Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
front seat type airstream sprinters

Hello,
Just curious how Airstream prepares or replaces the oem front seats. According to sources I've conversed with,to be a certified Mercedes upfitter you cannot change front seats except for paddding and seat covers. The seats seem to look comfortable but how do the present owners feel about the comfort level? Thanks
Mary
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I have over 250,000 miles on the front seat of an '04 and now an '11 Sprinter service vans. Up to 18 hour days in the driver's seat.
They might not look great, but they certainly are comfortable for the long haul.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have over 130,000 miles on our seats.

No problems, and they remain very comfortable.

Maggie
Old 05-17-2013, 05:32 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
According to the sales staff at Airstream of Mississippi— I asked when I was shopping for my Interstate— the seats are the original Sprinter seats, just reupholstered and fitted with swivel bases that the originals didn't have.

In terms of comfort, my Interstate is the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned or driven. And I've owned fourteen vehicles since I got my driver's license, and driven dozens of different Government Motor Pool vehicles for work.

When I drive back to the family homestead every year, 750 miles one way all in about twelve hours, in every other car I've ever driven, by the time I arrived I'd be so sore I could barely move. With my Interstate, despite the larger size, I arrive with no discomfort in legs, back, butt, or shoulders. Even when I'm not going camping, the Interstate is my preferred vehicle for any out-of-town trip for that very reason.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
I totally agree. In my opinion, this is the most comfortable ride I have ever owned. I look forward to the drive as much as I do the to the destination.
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
This is from the MB Body/Equipment Mounting Directives manual that was in effect at the time my Sprinter was built. "Daimler AG will issue a certificate of endorsement at its discretion for modifications to the seat attachments (including seat bases) and seat belt anchorages or for the installation of seats other than those available from the factory."

My experience is that this is the most comfortable, enjoyable vehicle I've ever driven. Much of that is due to the design of the seats and seat mounting.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrick51 View Post
Hello,
Just curious how Airstream prepares or replaces the oem front seats. According to sources I've conversed with,to be a certified Mercedes upfitter you cannot change front seats except for paddding and seat covers. The seats seem to look comfortable but how do the present owners feel about the comfort level? Thanks
Mary
Actually, the seats in my 2007 Roadtrek, built on a 2006 Springer chassis with OEM seats, were much more comfortable (and more adjustable). My wife complains about the seats in the 2011 Interstate as the bottom seat is shorter and her long legs hang off. For me, I don't have any problem, but I don't have legs that go on forever, either.

Gerald
Old 05-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
For me, I don't have any problem, but I don't have legs that go on forever, either.
Now you're just bragging about the dear wife. I'm sort-of envious, but not enough to give up bachelorhood (yeah, like I could find anyone who'd have me).
Old 05-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
Actually, the seats in my 2007 Roadtrek, built on a 2006 Springer chassis with OEM seats, were much more comfortable (and more adjustable). My wife complains about the seats in the 2011 Interstate as the bottom seat is shorter and her long legs hang off. For me, I don't have any problem, but I don't have legs that go on forever, either.

Gerald
Ha! I have long legs, although I'm shrinking a bit as I get older. The passenger seat in ours was still pretty comfortable for me.

But, when we replaced our coach battery I think 2 years ago, they added "spacers" to the area under the passenger seat, in order to accommodate the new battery. Much better, room-wise.

The spacers looked like simple metal pipe, cut to a several inch length to add the extra height/room. Would be easy enough to do, I would think.

Don't ask me exactly where or how, because you would have to look to see and know. I just know it took only a few minutes for him to cut these and finish the install.

Long legs need some place to be.

Maggie
Old 05-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
That was the first thing I noticed in our first trip was when I got out at the destination, it didn't take several minutes for the stiffness to go away. I attributed it to both the comfort of the seat and the fact that it sits higher so that your legs aren't as horizontal as in other vehicles.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Mary,

As you can see here I travel both by SPRINTER and Mini on road trips.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rig 1.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	186062

The trusted little MINI has been my daily driver for almost 10 years and I wouldn't want to leave it behind but I must admit that I really like the amazingly comfortable, high up seating and the wide panoramic view from the Sprinter's cab as I roll along cross country.

The weight of the whole rig is almost 6 times as much but the unit has comparable road hugging handling to the MINI alone. I like too the bottom end feeling of torque from the diesel.

Sergei

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunset Grant.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	186063
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Smokelessjoe -- what a nice rig!!

I too like the torque of the diesel. My 2012 Sprinter/2013 Interstate has more pep than my previous Ford E350 with 5.4L V-8.

- - Mike
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
Seat upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrick51 View Post
Hello,
Mary
We contacted Aero of Oregon in Scappose and they retrofitted our seats with their materials from seats used in the private aerospace planes. Not perfect ,but much,much better and happy with work.
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
We find the seats to be very comfortable.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
The seats are very comfortable and supply very good support and I wish the second row had the same seats.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Park City , UT
Our second row seats are very comfortable (2012 Interstate). My only issue is the arm rest are way too high. I'm 6', and if I use them I jam my shoulders into the top of my neck. Not sure who they were designed for. I wish they were adjustable...
kaylorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I know the second row changed sometime after 2011 to include shoulder belts but my second row seats are great and the armrests seem to fit.