Old 11-17-2014, 09:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The AI furnace exhausts outside so condensation shouldn't be a problem.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The furnace supplied by Airstream takes in outside air for combustion, and exhausts it to the outside. A separate air path forces interior air over the combustion chamber and out through the front grill (in your 16' Sport) They are very safe and you should have no worries with any danger for many years. Once they get 15 + years old it is not uncommon for the sealed combustion chamber to become rusted through. That is when there could be problems, but that is a long ways off in your new trailer. Use the furnace and enjoy the comfort it provides.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamper1 View Post
First night in AI
My questiin is, do you experts use the furnace while you sleep?
Propane scares me
Im thinking of getting s high quality electric space heater and just use that til 10-11 pm then shut off
Including your best pick for a 12 volt mini vacuum
I'm no expert. I've only been using my Airstream Interstate for three years now, making trips in any month of the year, including camping in below-freezing (but not snowy) weather in the winter months.

Propane in your Interstate is no more hazardous than natural gas is in your home. In fact, you'll want to leave the water heater on, preferably on propane rather than electric to reserve more power for your tank heaters, to keep it from freezing overnight.

Your propane furnace can also be left on when you sleep, but because it exhausts on the driver's side near the galley, it's best to make sure all of the driver's side windows are closed, and only open passenger-side windows for ventilation, so you have less risk of letting carbon monoxide inside. Personally, I leave the passenger-side front window cracked open (I have WeatherTech vent visors on both front doors so no worries about precipitation) since that's the window farthest from where I sleep and so there's no cold draft by my bed fighting the heat of the furnace.

I have a small electric space heater that I can use to supplement my furnace, but I don't use it very often because once you turn on the tank heaters, the cumulative power requirement of all of the heaters can get a bit much.

As for 12v vacuums, forget it. 12v vaccums don't suck well. Which kind of sucks. You've got an onboard generator, so what's the problem with a 120vAC vacuum? You can get a small one at Griot's Garage (Mighty 500 Watt Detailing Vacuum - Interior Detailing - Car Care - Griot's Garage) that's only a foot long and 4 inches in diameter, not much larger than a roll of paper towels if you don't count the hose. They have another model that's 16" long and includes a blower on the other end as well for just a small amount more (Mighty 500 Watt Vacuum Blower - Griot's Garage)
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Sorry, I read the second post and thought you had a 16' Sport, not an Interstate. Still, you should not worry about the propane furnace from the safety standpoint, nor any of the propane systems. They work well on literally millions of RV's with very few issues.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Sorry, I read the second post and thought you had a 16' Sport, not an Interstate. Still, you should not worry about the propane furnace from the safety standpoint, nor any of the propane systems. They work well on literally millions of RV's with very few issues.
Don't feel bad. I thought the AI was Airstream International! I should be better about checking the thread path at the top of the page.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If you already have 18V Dewalt tools, then this looks like a strong player.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Like others I use a small 110v ceramic heater when we are at a campground and have paid anyway for electricity - either that or I run our AC in heat pump mode.

But I do use the furnace overnight if we stop in cold weather a Flying J, although I keep the temperature setting quite low to ensure I don't run the batteries flat overnight.

I have never really been concerned about the fact that it is a propane unit. I suppose it could develop a problem just as the furnace in our house could, but I am only using it for what it is intended, and as most do, our trailer does have a propane alarm and a CO2 alarm.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote