Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Garbage bag in AI?

Hi Everyone,

I know this is a pretty basic request, but we haven't yet figured out a good location for putting a garbage bag/container in our AI. To date we have been using small plastic bags placed on one of the rear captain chairs. Not a great solution.

Does anyone have a better solution to this? We have the pretty standard configuration for the 2014 AI with four captain chairs.
BrianKrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
My Interstate has a tall but narrow cabinet door in between the microwave and the fridge, that is just the right size to hold a small rectangular wastebasket that I line with plastic grocery bags. In fact, the wastebasket came with he Interstate, and that location is where the wastebasket was when I did my walk-through at the dealer. I thought that's just where it's supposed to be. I have to dump the trash pretty often with such as small wastebasket, but it works and it's out-of-sight and out of the way.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
I bought a small backpack type bag at Lowes and hook it to the driver side headrest and put a roll of small trash bags in the bottom and open one up inside. Stays out of the way even with passengers.

Also has some extra pockets for remotes, batteries etc.

Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
A temporary idea of mine that has become inadvertently routine: I bought a pair of those spring-loaded pop-up trash cans, one small one large, that are available at any auto supply or Walmart (about ten bucks for them). Depending on who is traveling and where and how much trash is being generated, I will loop the elastic band of the small one around the smoke detector or I will hang the large one off an over-door hook. Obviously neither would be suitable for holding any significant weight, but we have a dog, so the trash must be kept off limits or she will get into it. I only allow a small amount of trash to accumulate before removing it, so the small pop-up is used most of the time. I got one of those $5 RV plastic bag storage and dispensing things at Walmart and mounted it under the cabinet near the fresh water tank and that holds the bags.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151004_TRASH.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	249607  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
We put our trash in the bathroom. One bag for garbage and one for recyclables. Just remove when the bathroom is needed. Suction cups hold them close to the wall
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:16 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
We use a small rectangular waste basket that I bungee strap to the driver's seat base. The 10 gallon garbage bags fit perfectly.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:10 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
We put ours in the bathroom as well.. Put the draw string around the sink faucet.. We used to have one of the pop up trash bins but we kept tripping over it..
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I use an over the door hook,, on a lower cabinet, and hang one of those 3 gallon or so small black trash bags.

I can't remember the brand, but you can get them in WalMart, in the area that sells trash cans of all sizes.

I like them because they are sturdy, and the black is more unobtrusive than a grocer bag....they also a prone to holes.

Maggie
Old 10-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Clifton , Virginia
This fit my previous 2013 AI perfectly. No screws. It just hangs with provided broad hook. I used a felt bumper to eliminate any rattle. I got it on Amazon. Made by Simplehuman. Very nice quality. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1444017903.847109.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	249699
cjrdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:52 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Thanks

Thanks to all for your replies and your creative thinking on where to place a garbage can in the rig. We decided to try out one with a strap that can be placed on the back of the driver's seat:

Amazon.com: DRIVE Car Garbage Bag - Best Auto Trash Can for Litter, FREE Waste Basket Liners - Hanging Recycle Bin is Universal, Waterproof Organizer Makes a Great Drink Cooler & Road Trip Gift - 100% Guaranteed!: Automotive

It doubles as a drink cooler during the drive, although I'm not sure how I feel about using my garbage bag holder to store cold drinks...
BrianKrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:58 AM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKrueger View Post
It doubles as a drink cooler during the drive, although I'm not sure how I feel about using my garbage bag holder to store cold drinks...
You have two front seats, so get two of the gizmos. Use one full-time as a garbage bag holder and the other full-time as a cooler.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKrueger View Post
Thanks to all for your replies and your creative thinking on where to place a garbage can in the rig. We decided to try out one with a strap that can be placed on the back of the driver's seat:

Amazon.com: DRIVE Car Garbage Bag - Best Auto Trash Can for Litter, FREE Waste Basket Liners - Hanging Recycle Bin is Universal, Waterproof Organizer Makes a Great Drink Cooler & Road Trip Gift - 100% Guaranteed!: Automotive

I immediately had a vision of that product with my dog's head totally submerged in it and her joyous jaws converging on whichever piece of trash smelled best to her in that moment...

Canine notwithstanding, back-of-driver's-seat ideas have great potential in an Interstate. We have a mid-bath model and I recently added a magnetic organizer board directly behind the seat on the forward wall of the mid-bath compartment. It's already my favorite modification. We were on a tight time schedule this past weekend because we had to meet up with another party. I didn't have the time to pull into a C-store to rummage for every stupid little thing that I needed along the way (Chapstick because the air was dry, napkin because I ate my lunch burrito in my lap, dental floss pick after lunch, etc. etc.). It's extremely convenient to reach behind yourself and either grab useful items from a magnetic smorgasbord or deposit some trash without having to take your eyes off the road.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:03 AM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
back-of-driver's-seat ideas have great potential in an Interstate.
I've had a back-of-seat coat hanger on the back of the passenger-side front seat since my first trip to Mercedes Benz of Baton Rouge. The back-of-seat hanger is a great place to store raingear in summer, or a jacket in winter, since it's conveniently placed right beside the sliding side door. Now if I could figure out how to mount an umbrella stand beside the sliding door yet still out of the way…
Old 10-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Garbage bag in AI?

Remember those seats swivel round to face the table....... so any back of seat bins will then be on the wrong side for use.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #15

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Remember those seats swivel round to face the table....... so any back of seat bins will then be on the wrong side for use.
I normally use the table in the rear. Since my Lounge/Wardrobe floor plan only has three front seats and the galley is shoved forward to make room for the wardrobe closet, it's actually kind of impossible to use the table in front; it hits the galley cabinets.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Garbage bag in AI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I normally use the table in the rear. Since my Lounge/Wardrobe floor plan only has three front seats and the galley is shoved forward to make room for the wardrobe closet, it's actually kind of impossible to use the table in front; it hits the galley cabinets.

Humm, I also have the three seat layout, but my front table is almost a precision fit; the fridge door and draw above it both clear the table when open. They must have changed something, either the table shape or repositioned the table anchor in the floor. My table came with the corners cut off to make it octagonal.
Incidentally, the standard wastebasket - the same as yours - also fits the side door entry well perfectly, and that's where we leave it when we're inside cooking, eating, drinking, etc.

UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post

There are typically only 2 of us anytime the seats are swiveled so not really an issue to spin around to the front of seat.

If we want to sit in the drivers seat and still have immediate access can leave on back side by steering wheel or detached and stuck on floor etc.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote