Old 11-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Front TV hookup without a box?

Anyone feel bored and want to share how the front tv is supposed to be hooked up without a box? It's so crammed along the wall and we have stuff going everywhere in the cubby. Trying to do it the easy way and cheat a bit....

Thank you if so!!!

Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:14 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Cedar Rapids , Iowa
If my request doesn't make sense...sorry, been a long day of cleaning the AS to get it put away.

The former owner took the cable box out and left everything a mess so it's disconnected now. I need to reconnect the correct wires and cables just to make it work on an antenna or if we decide to go with a streaming service.
Would be great if someone could take a couple pics or tell me where the cables are routed to so we can get it up and running.

Thank you.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Whe.ln you say “cable box” do you mean the hdmi splitter box? I think our AI’s are too old to have had those. Mine doesn’t have one either. What are you trying to do, exactly?
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:55 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Cedar Rapids , Iowa
The former owner had a dish tv box hooked up and removed it before we bought it and left all the cables unhooked in a bundle in the cabinet. I don't know what goes where.

Our rear tv works with the tv antenna. I'd just like to reconnect the front so we can watch DVDs or local channels off the tv antenna. (Basically we will not be using the satellite dish at this time).

I see there is a outlet with a couple things coming out, I don't remember if they are a tv cable and a HDMI or what, maybe a splitter (?)..I think there are two things/boxes left up there, don't remember what they are, etc. If we get a chance to take it out for Thanksgiving or Christmas break, it would be nice to get it back up and running. Would like to get it off my list before putting it back into storage after it goes to MB for a fix on the ad blue system.

I checked with dish today but they are not willing to hook the TV back up for us. It's probably simple but it's actually not the easiest spot to work in both up in the cabinet and behind that tv from what I see.

Right now I haven't figured out how to power the tv nor get any channels, but haven't spent any time on it either. Had other projects to do first.

I'd guess I'm trying to get it back to what it looked like when the original owner took ownership.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:01 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Mine was pretty empty up there when I got it. Just 2 hdmi cables ready to be hooked into a source of whatever nature. There are also 110 and 12v Receptacles so you can plug in whatever you need to up there. We have a hotspot we bring with us on trips so I have an Apple TV that I have as the hdmi source for both TVs. That’s hooked into a bidirectional hdmi splitter into which the destination tv hdmi cables are plugged. We can watch whatever from the Apple TV on either tv then (not both at the same time).

Your coax coming from the antenna should be screwed into each tv already I would think. You can test that out by doing a channel search on each tv to see if they find stations. I’m pretty sure the coax cabling never makes it into that shelf area. Only the power button for the antenna booster.

The cabling you have bunched up in there may be one or more hdmi cables or component video cables. You could probably reuse them if you need to. Hard to tell you much more than that without pics of what you’re dealing with and knowing what kind of device you want to use to watch content.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The easiest way to run down video cables is to have a small portable TV and a short RF cable with a f-barrel.
Check all the cables and label them.
Do you have the antenna booster? Usually both cable and antenna pass through it. Pull it out and check those lines too.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Cedar Rapids , Iowa
I don't know how to rotate pictures yet but here's a picture of the cables and connections. I think the short HDMI cable is the culprit, but I'm not sure.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Cedar Rapids , Iowa
A pic of what's up there. I can't see what hookups are on the back of the tv so that's making it especially difficult.
We have a Winegard satellite dish mounted to the roof, and I'm pretty sure the tv antenna is mounted to the roof in the back.

I haven't added Apple TV or anything yet as we are getting ready to put it back into storage for the winter today. Probably will in the spring. Just trying to get the local channels and hopefully the DVD player to have some sort of entertainment if we go on a short trip until then.

I'm sorry, I'm from the era where you had an old tv antenna and it worked just fine, so I really am not into this cable goes here and that there, etc. We just aren't lucky enough to have it hooked up and ready to go like most of you probably did. I'll take it to the local RV place or Best Buy once we take it out of storage again if I can't get it up and running today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2609FDDB-3D17-463B-9292-46B4D826F5ED.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	355940  
Old 11-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
I see an hdmi cable end. Find which tv that same color end is hooked to and that hdmi end should be able to be plugged into the source you want to use.

You need to search for channels on your tv and have the source as “antenna” or “tv” or whatever it needs to be in order to watch locals. Every time you go somewhere new and want to watch their locals you need to search again.

That box may be a splitter. Someone with that year or newer AI will have to chime in to explain it.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Got the TV to work. The DVD player is not, but it might be the remote as they have an all in one. Anyone know if the DVD player runs off the Samsung TV remote normally? If it does, I might not be connected right to my estimation.

Thanks for the help. We will probably add Apple TV or other systems in the spring when we use it more and can work on it when it's warmer out.
At least we can use the front TV for something if we go on a trip this winter.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:26 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Sorry for a silly thread. It's gotten cold so early this year that I was struggling to get the things on my to-do list done. I was hoping and thinking of why some of you might think these things are silly to consult about, but after running back and forth what seemed 100 times between the house and the AS sitting in the driveway before the temperature dropped what, 30 degrees this weekend, I thought, glad some of you don't mind! Appreciate help from those of you hanging in there on what might seem as lame posts!!!
Old 11-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Happy to help. Go Hawks! I’m getting my AI out of storage this weekend so hoping for some better temps next week to get ready for our trip west.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Better watch the game before you go! Should be a good one!

30 degree temps have never been so exciting!! Glad you are taking advantage of the weather!!! I'm hoping ours makes it back from the shop for it's second DEF issue in a week, or is it two?... That's why I was asking for help with silly things before it had to go in and then be put away for the winter.

I really hope you have a great trip and don't hit a lot of snow or anything. Some people have posted some pictures of the snow on the passes and it doesn't look particularly fun, but getting away for a while makes it worth it. I'd assume you mean a bit further than Kansas/Nebraska . Sorry in advance if anyone from there, no insults intended. Have a great trip!!!
Old 11-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Yeah, they better get their act together. That effort against DePaul was pitiful. We're doing a loop that takes us to Moab for Arches & Canyonlands, then down through Monument Valley on our way to the Grand Canyon. If we have a little extra time, we can probably hit Petrified Forest NP on our way back. Keeping an eye on the weather but won't know if we can take I-70 till mid-week next week. If not, we'll take I-80 then south to Grand Junction, CO from Rawlins, WY area. Worst case we have to go south through Kansas and New Mexico and maybe do the trip backwards. Highs should be mid-40's to mid-50's, with lows in the mid-20's to low 30's. Should be an educational trip from a cold management perspective. Usually we're battling the heat.

We have to take advantage of these weeks that the kids have a couple days off when we get them. What we've learned from our camping road trips over the last few years is that we like see and do a lot in each area, then move on so we cover as much ground as possible. Lots of people take vacations - we take trips. I think I'm ready for a good vacation though...
Old 11-18-2019, 09:26 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Sounds like a fantastic trip as long as the weather holds for you. Glad it's a few weeks later than it was, the snow and cold a few weeks ago would have been very challenging.

Maybe we should plan an AS caravan in the southbound direction because I'd take a vacation also. Or would settle for a trip even!

And we must have cheered loud enough cause that game was pretty darn awesome!!! You just never know how it's going to go, I guess some of the mystery and excitement of being a Hawkeye, although there's some that just are not happy if we don't have a whatever and O record!

I'm gonna get my hand slapped for getting off topic. Sorry MN. And everyone else.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:27 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Cedar Rapids , Iowa
On topic, Apple TV or Apple TV online streaming? Anyone have any comps? What do you subscribe to for sports?
Old 11-19-2019, 06:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Apple TV only works with a steady WiFi connection. On our travels we have never had a steady connection so have never had luck with our appleTV. We tether our phone go PS4 and run Netflix off of that. Just signed up for Disney+ and havenít had good luck running it on PS4 so I have been looking into other options... basically there is a lighting to AV cable that you can buy from amazon. As long as you have an available port on your HDMI splitter, you should be fine to run this.

This allows you to plug an HDMI into your phone and charge at the same time. I havenít ordered this yet, just from my research it seems to be the best option for us road warriors.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Ada...g+to+av&sr=8-2
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
PS Disney+ has a package subscription option for ESPN+. I believe that there are live games on there but please do your own due diligence on this comment. We arenít big sports people.
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:43 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Hawk-ination - what is your internet situation while on the road. If you don't have a hotspot and are going to rely on campground wifi, then I would plan on that not being great and you should count on movies (DVD), Netflix downloaded to your phone using the lightning to hdmi cable as BigSxyWhtGuy mentioned, or OTA locals.

If, on the other hand, you do have an unlimited hotspot, then you've got options for streaming. Apple TV is a hardware interface for using apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, etc. It's similar to an Amazon Fire TV, or Roku. You can then use a service like Directv Now (or whatever its called now), Sling TV, Youtube TV, Fubo TV, Hulu Live, or other services. If you're using these at home, you may be able to use these on the road too. We used to have Hulu Live but they don't really work well on the road because they limit your ability to change IP addresses, which hotspots do to you very frequently.

Alternatively, if you have traditional Directv or Dish Network satellite at home, you can log into the various apps for each channel that you like to watch, like ESPN, Fox News, Fox Sports (which also includes BTN), CNN, History Channel, etc. and then you don't have to sign up for a new streaming service. This is how we handle it on the road with our hotspot and Apple TV/Fire stick.

As a follow-up to BigSxyWhtGuy's comment above ESPN+ doesn't actually get you the games you want to watch that are broadcast on ESPN, ESPN2, etc., it gets you the more local and regional games - maybe small market football, volleyball, soccer, lacrosse, etc. ESPN+ is probably not what you want.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:51 AM   #20
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Short Answer: Get a FireStick, Viola!

WBCCI 9164
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2284022111820203/
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote