieldy to roll around with no directional stability, I think it will be better with two wheels that are fixed to a straight ahead position (I would put both of the fixed wheels on the hitch side of the box) and since it wants to take off if there is the slightest incline the brakes will be a good addition as well.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Pics on Cargo 34 Let's Go Aero

Back Look
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1731.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	381.8 KB
ID:	190559

Telescoping rails and wheel drop downs

Name:	IMG_1732.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	190560

Door Clearence

Name:	IMG_1733.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	190561

Holds 250 lbs of camping stuff, roll away wheels are heavy duty long and works great. Short roll away wheels would work also.