Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2019, 05:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , WISCONSIN
Fusion Version 3.80

I checked the Garmin website and found an upgrade. It seems to have fixed the issue of not being able to have your co-pilot use the interface whilst underway.

Not certain that the other updates are material, and I believe it is working since we haven't been denied access to the menu to add a location, etc.

It loaded without incident using the Garmin Express update tool and a thumb drive.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
That is great news!! Thanks!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:32 AM   #3

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Done!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8584.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	341102   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8582.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	341103  

WBCCI #26769
Old 05-21-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

barrie , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Done!
Great info. We will try the download soon too. The “ no use while driving” safety feature forced us to drive with an old GPS plugged in so that the passenger could access info while the vehicle was not in park. Fingers crossed that this works for us too.
catjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheakev View Post
I checked the Garmin website and found an upgrade. It seems to have fixed the issue of not being able to have your co-pilot use the interface whilst underway.

Not certain that the other updates are material, and I believe it is working since we haven't been denied access to the menu to add a location, etc.

It loaded without incident using the Garmin Express update tool and a thumb drive.

Thanks for the tip. I completed upgrade without issues but still not able to adjust nav settings while driving. Too bad.
orlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheakev View Post

How about a step-by-step explanation for us tech challenged guys.
Fly.On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #7

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlik View Post
Thanks for the tip. I completed upgrade without issues but still not able to adjust nav settings while driving. Too bad.
Same here. Checked today since I took my AI to work... tested and the message of not being able to change while in motion came up....
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-24-2019, 12:30 PM   #8

Orlando , Florida
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8727.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	341510  
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Same here. Checked today since I took my AI to work... tested and the message of not being able to change while in motion came up....
Maybe next version
orlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
It won't let one put in a "new" address, but if you have it in there it will let you select a saved or recent destination. Everything else seems to work while moving.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Updated

I started two days ago to update my Fusion, using the USB input. I had never used the USB before in the 2018. The USB memory was not recognized, no response at all. I tried several other known good USBs, also with zero response from the Fusion.

I pulled the Fusion and traced the USB wire from the socket in the dash-top compartment. Six feet of wire to go 6"! All appeared to be properly hooked up. I unplugged the 6' Airstream cable from the short wire from the Fusion and plugged the USB in there. Still no response. I unplugged the short wire from the gray connector on the Fusion and metered the signal pair (white/green). That cable appears to be good as well. I have to reluctantly conclude that the Fusion is failing internally.

After 35 years of designing and debugging electronics for IBM, the tangled wad of wiring behind the Fusion dismays me.

I plugged a mini-SD into the front and prepared to download with it. I downloaded both the latest Fusion system and the latest Garmin maps. I applied both updates to the Fusion without problems.

I now have the latest Fusion release and 2018 maps. My maps now even show a new toll road close to my home that just opened to traffic yesterday.

I have decided to simply ignore the USB problem and use the mini-SD from here on. I have a small Atom processor installed in the AI where I can easily write on the mini-SD when I want to update or transfer music to the Fusion.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #12

Orlando , Florida
Same here... did not even bother with the USB after the first attempt using it failed... I have been doing the updates via the mini-SD card.
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
5 New Updates after 3.80 the most important/relevant to us is the
US & Canada Maps version 2019.20
Map Care Expiration Date 5/26/2022

FYI - regarding the "nanny controls" - any choices/options that can be accessed via the touch screen that DOES NOT require one having to type-in an input is accessible. If it requires typing in an input (i.e address or name) it will generate the "Function not available while vehicle is in motion". There were changes to the last update of the VIM file that made/allowed this partial "compromise".

FYI2 - if there are many choices/options necessitating multiple pages to scroll through, the up/down arrows would be disabled (grayed-out). A workaround is to momentarily put van in Park (on next stoplight, obviously not while in motion), then access the scroll arrows. Then place back on Drive and the scroll down arrows remain enabled.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fusion Update 01.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	343212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fusion Update 02.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	343213  

Name:	Fusion Update 03.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	343214  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #14

Orlando , Florida
Great! Will update the maps this weekend!
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-15-2019, 10:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Updated just minutes ago :

1. By the time I downloaded the files from Garmin, there were total of 6 updates. 5 files were modules unfamiliar to me (1 said only affected Netherlands) and they seem to not involve the modules listed when I display the device info (see pic below).

