Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Galley Drawers in 2017 AI GT fly open

We have had our new AI GT for about a month. In tight turns, one or more of the galley drawers fly open. Does anybody have any suggestions for modifications or tactical things that we can do to keep the drawers closed while underway? Thanks.
bankerhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Best advice I read here is to not allow anything loose in there. Otherwise they bounce around and make the problem worse. And of course don't overload them.

With these implemented we still see them open in extreme situations but normally they are fine. It is something you need to work on as you use the AI.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Thanks for the reply. One drawer even comes open empty...
Old 01-13-2017, 01:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
The draws were removed at some point, and not put back in the same locations. So the catch at the rear does not line up with the hardware. Try playing musical draws until you find the OME locations.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Lake Oswego , Oregon
are your door knobs in the closed position?
joe rv guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Yes, knobs closed. On that point, the knobs look like they retract only to get out of the way. There does not seem to be any latching function according to my observation.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankerhill View Post
Yes, knobs closed. On that point, the knobs look like they retract only to get out of the way. There does not seem to be any latching function according to my observation.
That's correct. We all wish they were actual retaining locks but they are not.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
You are correct - the knobs are not connected to any latching mechanism. There is a black plastic "over-center" catch on the drawers that can be adjusted to hold better. Mine would often open until I tweaked the catch a bit to improve the hold.

Here is the part I'm talking about:
http://www.southco.com/en-us/c3/c3-803

Here is an old thread on the topic:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...rs-128417.html
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
That's correct. We all wish they were actual retaining locks but they are not.
With the exception of the full-length wardrobe on my Lounge/Wardrobe model. I really don't know why all other doors and drawers don't have this feature.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:55 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Clifton , Virginia
I had the same problem. I doubled up on the latch at the back of the problem drawer.
cjrdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Charleston , South Carolina
We have a 2017 AI that had the same issue. The dealer replaced the latches with a stronger Airstream version of the latch. No issues at all since the work was completed.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:16 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
drawers

We had that problem with several of our drawers. I finally unloaded the drawer and turned it over and discovered the problem. During their construction they used a very narrow piece of plywood (!) along the front underside. The piece ran from one side to the other and was screwed in with just a few short screws. As a result, the plywood de-laminated and the mechanism that slides the drawer in and out was compromised. That made them pop off their tracks and open while traveling.

I ended up re-gluing the plywood and adding several more longer screws and now it stays closed. I finally just did this to all of the drawers and we had no more problems. This is just another example of AS taking the cheap, easy route instead of doing it right. But the fix was easy enough.

Also, that little latch that was previously mentioned (C3-803 - Southco) has a tendency to pop it's spring out or get into a position that won't latch. Sometimes you can re-set it with a flat head screwdriver, but sometimes not. It was so bad on the door under the main bed that I finally replaced it with a magnet latch. We keep "stuff" on the floor in front of that door while we travel anyway so that works for us.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Quote:

Same issue when we took our 2017 out on its first trip. I removed all drawers and had to shim out (used a bit of folded cardboard and some gorilla glue) a few of the catches so they latched better... most were just barely catching without this modification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you've only had it a month, I would take it back to the dealer to get the latches working properly.

Maggie
Old 01-14-2017, 02:13 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Sagle , Idaho
Quote:
We have had our new AI GT for about a month. In tight turns, one or more of the galley drawers fly open. Does anybody have any suggestions for modifications or tactical things that we can do to keep the drawers closed while underway? Thanks.
We take a yardstick and place it down through the drawer handle pulls. Not sure what your pulls might look like.
southsaglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
With the exception of the full-length wardrobe on my Lounge/Wardrobe model. I really don't know why all other doors and drawers don't have this feature.
I agree with you - for a few dollars more Airstream could have made all the overhead cabinets with dead bolt latches. I did it after having them come open on me once too often. Here is my original thread with details:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ts-128468.html
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:50 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Panama City Beach , Florida
One our recent trip to Florida for 2 weeks, we had this problem when making turns. When turning to the right the same drawer flies open. When turning to the left, the refrigerator flies open and all ends up on the floor and the refrigerator is LOCKED and the door seems to be secure! Now go figure that!!! The first time this happened with the drawer and the refrigerator it sounded like a bomb going off and scared both of us!!!!!!! Now that galley drawer is large and tall, it appears that it should accommodate our large items like the small single cup Keurig if you put it to the back side of the draw........well not........now it is sitting in the pantry in the back with a pillow between it and the door of the pantry. So my thoughts are if the drawer is deep and wide, why is flying open!!! Right now there is wasted storage space that is unusable cuz it won't stay closed when making turns, this could potentially damage the drawer slide hardware and cause more problems when trying to open and close. Upon checking we could not see where there was anything holding the drawer closed. We have not over stuffed our drawers and overhead bins; however, our overhead bin that is over the bench seat also came open when breaking......we will have this looked at when she is in for service.
2Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Not an Interstate, but had the problem with my trailer. I installed BabiesRUs drawer locks on the problem drawers and will ultimately be doing them all. If you can get it fixed under warranty, do that, but if not you may want to consider these:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...-155936-2.html

You may or may not have to make the modification to your drawers depending on how they are made. The locks need to mount with their front side even with the front side of the cabinet. The drawer's box front precluded that so I had to cut it out.

The locks themselves have a switch on them that enables/disables the lock. When enabled, a magnetic key is held at the front of the drawer and it unlocks. You can disable the lock when you are camped so you don't have to use the key all the time.

So far they have worked flawlessly.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The upper storage locker drop-down covers have adjustable springs on the hinges which can be tightened to the point that will make them difficult to open. Might try that before going the barrel lock option.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I had a similar problem with one drawer (pots and pans and other heavy stuff) in our FC20. Here are a few links I had from my solution research

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...-148215-3.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post1765544

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...127845-41.html

This obviously will not work everywhere but a simple gate latch works great if you have a slide out spice/can type of vertical drawer.

I eventually tired of the adjustable shower rod in the 568 post above and have since installed the Rev-a-lock ( like Al & Missy's post above) on my pot-pan drawer below the oven. It doesn’t work in all drawer designs. The hardware supplier indicated they sold them by the box to hospitals and Dr. offices, who use the rev-a-lock to secure drug supplies in patient rooms. A very slick design using reverse polarity to push the lock tab up (locked) and a magnet to release it (unlock it)

http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/p-192-cab...cessories.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8651 (Small).JPG
Views:	87
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	278133  
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote