Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Fusion Musings

We finally had time to work with the Fusion Infotainment system and the Blu Ray player in our 2017 AI (factory ordered, delivered April). Some observations, and please tell me if I'm missing something:

1) The TV system and the Fusion audio system seem completely separate. The TV and DVD audio comes out the small TV speakers. I can't play Blu Ray DVD sound through the larger rear speakers of the Fusion system.

2) The Fusion can play audio CDs, and (curiously) DVDs. But can't play MP3-CDs.

3) The Blu Ray player CAN play MP3-CDs, but the sound comes out the small TV speakers and not through dash or rear Fusion speakers.

I'm not whining: Since we are not big media consumers, we can live with these limitations. But I just want to see if I'm missing some tricks.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
The BlueRay player's output is fed into the HDMI switch box (and then into the TV), so there's no connection to the Fusion system.

If you wanted to play the BlueRay video on the TV and have the audio play via the Fusion, you would need to split the HDMI signal coming out of the BlueRay player and attach the second HDMI cable to the Fusion's HDMI input (under the little cover on the left front of the Fusion). I'd have to take a closer look at the specs for the switch box, but it might be able to do that. If so, all you'd need is a 2-3m HDMI cable to run from the switch box to the Fusion. Just remember to select the HDMI input as the source for the Fusion and turn the sound down on the TV or you'll get the same audio playing on both (which would sound kinda funky).
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Thanks. I'm not looking to do a media upgrade, because we don't really use it much. I just wanted to make sure my understanding of the limitations was correct.

I should add one more issue: the Fusion FM radio does not seem to be able to split out multi-cast FM signals. Our local public station has mostly talk-radio (yuck) on its main channel, and the classical music feed is a sub-channel. I can listen to music in my car, but not in my AI. Oh, well.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
Thanks. I'm not looking to do a media upgrade, because we don't really use it much. I just wanted to make sure my understanding of the limitations was correct.

I should add one more issue: the Fusion FM radio does not seem to be able to split out multi-cast FM signals. Our local public station has mostly talk-radio (yuck) on its main channel, and the classical music feed is a sub-channel. I can listen to music in my car, but not in my AI. Oh, well.
Technically your #1 in your first post is incorrect. If you run a HDMI cable from the HDMI switch box to the front of the Fusion you can get the DVD audio to play on the Fusion system. Not elegant, but possible.

Re. MP3 CD's, the Fusion specs do show it's compatible with MP3, WMA, and AAC, so it may be a CD format problem. I ran into that years ago when I first tried using MP3 CD's. The exact same CD would work fine in one "MP3 Compatible" player and refuse to play in another. To avoid this frustration, if I want to play downloaded music through the Fusion, I do so via my mobile device and its Bluetooth connection. You can also direct-connect a music player (iPod, phone, etc) to the Fusion through its USB port which is hiding in the compartment above it on the dash.

I'll try tuning my Fusion to a station locally that has D1/D2 channels (I assume that's what you mean....HD radio with D1/D2 selection?) and see if I have better luck.

FWIW, you can see the Fusion specs and download the user manual here: https://fusionentertainment.com/life...units/rv-in801. I have the manual on my phone and tablet (same with the Interstate owner's manual) so I have access to it any time I need it.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
...Re. MP3 CD's, the Fusion specs do show it's compatible with MP3, WMA, and AAC, so it may be a CD format problem. ...

I'll try tuning my Fusion to a station locally that has D1/D2 channels (I assume that's what you mean....HD radio with D1/D2 selection?) and see if I have better luck. ...
I tried reading a USB stick with mp3 files on it, and Fusion browsed and played it OK. So it does play "mp3", but maybe not from a CD. But I will check with another CD of mp3 files when I get a chance to see if it was a format issue.

Yes I mean HD radio with sub-channels. KHUF 88.7 FM here has 4 or more of them. I couldn't find a way to select sub-channels on the radio.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Just checked my radio. As near as I can tell it doesn't have a HD tuner (or if it does it's not enabled in the current SW version) so it can't get the digital channels. Seems strange that it would be missing this given all the other digital content that it supports......
Old 05-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple City , California
The easiest way to get sound from the bluray into the Fusion is using the headphone output jack on the side of the 2nd row and get a 6ft male to male audio cable and plug it into the aux audio input on top of the dash. Select AUX on the Fusion and enjoy!
dapolrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #8
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapolrbear View Post
The easiest way to get sound from the bluray into the Fusion is using the headphone output jack on the side of the 2nd row and get a 6ft male to male audio cable and plug it into the aux audio input on top of the dash. Select AUX on the Fusion and enjoy!

That's so simple - can't believe I didn't think of that! I had a guy at a car audio store say he was pretty sure could patch the blu-ray or the hdmi switcher in to the Fusion but I never let him do it because it seemed like he was just planning to take everything apart and figure it out - and couldn't tell me what it would cost. Planned to get replacement speakers for front too (can't believe Airstream leaves those horrible, lousy factory speakers in there) but never pulled the trigger on they either.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Just checked my radio. As near as I can tell it doesn't have a HD tuner (or if it does it's not enabled in the current SW version) so it can't get the digital channels. Seems strange that it would be missing this given all the other digital content that it supports......
I believe that HD Radio requires a licensed component in the receiver, so there's a cost to receiving HD Radio which is why it tends to be a higher-end item in most vehicles. For example, in a Ford pickup only the top-tier radio receives HD Radio. That said, I quite like the audio from HD Radio stations, and often on their sideband channels they're not playing a commercial at the same time their main channel is, so it makes it easier to avoid their ear pollution.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Another Fusion "musing".....

I just picked up a pair of new sunglasses that are "horizontally polarized". Not sure if that's just marketing BS, but they are by far the best polarized sunglasses I've owned. Overall, they are terrific for driving, but I just found a big downside: they basically turn the Fusion screen black when I look at it. Can't see a thing. If I want to see what's on the Fusion screen (upcoming turn, ETA at destination, etc), I have to take them off. Bummer.

Anyway, thought I'd toss that out there and let folks know about it.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:32 PM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Another Fusion "musing".....

I just picked up a pair of new sunglasses that are "horizontally polarized". Not sure if that's just marketing BS, but they are by far the best polarized sunglasses I've owned. Overall, they are terrific for driving, but I just found a big downside: they basically turn the Fusion screen black when I look at it. Can't see a thing. If I want to see what's on the Fusion screen (upcoming turn, ETA at destination, etc), I have to take them off. Bummer.

Anyway, thought I'd toss that out there and let folks know about it.
Tilt your head to one side or the other when you look at the screen. It may be enough to read it without removing the sunglasses.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Tilt your head to one side or the other when you look at the screen. It may be enough to read it without removing the sunglasses.
I just tried that. If I tilt my head 90*, I can see the screen just fine, but that's not really a practical way to drive, LOL.

It looks like Fusion used a vertical polarizer on their screen, and since my glasses have a horizontal polarizer, it acts like a shutter and lets nothing through. I used to work on video systems that used liquid crystal polarizers to create 3D (like what you have when you go into a theater to watch a 3D movie) and we used vertical and horizontal polarizers in our display for this purpose.

At this point, my solution is to not wear polarized sunglasses while driving the AS. Either that or go find a pair with a vertical polarizer.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapolrbear View Post
Maybe I'm blind, but I was just out messing around with my rig and I couldn't find this aux audio input on the dash that you speak of. The only input hiding under the "hatch" on the top of the dash is a USB input for the Fusion....
Old 05-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
At this point, my solution is to not wear polarized sunglasses while driving the AS. Either that or go find a pair with a vertical polarizer.
I've had the same problem with motorcycle GPS and polarized sunglasses. I was told (at CostCo) that they don't make non-polarized prescription sunglasses
Old 05-25-2017, 03:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
I've had the same problem with motorcycle GPS and polarized sunglasses. I was told (at CostCo) that they don't make non-polarized prescription sunglasses
Interesting. My optometrist will make whatever I want. My wife just got some prescription photochromic glasses from them, no problem. Maybe try someone other than Costco?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Interesting. My optometrist will make whatever I want. My wife just got some prescription photochromic glasses from them, no problem. Maybe try someone other than Costco?
Actually, the clear face-shield on my helmet scrambles the polarization, defeating the sun-glasses and making the GPS screen magically re-appear (along with glare off the highway).
Old 06-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Public service announcement for Fusion owners: A new firmware version was just released 3 days ago that hopefully addresses things like the Auto+ app connectivity issues. You can get it here: https://fusionentertainment.com/life...upport/updates
Old 06-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Public service announcement for Fusion owners: A new firmware version was just released 3 days ago that hopefully addresses things like the Auto+ app connectivity issues. You can get it here: https://fusionentertainment.com/life...upport/updates
Sorry all, but don't download this file yet. It appears the engineers at Fusion were having a "bad day" when they posted this because the file structure is completely FUBAR (i.e. won't work). I've let them know they posted total shite, so we'll see how long it takes them to fix it.....
Old 06-06-2017, 03:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Well, it looks like the little gnomes at Fusion/Garmin have been busy and they uploaded a new zip file along with new instructions on how to install the 3.10 update.

I'll warn you now that it's clunky as hell because you can't prepare a single SD card or USB stick to get the update done. You either need 2 storage devices or ready access to a computer/internet at your coach to get it done in one go. If you park your coach at home, this will be a lot easier to manage, but if you're like me and you're parked remotely with no laptop, then you will need 2 USB sticks (or SD cards).

Read through the install notes on their web site and you'll see what I mean (take special note where they say to delete the contents of the Update directory after part 1 is complete.....ugh):

https://fusionentertainment.com/life...upport/updates

They're lucky I don't manage their software team. This is like a high school project being run out of someone's garage.....
Old 06-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #20
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Wow those institutions are absurdly complicated.

Related question- I realize there are Garmin files on these updates but do they actually update the maps or just the software?
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote