Old 11-22-2017, 09:58 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
East Hampton , Connecticut
I really like the way the camera switches to the side when using the turning indicator! It is the backup mode that I am having a hard time with. I true
You cannot judge the distance with this camera!

Jererae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:00 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

That is what I have found! Although I have the 2017 from what I understand they changed it mid- production year

Old 11-24-2017, 06:41 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wilsonville , OR
Rearview camera guide lines

Have you reviewed the Airstream authored how-to video on backup camera adjustments? In the video, he shows the grid lines turned on during adjustment and I believe they can be toggled to stay on.

https://youtu.be/FrupR_6aNuk
Fredjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredjacob View Post
Have you reviewed the Airstream authored how-to video on backup camera adjustments? In the video, he shows the grid lines turned on during adjustment and I believe they can be toggled to stay on.

https://youtu.be/FrupR_6aNuk
Good find!!!

If you go to the 2:15 mark in the video, you'll see there is a menu item called Distance Grid with options of AV1, AV2, AV3, and OFF. That leads me to believe you can enable the grid for each of the 3 cameras or turn it off. I'll have to play with that the next time I'm at my coach!
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jererae View Post
That is what I have found! Although I have the 2017 from what I understand they changed it mid- production year
Same with mine manufactured in April 2017: no backup guide lines.
BMW R1200GS
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:11 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Good find!!!

If you go to the 2:15 mark in the video, you'll see there is a menu item called Distance Grid with options of AV1, AV2, AV3, and OFF. That leads me to believe you can enable the grid for each of the 3 cameras or turn it off. I'll have to play with that the next time I'm at my coach!
That option is missing on my April 2017 GT
BMW R1200GS
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:02 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Yes, I have been told by Airstream that some units were installed with a different unit that does not have guidelines and that is “ just the way it is and cannot be changed”. Interesting that the window sticker lists the more robust unit that most vehicles have. I’m planning to pursue further with Airstream.....
Old 11-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
That option is missing on my April 2017 GT
Note that there are actually TWO pages to the menu system on the backup camera. I wasn't aware of that until I watched that video. Prior to that I thought there was only the first page. The grid lines stuff is on the second page so if you don't keep scrolling, you won't see it.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jererae View Post
Yes, I have been told by Airstream that some units were installed with a different unit that does not have guidelines and that is “ just the way it is and cannot be changed”.
I find that odd...in the extreme. Why would AS change to an inferior unit and cause themselves the headache of two different internal part numbers, numerous support issues, etc? Makes no sense. Can you check yours and confirm that you don't have the grid lines options on PAGE TWO of the backup camera menu system?
Old 11-25-2017, 03:16 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Northern , California
How to turn on grid lines

I realize this thread has drifted a LOT, but just for the sake of completeness, here's some info re. the backup camera system.

First, the one that is on my '17 Lounge is made by RVS Systems and is model # RVS-619N-Dodge. Looking at the RVS web site (http://www.rvssystems.com/our-produc...a-systems.html), I can't find that model anywhere, not even in the product support area. Maybe it's a custom system?

Next, mine does indeed offer grid lines, it just needs to be enabled. By default it appears to be set to Off. Note that you can only select ONE of the cameras to have the grid lines, not all three. The backup camera is AV3, so that's what I selected (apologies for the glare, but you get the idea):

Which gave me this:

I adjusted it "up" a bit to get a little better idea of depth.

FWIW, my coach is a '17 EXT Lounge purchased in '16.

If someone with a later build '17 or an '18 would like to go through the documents that came with their rigs and check the make/model of the backup system used in those, we can figure out if indeed AS made a change, and approximately when. With the make/model info, we can also determine if the grid lines are truly not available in the current MY Interstate or if it's just buried in a menu somewhere.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
College Station , Texas
We have a 2018 model. Our backup camera is an EchoMaster Pro model number RV-MM7. EchoMaster.com

It does not have available grid lines. After watching the Airstream video on the 2017 backup camera I noted several different options on the 2017 model.

I called Airstream and was told that a different vendor was selected for 2018.
In response to the lack of grid lines he said that the camera was adjustable and that grid lines would not be accurate with each adjustment and were thus eliminated.

My system also cannot be set to be constant on the right or left side camera, it always defaults to the rear camera.
1st time RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time RV View Post
We have a 2018 model. Our backup camera is an EchoMaster Pro model number RV-MM7. EchoMaster.com
Thanks for that. Good to know.

Very odd that AS would change vendors after such a short run with RVS as it creates a logistics headache for them and a lot of confusion for owners. RVS seems to be a pretty big outfit so maybe something happened on the business side.....
Old 11-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
The lawyers were probably concerned about the accuracy of the gridlines. Somehow they decided it is better to have no idea of how close the object is than to have to learn or re-learn the meaning of each gridline. On mine I know that the closest I can see the ground is three feet back from the bumper.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:23 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Naperville , Illinois
I was told by Fusion last week that they are no longer showing the RV-801 on their website because it is an exclusive OEM to Airstream and not for sale to the public.

However, I located the link to the unit under their “legacy” folder
https://www.fusionentertainment.com/...upport/updates

My unit has software v3.1 ., but I was hoping to update the Garmin maps from v2016.2 to something newer than two years old. My personal Garmin was just updated to v2018.x And on Garmin website you can purchase their current maps for most of their units, including their RV units with that same software.

Fusion says that 2016.2 is the most current maps.

Are there any plans to provide Fusion with upgraded maps for distribution?
Windchaser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Naperville , Illinois
Last week I contacted Fusion and was told the RV-IN801 was not displayed on their website because it is an exclusive OEM to Airstream and not sold to the public

I found the link to the RV-IN801 in their “legacy” folder: https://www.fusionentertainment.com/legacy/products/stereo-units/rv-in801/support/updates

My Fusion has software v3.1. I was interested in updating my Garmin maps to something more recent than v2016.2. My personal Garmin was recently updated with v2018.x. On the Garmin website you can purchase the most recent maps that supports most of their units, including the RV units, with that download

Fusion says that v2016.2 is their most current map software, which is a concern knowing there are more current maps available.
Windchaser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
That not good news as any product with a small exclusive market is not going to get the support of a product sold to larger market.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
That not good news as any product with a small exclusive market is not going to get the support of a product sold to larger market.

Exactly. And the lack of current map data is just one example of how that impacts owners.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
Ok, here is what I know. I have a 2018 AI Grand Tour. At delivery, my rear camera was set straight down instead of being up to see directly behind me. That showed who ever test drove it did not do a good job. When adjusted upward I used both the remote control and the rear monitor to make adjustments. NO grid lines. How ever said on this post it was lawyers who changed the venders is probably right.

You can't have accurate grid lines unless the camera is about three feet of the ground. Just look at any car’s rear back up camera. Any higher and it can cause a potential accident. So what we have in 2018 models is simply a rear view camera mimicking a standard rear view mirror. We still have parktronics and our side mirrors. Most importantly we have in most cases our driving partners whom are the only ones I trust any way.

I hope I made sense here.

Quote:

It does not have available grid lines. After watching the Airstream video on the 2017 backup camera I noted several different options on the 2017 model.

I called Airstream and was told that a different vendor was selected for 2018.
In response to the lack of grid lines he said that the camera was adjustable and that grid lines would not be accurate with each adjustment and were thus eliminated.

My system also cannot be set to be constant on the right or left side camera, it always defaults to the rear camera.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
College Station , Texas
Upgrade inoperable. We down loaded the 3.1 upgrade from Fusion. Plugged into unit and nothing happened. No screen with installation instructions. Tried the download three times. Each attempt at installation was a nonstarter.
1st time RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
Help with your fusion software update

I will try to help you with this. When you download from the website goes in your computer as a zip file. You have to take the information off the zip file and put it into a thumb drive. The way I approached it was I opened up the instructions and printed it, there are very specific instructions on how to set up your thumb drive, with specific files folders. When you have your thumb drive right, you can only plug it in with the USB that is located with the name fusion on it in the cabinet on your middle dash. The written instructions will show you to put one file in, take the thumb drive out put it back in your computer erase that file, then put the other files in and do the process again. My assumption is you’re trying to use the zip file and it would not work because of you’re referenced you could not get the instructions. Let me know if this helps you.

Quote:
Upgrade inoperable. We down loaded the 3.1 upgrade from Fusion. Plugged into unit and nothing happened. No screen with installation instructions. Tried the download three times. Each attempt at installation was a nonstarter.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote