Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Huntington Beach , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
Tried again today with different USB drive. Still stuck on the unlock maps. I am sure I have a SD card around somewhere that I could try.

Tried the steps above but same result for me.
I should have mentioned that I used a 16GB micro SD card. I am not sure if that makes a difference.
Boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:36 PM   #82
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Someone from Fusion called today and suggested I try using a PC to download the maps instead of a Mac. I haven't had an opportunity to try that yet. Those that have had the unable to unlock maps error, were you using a Mac to download the maps to your USB drive?
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:44 AM   #83
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
Someone from Fusion called today and suggested I try using a PC to download the maps instead of a Mac. I haven't had an opportunity to try that yet. Those that have had the unable to unlock maps error, were you using a Mac to download the maps to your USB drive?
I am using a PC.
Boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:53 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom23 View Post
I am using a PC.

I used a PC (specifically a Surface Tablet which has a uSD slot built in) with a 16GB uSD card that I let the Fusion "prepare" (previously that card saw duty in one of my digital cameras) and while I did get an error after the maps loaded, they are there and are working.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:30 AM   #85
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Well if Tobbun is using a Mac like I am maybe we are on to something...
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:36 AM   #86
Prof. of Pending Projects

Orlando , Florida
I also used a PC... and I did get the "Cannot unlock maps" message once... but everything updated fine after another retry...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:44 AM   #87
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
No Macs here... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
Well if Tobbun is using a Mac like I am maybe we are on to something...
I actually work for Microsoft. I am a PC. Although grudgingly I have switched the family over to IOS from Windows Phones... we all have Surface devices for our home/work/school machines.

I did just try a MicroSD... it was blank. The Fusion saw it... said Blank SD but when I went to hit the create USB or SD it didn't see it... said to install a SD or USB.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #88

Orlando , Florida
Exclamation

Quote:
I actually work for Microsoft. I am a PC. Although grudgingly I have switched the family over to IOS from Windows Phones... we all have Surface devices for our home/work/school machines.

I did just try a MicroSD... it was blank. The Fusion saw it... said Blank SD but when I went to hit the create USB or SD it didn't see it... said to install a SD or USB.
Yes! That happened to me when I formatted the MicroSD in the PC... I forgot to mention it as I ruled it out as something I had done wrong... I was in "need to finish this quick since I am heading out with my wife to a lunch with friends-mode" and since I was using the MicroSD from the dash camera, I just formatted it there and the Fusion recognized it... what I did not try was to format it in the PC, place a file and test... not sure if it needs to see something in the card to create it... I could test today after work... but just wanted to share running into that same issue...
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-31-2018, 02:22 PM   #89
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Here's a wacky thought. For those folks having issues with their maps and are using Macs, try formatting your uSD card in a digital camera (assuming you have one of course), THEN putting it into the Fusion to "prepare", then into the Mac/PC/whatever to download the maps, then back into the Fusion.

I suggest this because the more I hear, the more it sounds like a card format problem. Most digital cameras use an older storage formatting structure like FAT16 or FAT32, and it seems like all of us who have had success have used uSD cards that were originally formatted for camera use. It might be worth a try.....
Old 05-31-2018, 03:23 PM   #90
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Here's a wacky thought. For those folks having issues with their maps and are using Macs, try formatting your uSD card in a digital camera (assuming you have one of course), THEN putting it into the Fusion to "prepare", then into the Mac/PC/whatever to download the maps, then back into the Fusion.

I suggest this because the more I hear, the more it sounds like a card format problem. Most digital cameras use an older storage formatting structure like FAT16 or FAT32, and it seems like all of us who have had success have used uSD cards that were originally formatted for camera use. It might be worth a try.....
I tried just copying everything over from the USB to the SD thinking I could outsmart it. So a formatted SD card... copied all the stuff from the Garmin Express that was download to a USB that was created in the AI... but nope.

My SD card issue could be that it is a 128gb SD card formatted in exFAT. Need to find an older smaller one which I am sure I have somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if the Fusion doesn't support that size SD. When I don't need one I see those SD cards like a deck of playing cards... When I need one they turn into Waldo.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:54 PM   #91
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Naperville , Illinois
I initially tried having Fusion format a 64GB microSD "xc"1 card, but the Fusion did not recognize it. Then Garmin sent me 2018.20 maps on a 4GB microSD"hc"1 card, but the Fusion did not recognize it and I later learned from Fusion that the card did not have a .exe file.

However, since Garmin was using "hc" cards, I purchased a 16GB "hc"1 card (could not find a 4GB). The Fusion formatted the card and I was able to install 2018.20 maps using Garmin Express.

I don't know what the spec differences are between "xc" vs "hc" cards and whether this was the key factor or if it was because of the smaller GB card.
Windchaser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:44 PM   #92
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchaser01 View Post
I initially tried having Fusion format a 64GB microSD "xc"1 card, but the Fusion did not recognize it. Then Garmin sent me 2018.20 maps on a 4GB microSD"hc"1 card, but the Fusion did not recognize it and I later learned from Fusion that the card did not have a .exe file.

However, since Garmin was using "hc" cards, I purchased a 16GB "hc"1 card (could not find a 4GB). The Fusion formatted the card and I was able to install 2018.20 maps using Garmin Express.

I don't know what the spec differences are between "xc" vs "hc" cards and whether this was the key factor or if it was because of the smaller GB card.

Odd. XC cards are over 10x faster than HC, so I would expect the XC to work just fine......
Old 06-01-2018, 08:02 AM   #93
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I thought the instructions said to make sure your card or usb is new and does not have anything elsd on it. I have not done the upgrade yet, but i thought that's what it advised
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #94
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Will try an HC SD card today

All of my SD cards are XC so just ordered a 16gb HC SD card from Amazon (same day delivery is awesome) so will try that later today.

@Mansderm161 - Yes.. you want to start with a clean (formatted) SD or USB card. Put that into the Fusion device and select the "Create Card" option. This puts your AI info onto the card. Then when you go back to your PC and have that card installed and run the Garmin Express software it knows what updates/maps you need. It then downloads those to the USB or SD and then you take that back to the Fusion and it should auto update.

I have several USB sticks with all the stuff. Couldn't get the "create card" to work on my SD cards so thought I would try to trick it and copy the stuff from a USB that Garmin Express downloaded too... but Fusion doesn't seem to like XC SD Cards.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:38 AM   #95

Orlando , Florida
I used a SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Card

It was right there on the dash cam... so I just used what I had.
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #96
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I used a SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Card

It was right there on the dash cam... so I just used what I had.

That makes sense. I think the HC vs XC thing is a bit of a red herring, and the real issue lies in how it's formatted. Hopefully Garmin/Fusion is testing that now and will make some adjustments to make their upgrade more robust going forward.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #97
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
That makes sense. I think the HC vs XC thing is a bit of a red herring, and the real issue lies in how it's formatted. Hopefully Garmin/Fusion is testing that now and will make some adjustments to make their upgrade more robust going forward.
I did try formatting one of my XC SD cards in my camera. It formatted fine but Fusion still didn't see it when hitting the "Create Card" Although it was showing up in top left when inserted.Attachment 312601

I can't win on these pics... in my folder they are vertical and appear as you would expect. Except when I attached it, it was rotated to the left (second pic). So I tried editing it first, rotating to the right and it kept it rotated to the right (first pic).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180531_155552879_iOS (2).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	312602   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180531_155552879_iOS.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	312603  

Old 06-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #98
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
I did try formatting one of my XC SD cards in my camera. It formatted fine but Fusion still didn't see it when hitting the "Create Card" Although it was showing up in top left when inserted.

Sorry you’re having so many issues with the update. The card I used was an old one I had laying around that literally had dust on it. It’s probably been in 3-4 different devices before I used it to update the Fusion. I’d have to check to see how it’s formatted because at this point I have no clue which device did the most recent low level format.....[emoji4]

Best luck getting it resolved. [emoji106]
Old 06-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
From trying to upgrade my Kenwood maps, I realized that Garmin is using the content protection feature of SD cards (or so it seems). No one else does but every SD card comes with hardware content protection ("DRM") feature to be optionally used. That scheme has been upgraded through ever revision of the SD card format so it is definitely possible that the software in Fusion is not compatible with the latest XC cards. So my vote would be to try the older cards.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:43 PM   #100
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Ok.. the HC SD card did behave different. Formatted it from camera. Put into Fusion and said “Preparing SD Card”. It didn’t do that with XC card. Said “Blank SD”. It also let me create the SD card and took it back to PC. Did the Garmin express stuff took it back to the Fusion and got same result “Can’t unlock Maps”. Guess I will call Fusion but wanted to give an update.