Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Future Interstaters

My wife and I are total RV novices. We plan to buy a new 2017 Grand Tour late in this year, when the dealers start discounting.

As part of our homework, I'm joining this forum. I hope to learn from all of you.

== Leigh
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Welcome to Airforums!

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Welcome. You are doing great getting up to speed before buying it. I too did that but for shorter amount of time. It was still invaluable in know what to check for, how it worked, etc.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Welcome, and may you find exactly what you're looking for.

You will find a wealth of information here, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Maggie
Old 01-16-2017, 05:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Welcome to Air Forums. There are a handful of us here in greater Houston, some routinely active on this forum, some not.

Do you already have your preferred finishes picked out? You probably know that you might have to travel somewhere else in the country to get your best deal. If you get lucky, you might find something in Texas at an acceptable price. My husband and I bought used, and we had to travel to Tennessee to get our rig.

Also, the Houston RV show is Feb. 15-19 at the NRG Center. Might be worth jaw-boning with some dealers, get the word out about what you're hoping to buy.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Thanks. We are planning on the RV show for sure.

We are willing to travel reasonably far to find our AI. I've seen a lot of inventory online in the Austin (Buda) area.

My wife & I are in an active BMW Motorcycle club. We meet monthly for dinner, programs, and general BS. I kind of wish there were something like that for Airstream in the Houston area.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
J&J In A Can

Cottonwood , Arizona
Two cents: Now would be a good time to download the Owner Manual from Airstream and read it carefully cover to cover. Pay close attention to the electrical parts of the machine and if possible draw a block diagram from the text. Then compare to the electrical diagrams in the back of the manual to see how close you got it. This will help when you get your van and something looks wrong BEFORE you drive it home. When asking questions, the guys on the prep lot seem to have good information. The salesmen, not always. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Might consider renting one for the type of use you plan. That way you can go in with your eyes wide open on what to expect.

A good idea posited by others here is to video record your dealer's tutorial walk-around explaining how to operate all of the various pieces of equipment. And after they operate it, try it yourself to ensure you understand it.

Welcome to the Air Forums and good luck with your search.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Welcome!!!

There's a good group of folks here that have great knowledge and a genuine willingness to share it. The maturity level of the discussions here is unique for a web forum and fosters great dialog. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Now excuse me while I go tuck my hand under my arm and make farty sounds and blame it on the dog.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post

Now excuse me while I go tuck my hand under my arm and make farty sounds and blame it on the dog.....
There goes the neighborhood maturity level . . .

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Welcome. I'll be glad to meet up and share what I've learned. I'm inside the loop. Active motorcyclist. If you meet with the BMW club on the Sunday Goode Company Taqueria breakfast crew then we are close by. I switched from Sport Touring to the Wing for two-up and Africa Twin for my Adventure play. Will have the Airstream out in Big Bend with the Africa Twin mid-February. I've learned a great deal from some very smart and technical folks on this forum.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
My preference, not universally shared I realize, is for minimal donorcycle talk. LB_3 sold his around the time when we got our Interstate - it was sort of a package deal, get an RV, keep a wife, lose a cycle - it all works out reasonably well, I'd say. Houston Chronicle has a standard donorcycle block of text that they run every time a rider crosses over to the other side around here. Only the names and dates change. Here's one of them who remained alive long enough to get past that part of life, long enough to be currently pushing toward the home stretch on a lithium battery system:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Normal discounts on new Airstream travel trailers are in the 20% to 25% range. Does that hold true for Interstates?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Normal discounts on new Airstream travel trailers are in the 20% to 25% range. Does that hold true for Interstates?
I think 25% is pushing it. But it does depend on whether you are buying new old stock, or have ordered one to your own specs. I did the latter back in 2013, and got 18% off.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
We had planned to do that, but have decided to skip a rental. We have very good imaginations about what it will be like. Also, we've travelled thousands of miles and weeks on motorcycles, so anything will seem like utter luxury after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Might consider renting one for the type of use you plan. That way you can go in with your eyes wide open on what to expect.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Yes, I meet there almost every Sunday and have an email list to announce it. I was scheming with the crew yesterday about the Interstate, and may have hooked another one.

BTW you are welcome to ride with the BMW Club even if you don't have a BMW. I am the "RideMeister" and do the ride planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
Welcome. I'll be glad to meet up and share what I've learned. I'm inside the loop. Active motorcyclist. If you meet with the BMW club on the Sunday Goode Company Taqueria breakfast crew then we are close by. ....
Old 01-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
There goes the neighborhood maturity level . . .
That's why I'm here.

Quote:
As others have said, 20% is typical, but you can get a bit more if you catch the right dealer at the right time.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:43 PM   #18
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Markup on Interstates is 30%. Subtract delivery charge from MSRP, divide the balance by 1.3 then add the delivery back in. That will get you very close to dealer cost. Negotiate up from there. I gave my dealer $4,000 over cost which was a bit under 4%. Hopefully you can do as good or better.
Good luck,
Bill
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I would suggest reading what other people like about their particular floorplan and use that to see if it works for how you would like to use it.

I changed what I thought I wanted initially and (so far) quite happy with what I bought. I definately paid a premium for that layout, super low miles and superb condition.
I really like having use of the rear doors for another entry/exit and being able to open for an unabstructed view.

I ride motorcycles a lot- mostly dirt these days, and mostly my trials bike (OSSA Explorer)

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote