Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2016, 03:01 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Front vs back GFCI outlets

Can you guys with Tripp-Lite era Interstates (up to 2012?)tell me if your rear electrical outlets behave differently than the front one? In my situation the engine was off and the Tripp Lite inverter was on. When I plugged a small fan into the outlet next to the driver's side passenger seat, it worked. When I plugged it into the outlet over the rear galley or beside the rear lounge it did not work. However, both those outlets worked when I started the generator. I checked the GFCI breaker under the lounge and it was not tripped. This makes no sense to me but very little does when it comes to the AI's electrical system. Why wouldn't the back outlets work when inverter is on?
Thanks
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:01 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
There is nothing wrong with the outlets, it is designed that way. The one in front is for light loads such as electronic chargers and low amp draw things. The inverter won't supply enough amperage to power coffee brewers, toaster ovens, hair dryers and those type of high amperage items. You must be plugged in to shore power or generator for the galley and rear to be powered.
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
There is nothing wrong with the outlets, it is designed that way. The one in front is for light loads such as electronic chargers and low amp draw things. The inverter won't supply enough amperage to power coffee brewers, toaster ovens, hair dryers and those type of high amperage items. You must be plugged in to shore power or generator for the galley and rear to be powered.

Yes - this is correct. Only three 120VAC outlets are powered by the inverter. The two TV outlets and the one near the floor behind the driver seat.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:16 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Thanks guys. Learn something new every day on this forum!
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
And (this is important) the one under the passenger seat in mine is also a GFCI outlet which controls the invertor supplied outlets. Took a while to figure that out when it tripped and the TVs both went off. Once again a lot of unhappy campers.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote