Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
GREAT ESCAPES

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tenafly , New Jersey
Front & Rear Camera Kenwood Radio Integration

Integrating a Front & Rear Camera into the Kenwood Radio-Navigation Unit (Pictures: See Attached PDF file)
AIRSTREAM Interstate EXT

We recently purchased a 2014 Interstate Ext this past fall; actually built on a 2013 Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500 Chassis.

I’ve always had a great deal of appreciation for folks who take the time out to post “How too” topics; so with that said, this will be my first and I hope it’s helpful for anyone looking to eliminate the Pyle Rearview Camera system, while Integrating the Rear Camera, as well as a Front Camera system into the Factory Installed Kenwood Radio GPS Navigation System.
Our 2013/2014 Interstate was delivered from AIRSTREAM with a KENWOOD DNX890HD system; this system allows for two separate CMOS Cameras to be installed. This project took me approximately four hours to complete, which included a lot of exploring in finding the existing Rear Camera wiring and such; so hopefully this will help in keeping you on schedule. I should also note that I have gained a lot of experience in this type of work while in college (early nineties) installing Cellular and Two-Way Radio equipment at a local Land Mobile Radio shop. But don’t let that discourage you from taking this project on; in the end, you will have relocated the Hands-Free Microphone and cleaned up the messy wiring, reclaimed your Rear-View Mirror in order to allow you to keep an eye on the rear cabin area, as well as use the rear windows while driving, redirect the rear-view camera through the in-dash Radio GPS Navigation system, as well as adding a Front Camera as an additional parking aide.

Needed Tools and Supplies: I purchased a fairly inexpensive Camera made by Audiovox from my local Best Buy stereo shop; it cost me under $100. In addition, I picked up a roll of wiring loom; crimp type electrical terminals and some heat shrink tubing.
Tools:
· Torx Screw Driver Set (T15 to T25)
· Wire Striper / Terminal Crimp Tool
· Tie Wraps
· Wire Cutter
· Phillips Screw Driver
· Scissors
· Metric Socket Set (1/4” Drive)
· Volt Meter or Voltage Test Light
· Wiring fish ( A tool for snaking wiring through the fire-wall and or Dash Board area)
· Electrical Tape
· Heat Gun or Hair Dryer
· Electrical Connectors (Crimp Type)
· Wiring Loom
· A Female-to-Female bullet (Used in connecting the existing Rear-View Camera to the KENWOOD Radio)
· 6’ Video RCA to RCA cable (Might need it, I didn’t as I was able to use the existing rear-view camera video cable)

Planning: I recommend doing this project when the weather is warm, avoid doing this in a cold environment as the plastic trim parts can become brittle and perhaps crack when trying to remove them.
  • Refer to the Attached PDF file for STEP-by-STEP instructions and Example Pictures and Images to help you along.
· Hopefully all went well, and you are sitting back and admiring your craftsmanship. I hope this was helpful and provided some close and intimate time with your family in helping out, as well as providing some time in getting to know your AIRSTREAM better. Please excuse and ignore any spelling and grammatical errors.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AIRSTREAM Interstate Camera.pdf (1.71 MB, 1063 views)
scott.semone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Awesome writeup! I'll have to bookmark this for future reference. Thank you and welcome to the forum!
David
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Excellent! I never liked the Pyle, so I may attempt this early next year. Thank you - your PDF is saved away!
Peter
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Welcome to the forums!

Excellent write-up. I would like some extra camera views but would like to keep the Pyle Rearview Camera system. I like having the rear view camera up all the time without having to press any buttons. But adding two "maneuvering" cameras for parking and blind spots would be great.

I see from your photos you have a battery on the Auxiliary tray in the engine compartment. Was that delivered from Airstream? Is it a Sprinter Aux battery or as an extra house/coach battery?
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
GREAT ESCAPES

Tenafly , New Jersey
Battery: I think our Airstream is a late 2013 Sprinter, actually it's registered as a 2014; however it does not have the new head lights and such that you see on the new 2014 Sprinter Interstates. The battery post is still located uunder the hood, just like the early 2013 models which have the battery located under the drivers foot well compartment.

Back-Up L.E.D. Lights - Future Project: I'm going to install L.E.D. (Wheelen) white lights under the rear area of the Sprinter; forward and aft of the rear wheels (four lights total). The plan is to have all four lights illuminated when in Reverse, and have the two lights on the curb side (passenger) come on when I use the patio light switch.

I might replace the AIRSTREAM OEM L.E.D. patio light with a Wheellen brand.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.semone View Post
Battery: I think our Airstream is a late 2013 Sprinter, actually it's registered as a 2014; however it does not have the new head lights and such that you see on the new 2014 Sprinter Interstates. The battery post is still located uunder the hood, just like the early 2013 models which have the battery located under the drivers foot well compartment...
Thanks -- what you have looks like an auxiliary battery in engine compartment. I'd bet you also have the main battery under the driver floor.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
GREAT ESCAPES

Tenafly , New Jersey
Alternative Camera Views: If you like and want to keep the Pyle Rear-View Mirror Video Screen; I was looking at the possibility of putting another camera above the Patio Light. You can access the patio light and wiring behind the Control Panel (Tank Status, Generator Start, Inverter, etc..). It's just four wood screws and the control face plate just slides to the side in order to access wiring and such.

I've been meaning to see if the battery box is in place; I could use it for emergency storage and or an extra battery.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
I might replace the AIRSTREAM OEM L.E.D. patio light with a Wheellen brand.
Source? That's a replacement that makes a lot of sense to me. The one Airstream provides is hardly bright enough to even qualify as a night-light, let alone actually illuminate the patio area.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
GREAT ESCAPES

Tenafly , New Jersey
WHELEN strobes and lights; we are starting to see lots of First Responder Apparatus Vehicles equipped with the new WHELEN L.E.D. type lights. I agree with the DIM illumination of the stock AIRSTREAM lights; the WHELEN stuff is super bright and high quality.

I'll post something once I finish up the lighting project.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Great write-up and pics!

Did you consider using one of the unused fuse slots along w/ the piggy-back terminals to facilitate fuse replacement?

I read in a forum someplace where the Sprinter lighting circuits don't play well w/ LEDs. Something about the diagnostic fault circuitry. Maybe the WHELEN LEDs have the proper load resistors to eliminate this problem.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Great write-up and pics!

Did you consider using one of the unused fuse slots along w/ the piggy-back terminals to facilitate fuse replacement?

I read in a forum someplace where the Sprinter lighting circuits don't play well w/ LEDs. Something about the diagnostic fault circuitry. Maybe the WHELEN LEDs have the proper load resistors to eliminate this problem.
Patio light isn't on the Sprinter chassis harness, it's on the Airstream house harness. And the Airstream-original patio light is an LED light already. Problem is, it's an automotive dome light, repurposed as a patio light, and is not really meant to illuminate the an 8×12 area under an awning.

Side note, when I bought an LED replacement for my Honda Fit toad's dome light, the LED that fit the dome light was exactly the same one that's in my Interstate's patio light.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
My brother just told me about a wireless rear camera he uses on his trailer. That would simplify the wiring requirements.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Boonville , Missouri
Great Writeup - small change

Scott,
Thank you for this great writeup. I just had an in-motion satellite system installed in my Interstate, and while it was at the radio shop, I asked the tech to make the alteration you documented. I gave him your step-by-step instructions. The tech did one other thing for me on his own initiative, which was to add a small switch to the left of the display. With this switch, I can "trick" the unit into thinking I'm in reverse so that I can look out the camera anytime I want. The camera comes on automatically when I go to reverse.
As for the in-motion, the shop did an awesome job with that as well. I went with a Trackvision A-7 with 2 tuners. The receivers were mounted in the cabinet over the driver's head., and an RF modulator was used to get the signal to the rear tv through the installed coax cable.
NewOldDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #14
GREAT ESCAPES

Tenafly , New Jersey
I like the idea of the switch, it's a nice little touch. I found if I hold the AUX button down for a little longer than a second, this activates the camera view. You can then select the front or rear view by using the touch screen to toggle between the two views. You should see an image with two arrows pointing in opposite directions, left and right. For my unit, selecting the left side activates the Front View Camera and selecting the Right Side activates the Rear View Camera.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #15
Buff

1981 27' Excella II
Rockford , Michigan
My wife and I did a custom renovation of a 1981 Airstream a couple of years ago and installed conduit from the rear of the trailer to the front and installed an infrared camera behind the trailer. I would not travel without it but I find the monitor on my dashboard of the truck is hard to see in sunlight. I am wondering if I can upgrade the monitor to a HD screen to avoid this problem??
buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by buff View Post
My wife and I did a custom renovation of a 1981 Airstream a couple of years ago and installed conduit from the rear of the trailer to the front and installed an infrared camera behind the trailer. I would not travel without it but I find the monitor on my dashboard of the truck is hard to see in sunlight. I am wondering if I can upgrade the monitor to a HD screen to avoid this problem??
Welcome to the AirForums! Glad to have you with us.

Before you spend the money for an HD monitor, consider getting screen protector film for the monitor you have. Most screen protector films not only help prevent scratching of the screen, but serve to cut glare as well.

If they don't make an anti-glare film for your specific monitor, you can get one for an iPad or other tablet computer and trim it to fit. Whichever make/model of screen protector you get, make sure it has a matte finish to cut glare, and that it pulls off without leaving a sticky residue if you want to replace it.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:47 PM   #17

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
HD is unlikely to solve your issue. Protagonists idea might work, but your best bet is to come up with a shield that blocks the sun's glare from getting to the screen. I haven't looked recently but a few years ago there were several mounting iPhone/iPad brackets on the market with an "eyebrow" projection to shed the screen.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:

Back-Up L.E.D. Lights - Future Project: I'm going to install L.E.D. (Wheelen) white lights under the rear area of the Sprinter; forward and aft of the rear wheels (four lights total). The plan is to have all four lights illuminated when in Reverse, and have the two lights on the curb side (passenger) come on when I use the patio light switch.
Quote:
WHELEN stuff is super bright and high quality.

I'll post something once I finish up the lighting project.
Wondering if you ever did the backup lites w/ LEDs and if so, was there any problems w/ the MB diagnostic circuitry.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I finally got around to installing a front and new rear camera on my Interstate. I feed the video into my Kenwood DNX7190 in much the way Scott did it at the beginning of this tread. I kept the original Sony camera installed by Airstream attached to the Pyle mirror monitor because mine works fine and I like it. I wanted a front camera and a lower rear cameras for parking/maneuvering. Since the Kenwood DNX7190 will also take two camera inputs I thought this would be straight forward as in Scott's description. Wrong! After installing both cameras and getting ready to complete the hook up I found that Airstream had actually cut off the Kenwood camera control input wires right at the plug as seen in this photo.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433468084.974415.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	240017
Those two green wires cut off at the connector were for connection to a Kenwood CMOS camera to enable the touch screen control of the camera. So first task was fixing those cut wires - a challenging job. I got it done and cleaned up the Airstream wire bundles covered wire sticky electrical tape. Here a photos of the front and rear cameras.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433468923.110149.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	240018

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433468945.443593.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	240019
Here are screen shots of the front and rear camera video on the Kenwood unit.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433469019.888007.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	240020

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433469045.322164.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	240021
Those blue and green bins in front of van were not visible from the driver seat - so I'm pleased with the results.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Old 06-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Does the rear camera produce the superimposed line projections?