Old 03-28-2015, 07:46 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
Furnace blowing cold air

Any reason why the furnace would be blowing cold air today? I am on day 8 of my driveway camping and it just started snowing! I have a little space heater as a backup but the furnace would be better... I have a full tank of propane, batteries 100% and connected to shore power 
Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1427546642.943334.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  90.5 KB

Old 03-28-2015, 08:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Propane turned on? Jim

Old 03-28-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Probably more info would be needed on what model heater you have - presume it is an auto ignition model.

These heaters have many safety devices built into them. For example, when it first starts up, the blower will come on only for a while to purge the system, it will then attempt to light up.

Depending on the model it may try up to three times and then lock out if it doesn't light.

There is also a "sail switch" to ensure proper air flow, and an over temperature switch I believe.

If the burner doesn't light at all, it could be a bad ignition circuit board, maybe low gas pressure, or maybe spider webs or other obstructions in the burner tube.

With older appliances, (furnace/water heater/fridge) I have often found that one of the most common problems - and easiest to fix - is just corrosion in one of the various wire connectors and/or circuit board plugs.

If I have problems with any appliance, then after checking any fuses or breakers, this is one of the first things I check. One by one, I pull the connectors/plugs and if suspect, clean it up before re-connecting, many times that does the trick.

Coincidentally, we are camping at the moment at James Island County Park in Charleston and will be heading back North towards Toronto on Monday. On the way home we plan to stop one night at a Flying J, so we will need the furnace.

Just an hour or so ago, I decided as a precaution to start up the furnace to check it for our return trip.

I don't think we have ever had problems with this furnace before on this trailer, but wouldn't you know it, this time, the blower came on, ran a minute or so and then shut down - no heat!

I switched off, waited a few minutes, then tried to start it again. This time, I couldn't even get the blower to run!

Checked some trouble shooting notes that I had with me (from the internet) and found that with some models (not sure if mine is one) you need to wait an hour before it will try to relight.

So I waited! While waiting I opened the cover on the furnace, looked in the flue tube, all good as far as I could see, and pulled/replaced a few connectors.

After an hour, I was able to try a start cycle again - this time, all was fine, so hopefully all is well.

If not, I guess we will be stopping at a motel up near Erie Pa rather than a Flying J !

Good luck with yours - it sure helps to be someone who enjoys tinkering with these things!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Jackie your propane must be turned on, thermostat mode set to furnace, temp set above current temp and fan on thermostat must be set to auto.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You will actually hear the fiery furnace flames flaming from inside the trailer and outside the trailer if everything is OK.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
check and see if you can light a stovetop burner. I had a situation where I had not screwed the propane connection on really tight and it did not trip the shutoff valve built in the tank. I thought everything was fine but no gas would come out.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:49 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Avila Beach , California
Also, if no one has told you yet, ensure your thermostat is not set to "fan" mode, but rather to "auto". If it is on fan, for some reason or other that I can't remember, the unit will blow cold air, basically it is recycling the air...again make sure the thermostat is on "auto" mode...

"don't let life get in the way of living"
LOGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
k9jackie did you ever get your furnace figured out?

Or did you just make this post to taunt us?
Old 03-31-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I hope k9jackie didn't freeze to death in her AI!!!!

k9jackie...are you out there? Anyone?? Bueller...Bueller?????
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
I hope k9jackie didn't freeze to death in her AI!!!!

k9jackie...are you out there? Anyone?? Bueller...Bueller?????
Old 03-31-2015, 08:33 PM   #11
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I live near her and we are getting very big wet floppy sticking kind of snow. Cold for sure but not bitter. Hope the furnace gets going.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Great Falls , Virginia
Yes, my LPG switch says "on" when it is off... I switched it the opposite way and it worked. UGH!

I was camped at my Dad's house in central PA while he was in the hospital for a quadruple bypass. There was no room at the inn so to speak, so I was glad I had my AI but it did not keep warm...It snowed 3 times and it was miserable! Mid-week, I had to get a propane refill. I'm not sure I want to ever spend 10 cold days in a small motor home again.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Glad you're alive and well.

When you flip the LPG switch up, it is on. When you switch it down, it is off. I've never looked to see what it says, but that's how it works.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Glad you're alive and well.

When you flip the LPG switch up, it is on. When you switch it down, it is off. I've never looked to see what it says, but that's how it works.
Unless AS installed the switch upside down.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote