Old 10-14-2016, 01:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Garmin Map update in DNX7190HD

I'm posting this to help others that might want to update their map software. To purchase the new map you need to go through the Garmin Express and start at this Garmin web site for Kenwood units:
https://kenwood.garmin.com/kenwood/

I just purchase the latest Garmin 2016 map software for $70. When I tried to load it into my Kenwood DNX7190HD I received an error message that said: "There is not enough space on the device to install the map update from USB storage device. Please contact your Kenwood dealer or service center."

After contacting Kenwood they referred me to Garmin AEOM. After three calls to Garmin I finally got a technician who knew the correct solution. The new map is too large for the internal 4GB memory of the DNX7190HD. So you need to get the map on an SD card and just install it in the head unit and the Garmin software will automatically use the new map. No need to upload new map via the USB connection.

To get this map upgrade you will need an SD card reader that plugs into the USB connector in the glove box of your Interstate Sprinter. Then follow these steps.
  1. Connect empty SD Card (16GB) to Kenwood through USB connector.
  2. Go to Map Systems setting and press "MAP UPGRADE" option. This will load required data on your unit to the SD card so you can get a new map.
  3. Go to web site I mentioned above and go through steps to buy new map and add Garmin Express to your PC (I used a Windows 7 system).
  4. Load map to SD card via the USB connection on your PC.
  5. Take SD card only and plug it into the slot in the Kenwood. On the DNX7190HD it is just below the CD/DVD slot behind the main screen.
  6. The Garmin software will then read the new map directly from the SD card. No need to do any other map upload via the USB port.
Hope this helps someone.

- - Mike

Old 10-14-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
What a PITA!

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
I got away from that drama a long time ago. I purchased large screen rv specific Garmin GPS with lifetime free map updates and free traffic. I use the installed Kenwood unit for listening to Sat radio & MP3 Discs and for bluetooth phone communication so the GPS is not interrupted by phone calls. I do route planning on my pc or laptop and upload the routes to the Garmin. Very effective procedure and has worked perfectly for about 25,000 miles.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
What a PITA!
It was. I went through all the steps, thinking the first upgrade would be free for my 2016. But there was no way or option to get that free upgrade. Contacted my salesman and he said Airstream no long has that negotiated upgrade even though the manual still states it!

Make matters worse, mine keeps pestering me saying that my map is from 2014. Not 2016, or 2015 but 2014.

Out of principle I have not yet done the upgrade!
Old 10-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
My Kenwood DNX7190HD has actually worked very well over the past three years. I've kept the Kenwood software updated and have updated the map at my cost once before. I never saw anything about free upgrades from Airstream.

Having an up to date map helps a lot the way I use the Garmin to find points of interest while traveling.

The only complaints I have is the Kenwood/Garmin is slow to calculate routes, especially when recalculating. Although Bluetooth works very well if you always use the same device, it is problematic to switch to a different device.

The problem I had with this recent map upgrade was Garmin's fault for not providing better written instructions. Once I had the correct information the map upgrade was a breeze.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Old 10-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
This RV Garmin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
I purchased large screen rv specific Garmin GPS with lifetime free map updates and free traffic. I do route planning on my pc or laptop and upload the routes to the Garmin. Very effective procedure and has worked perfectly for about 25,000 miles.
This one?
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-760LMT...ct_top?ie=UTF8

My Kenwood does have one cute idiosyncrasy...she says "Bleft"
Old 10-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtom View Post
This one?
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-760LMT...ct_top?ie=UTF8

My Kenwood does have one cute idiosyncrasy...she says "Bleft"
Yes. I have it mounted at the top of the left center air vents using a ProClip Center Mount. Note: if you go this route, don't order the Extra Strength Mount because it will interfere with the dash door above the radio. The regular one will work just fine and it puts the GPS in a perfect spot.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Here's a pic of my RV 760 on the mount and a pic of the mount with the traffic receiver at the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV 760 LMT.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	273562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	273563  

Old 10-15-2016, 06:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Google Maps works fine for me. Usually have a passenger or 2 and they do the play by play.

Last time I updated a vehicle it was outdated info so have refused to do it anymore.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Google maps is very good and probably the most current map information available. But it requires data connection and a large data plan. I do use Google maps and Waze when in metro areas with traffic. But I'm occasionally out of cell coverage and only have a 2GB data plan.

I also use the Copilot app on my iPhone as a backup navigation device. Then there is always a paper map if all else fails.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Old 10-15-2016, 10:08 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
FYI, you can pre-load Google maps when you are home/on WiFi. You add it to "offline areas" and then you don't need a data connection to see the map. That said, I have been caught by not doing that and the infotainment map saved my behind.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:39 PM   #12
Trying to Retire

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pinehurst , North Carolina
Wow. Was getting ready to upgrade my maps software. Shame on AIrstream for continuing to install a head unit that doesn't support such basic features as GPS maps.

Anyone have recommendations on a better head unit? I use an iPhone.

Mike
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:14 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Rock Hall , Maryland
Thank you Baxter! I just updated my maps. Would not have known about the SD card unless you shared.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
UPDATE on my Kenwood/Garmin upgrade. With about 300 miles since upgrading the map I can say that the map feature works much better. It recalculates faster then ever. It's also nice to have updated POI data for the way I use the unit when traveling. The traffic data is also most useful when driving in metro areas.

Some may consider $70 too much to upgrade maps, but consider that most OEM installed GPS map systems require upgrades that cost $100s or more. I know many people driving around with maps that are 5-10 years old because they are too expensive to upgrade through the dealer service network.

Of course smart phones or standalone GPS units are a good alternative. As a side note: I had an opportunity to drive a Tesla recently -- their giant display with Google maps was fantastic!