2. But the most important and largest one, RV maps are now all 2019.20

3. Also, I encountered an issue after the intial update to 3.80 few weeks ago. After updating to 3.80 my clocks (both the big clock on main screen & small upper right corner clock would never sync with GPS or CANBUS. When the Fusion was power reset or volume was accessed via the steering controls, the big main Fusion clock would sync with the MB dash CANBUS clock. The small upper right corner clock remained stuck on it's setting from the 3.80 update. Then the big main clock would get stuck again until I again press the volume control or turn off/on the unit. Since I really dont use the Fusion clock, I decided to just let it be. Not worth calling Garmin support (I thought). But, lo & behold, that problem was fixed by today's 6 update files. Not sure which file affected which module to enable the syncing of all 3 clocks. It works and that's all I care about. Tested 1 hour's worth of activity, engine start/stop, Fusion on/off, and the entire time, all 3 clocks are syncing. The last time my 3 clocks were sync'ed was May 24 before my initial 3.80 update. It is nice that all work now, even if I dont use the Fusion clock.

4. The updates took 11 minutes start to reboot. It did failed twice, once at the very start and once right before the reboot. It asked for my usb stick to be re-inserted again, which I did. And that was all there was to it. All my updates were via usb stick. Never updated via sd card, so no idea if it would've run smoother.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190615_211638.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	723.7 KB
ID:	343475   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190615_211849.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	343476  

Old 06-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #16

Orlando , Florida
Done!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9017.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	343610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9018.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	343611  

WBCCI #26769
Old 06-18-2019, 10:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
As of yesterday, there were 5 more updates that showed up. I dont even have any idea what they are for. Not for Maps, not for System. But since I was replacing 3 overhead doors in the AI, figured I will load them up.

Not sure if this was from today's update or prior. But WHOA! I can now type-in an input via keyboard even while driving. NO, I was not taking pic while driving. Wife was behind me taking pic, daughter was front passenger typing address. No namny controls but I am hooked up to MB CANBUS. I am now leaving my unit AS-IS and will no longer update until this unit stops working. Its as good as it will get for me & my Fusion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190618_214020.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	343756  
Old 06-19-2019, 06:21 AM   #18

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
As of yesterday, there were 5 more updates that showed up. I dont even have any idea what they are for. Not for Maps, not for System. But since I was replacing 3 overhead doors in the AI, figured I will load them up.

Not sure if this was from today's update or prior. But WHOA! I can now type-in an input via keyboard even while driving. NO, I was not taking pic while driving. Wife was behind me taking pic, daughter was front passenger typing address. No nanny controls but I am hooked up to MB CANBUS. I am now leaving my unit AS-IS and will no longer update until this unit stops working. Its as good as it will get for me & my Fusion.

This is great! Finally!! So recent update. Will download when I get home and do the update. We are heading to Turtle Beach Campground in Siesta Key this weekend and will put it to the test with the co-pilot.
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
This is great! Finally!! So recent update. Will download when I get home and do the update. We are heading to Turtle Beach Campground in Siesta Key this weekend and will put it to the test with the co-pilot.
WACHUKO - I hope that it was not just a fluke that my Fusion got "un-nanny'ed" . Coz I have no idea which updates released it for it to function whilest in motion. I guarantee you I still connected and configured into CANBUS. I have tested all functions, AutoConnect, Maps, BT phone, clock sync, GPS, rear cam when put in Reverse, etc. and all seem to function as expected.

Good luck, waiting for your report. If it works like mine, good news for everyone else. FYI - had to do the reset (hold power button for 15 secs or kill switch the unit) for all the updates to take place, especially to release the nanny controls.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:22 PM   #20

Orlando , Florida
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
WACHUKO - I hope that it was not just a fluke that my Fusion got "un-nanny'ed" . Coz I have no idea which updates released it for it to function whilest in motion. I guarantee you I still connected and configured into CANBUS. I have tested all functions, AutoConnect, Maps, BT phone, clock sync, GPS, rear cam when put in Reverse, etc. and all seem to function as expected.

Good luck, waiting for your report. If it works like mine, good news for everyone else. FYI - had to do the reset (hold power button for 15 secs or kill switch the unit) for all the updates to take place, especially to release the nanny controls.
Not working for me... I still have all nannies enabled... here are the versions that I have... nothing more needed update when I tried to look for updates just now...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9075.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	520.8 KB
ID:	343946  
WBCCI #26769