2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
This just gets curiouser & curiouser.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Curiouser and curiouser, with plot twist after plot twist.

I forgot to ask Cajun dude if he could fix a rock chip for me on Monday before applying the 3M. No matter - I figured I'd just get it done in advance. Yesterday I scheduled a mobile repair guy to come to the house, but he bailed on me this morning. Yikes, I hit the internet to find an alternate before noon on Saturday, which is when many businesses close. I found some guy with a very small auto glass outfit in a light industrial park a few miles north of me.

Advance moral of this story: Always chat people up. There's no telling what you'll learn.

I told this guy that I wanted my rock chip sealed because I'm having the windshield tinted. He does tints, but not 3M. He told me it wasn't legal and I said I know that, but I'm willing to roll the dice because there's the possibility of claiming a skin cancer prevention exemption. He said that yes, people do that, but he won't proceed with a tinting job unless people bring him a doctor's script in advance of the job, because some of the liability is on him. If a driver with a tinted windshield wrecks, the injured party can claim that the tinter is partially responsible because they reduced the visual acuity of the driver with their illegal tint job.

OK, that's the first I heard of that issue.

He went on to ask me why I'm paying to put an expensive tint on a 12-year-old windshield. I basically said that new windshields are also expensive, especially for oversized vans, and my pockets are not infinitely deep. He said, "I could replace it for $285 installed." I said, "What?! Dealers charge far more than that!" He said, "Of course they do. Then they subcontract to me at $295 a pop which is my dealer price, and they turn around and charge their customers $700-$800 for the job." I said, "But that's passenger car prices. This is a big van." He said, "It's just the same as a FEDEX van. It's not a big deal; I do them all the time."

I then asked him about MB vs. aftermarket glass. He said they all come from the same source. MB just puts their logo on some of it, along with the logo of the original manufacturer. In his opinion, it's all the same quality.

We already knew that the seal was starting to go on our 12-year-old windshield. I've already had to patch the corners (blog post here). Ergo, given the $285 quote, we decided to first replace the windshield before investing in the tint (old windshields can't be lifted and successfully re-seated, reportedly). So hopefully the windshield will get done on Monday and then I'll reschedule the tint for shortly thereafter.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:02 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
By "above" you probably meant another thread, which I am not going to look up right now, but you didn't put CR-90. ....
I seem to remember 70 on the windshield and 40 on the cab side windows. I don't really perceive the 70 as being dark. We go from an untinted car to the van and there is no big change, except glare is reduced. I do notice that the mirrors seem darker at sunset. We rarely drive at night, so it's not a problem.
BMW R1200GS
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Interblog, I remember many years ago you could get windshields with or without UV protection. The only reason I mention this is since all our RV's started from a basic van, could it be your old windshield lacks the protection?

Maybe your glass guy can tell you if he thinks your new windshield may perform better than your old one (even before the tint). Of course I would expect the difference to be minor.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:19 AM   #61
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Just got my 3M window tint and it truly is amazing. I went 90 on windshiels with a visor strip on top and 70 on windows. I drove in at 9am and could feel sun through the windows, left at 2pm and could feel no heat coming through on way home. They filled out all the warranty info and presented me with warranty papers stating the products they used. They are a certified dealer in Myrtle beach and were great to work with. So glad I heard about this product thru this forum. Thanks to all
Mansderm161 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Interblog, I remember many years ago you could get windshields with or without UV protection. The only reason I mention this is since all our RV's started from a basic van, could it be your old windshield lacks the protection?

Maybe your glass guy can tell you if he thinks your new windshield may perform better than your old one (even before the tint). Of course I would expect the difference to be minor.
Good question - I don't know the answer to it. The way 3M presents data, they do not appear to distinguish one windshield from another. Here's an annotated screengrab of their representations. They make a general statement regarding bare glass.

You can also see the booger of a spec difference circled in red. For a visible light reduction of only 17 additional percent, heat rejection doubles. Taken at face value, this explains why the installer to whom I spoke was so adamant that I do NOT want CR-90.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:41 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Taken at face value, this explains why the installer to whom I spoke was so adamant that I do NOT want CR-90.

Looks like CR70 is the sweet spot. I was just willing to settle for a 20% reduction, and full UV protection in order to block the least about of light.

I also knew the side windows already had factory tint (little though it may be) and I hoped is was already equivalent to the CR90, so I should be well above the clear glass heat reduction.

I avoided doing the windshield because of the extra cost, risk of breakage, and we really don't feel the heat coming in there while driving. I also installed a custom carpeted dash cover in gray which seems to do a good job of keeping the dash cooler.

I wondered if maybe a new windshield would inherently have better heat reduction over your 11 yr. old original. Maybe your installer could answer that.

Please let us know how the saga turns out.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:47 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Just got my 3M window tint and it truly is amazing. I went 90 on windshiels with a visor strip on top and 70 on windows. I drove in at 9am and could feel sun through the windows, left at 2pm and could feel no heat coming through on way home. They filled out all the warranty info and presented me with warranty papers stating the products they used. They are a certified dealer in Myrtle beach and were great to work with. So glad I heard about this product thru this forum. Thanks to all
Sounds like my experience so far as the dealer is concerned. I too got warranty papers and was satisfied with the process. They've been in business many years with a great reputation, but my dealer is not listed on the 3M site as "Crystalline authorized".

I didn't feel a complete lack of heat through my side windows afterward, but I went with the 90%, which is about 1/2 of the 70% reduction as shown in Interblog's chart.

Let us know if you notice any problems seeing out or seeing your side mirrors at night.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:20 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Replacing the 12-year-old windshield pre-emptively was the right call. Water penetration had begun in an area of which I was not aware. But no rust had developed, hallelujah (T1N Sprinters are notorious for rust at the windshields).

Windshield Man says that certain vehicles, this vintage of Dodge-plated Sprinter included, suffer from the issue of the wrong paint being applied between the frame and the windshield adhesive.

The manufacturers spray-coat the entire body of the vehicle, and then set the windshield into its frame without re-priming that channel first. The adhesive does not stick well to the OEM body paint - it needs a specific primer for optimal adhesion. So he said, "Your adhesive was stuck to your windshield but not well-stuck to your frame - it was coming loose here and there." They primed it before adding the new one.

I'm going to let the seal cure a few days (as he recommended) and then have the tint done.

Meanwhile, the new windshield is freakishly clear. It's almost like looking at augmented reality or something. I didn't think that the original windshield was in bad shape, scratch-wise, but the improvement is remarkable.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:11 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Thanks to all of you for the great information on reduction %ís and $$ costs from all of your various locations!

Wachuko, I liked how your tint turned out from viewing your pictures!

However I'm not sure which film you actually got on your windshield, the CR90 or the CR70 ?

On your 3-28-18 post it was CR90 and 4-6-18 it was CR70!

Thanks!

Mark
Old 05-08-2018, 03:13 AM   #67
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
This is what I paid:

3M Crystalline - Windscreen Lifetime Warranty70: US$360.00
3M Crystalline - 2 Front Doors Lifetime Warranty40: US$250.00
3M Crystalline - SunstripLifetime Warranty40: US$40.00

Everything installed was US$695.50 with the tax
Mark,

That was a copy/paste from my invoice... had not noticed until you called it out... here I have been saying that I got 90 for windshield when in fact the install was done with 70...

Apologies for the confusion
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:03 AM   #68
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
That actually explains why, with so a much larger windshield, the AI has less heat than my X5 ( done with 90)...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:03 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Thanks Wachuko for clearing that up for me!

I got a quote for CR70 on the windshield and CR 40 on the door windows for $800!

From everyones posts, it looks like the sweet spot is in the $600 - $695 range.

Mark
Old 05-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
Thanks Wachuko for clearing that up for me!

I got a quote for CR70 on the windshield and CR 40 on the door windows for $800!

From everyones posts, it looks like the sweet spot is in the $600 - $695 range.

Mark
$800 was also my quote. $500 for windshield, $300 for both side windows.

I passed on the windshield for a variety of reasons (including price).