Old 02-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #15
Buff

1981 27' Excella II
Rockford , Michigan
My wife and I did a custom renovation of a 1981 Airstream a couple of years ago and installed conduit from the rear of the trailer to the front and installed an infrared camera behind the trailer. I would not travel without it but I find the monitor on my dashboard of the truck is hard to see in sunlight. I am wondering if I can upgrade the monitor to a HD screen to avoid this problem??

Old 02-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by buff View Post
My wife and I did a custom renovation of a 1981 Airstream a couple of years ago and installed conduit from the rear of the trailer to the front and installed an infrared camera behind the trailer. I would not travel without it but I find the monitor on my dashboard of the truck is hard to see in sunlight. I am wondering if I can upgrade the monitor to a HD screen to avoid this problem??
Welcome to the AirForums! Glad to have you with us.

Before you spend the money for an HD monitor, consider getting screen protector film for the monitor you have. Most screen protector films not only help prevent scratching of the screen, but serve to cut glare as well.

If they don't make an anti-glare film for your specific monitor, you can get one for an iPad or other tablet computer and trim it to fit. Whichever make/model of screen protector you get, make sure it has a matte finish to cut glare, and that it pulls off without leaving a sticky residue if you want to replace it.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #17

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
HD is unlikely to solve your issue. Protagonists idea might work, but your best bet is to come up with a shield that blocks the sun's glare from getting to the screen. I haven't looked recently but a few years ago there were several mounting iPhone/iPad brackets on the market with an "eyebrow" projection to shed the screen.

Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.semone View Post

Back-Up L.E.D. Lights - Future Project: I'm going to install L.E.D. (Wheelen) white lights under the rear area of the Sprinter; forward and aft of the rear wheels (four lights total). The plan is to have all four lights illuminated when in Reverse, and have the two lights on the curb side (passenger) come on when I use the patio light switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.semone View Post
WHELEN stuff is super bright and high quality.

I'll post something once I finish up the lighting project.
Wondering if you ever did the backup lites w/ LEDs and if so, was there any problems w/ the MB diagnostic circuitry.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I finally got around to installing a front and new rear camera on my Interstate. I feed the video into my Kenwood DNX7190 in much the way Scott did it at the beginning of this tread. I kept the original Sony camera installed by Airstream attached to the Pyle mirror monitor because mine works fine and I like it. I wanted a front camera and a lower rear cameras for parking/maneuvering. Since the Kenwood DNX7190 will also take two camera inputs I thought this would be straight forward as in Scott's description. Wrong! After installing both cameras and getting ready to complete the hook up I found that Airstream had actually cut off the Kenwood camera control input wires right at the plug as seen in this photo.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433468084.974415.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	240017
Those two green wires cut off at the connector were for connection to a Kenwood CMOS camera to enable the touch screen control of the camera. So first task was fixing those cut wires - a challenging job. I got it done and cleaned up the Airstream wire bundles covered wire sticky electrical tape. Here a photos of the front and rear cameras.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433468923.110149.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	240018

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433468945.443593.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	240019
Here are screen shots of the front and rear camera video on the Kenwood unit.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433469019.888007.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	240020

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433469045.322164.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	240021
Those blue and green bins in front of van were not visible from the driver seat - so I'm pleased with the results.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Does the rear camera produce the superimposed line projections?

Old 06-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Does the rear camera produce the superimposed line projections?

Yes - that is a feature of the Kenwood CMOS-310 camera I used and the reason I needed to fix the wires that Airstream cut off. They are what tell the head unit that you have a 310 camera with built in guidelines. The lines can be turned off and on via the touch screen. This camera also has several possible views, one that looks down for hitching up a trailer. It is a sweet camera, but expensive - about $300. I went cheap on the front camera so it does not have all the extra features.

The CMOS-310 is actually discontinued, which probably drives up the cost of those still available. But Kenwood also has a newer CMOS-320 that is a bit cheaper at $250 and I think it has the same features.

Hopefully Airstream didn't cut the wires on all their installation. It was clear that the part of the camera wiring was done on a shop bench as many connections were properly soldered and sealed with shrink tube. Only the final power and speaker wires were done with cheap crimp connectors on the van during final install. I re-soldered the power leads, but left the speaker wire crip connectors as it was just too much work.

One other thing I discovered about the wiring done by Airstream was the way they wired the Kenwood "Accessory" wire. This wire is designed to be controlled by the vehicle ignition key switch. Airstream connected it to the ignition switch AND the house batteries. That way the Kenwood is fully powered when the house battery switch is on and you have to turn off the Kenwood unit manually. When the house battery switch is off the MB Sprinter key controls power to the radio. That means my new cameras are always powered. Don't how that will effect reliability. Don't know if all Interstates are wired this way?

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Old 06-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Took my new cameras for a first drive today and discovered an feature of the Kenwood software I didn't anticipate. The front camera uses the AV1 input connector. BTW the AV2 input is locked to the iPhone since it is hard wired by Airstream. The name of the AV1 input on the menu can be selected from a list by the user. I first used the name "Video" and discovered that I could not get the front camera video on the display unless the parking brake was on. Then I tried the name "Aux". That didn't work either so I tried the name "Navigation". It worked! Now I can bring up the front camera video by selecting "Navigation" from the on screen menu and don't need to set the parking brake to get the front camera video on the Kenwood screen.

- - Mike
Old 06-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
How do you get the Nav screen to come up?

Old 06-06-2015, 01:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
How do you get the Nav screen to come up?

The "Navigation" screen is now just the name of the AV-IN input on the main menu. I gave it that name for the camera from the selectable list. It looks like this.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433613809.393961.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	240110
The AV-IN name is set in the "Setup/Source" like this.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433613950.293895.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	240111

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433613988.985677.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	240112

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433614033.519409.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	240113
It can be confusing since I now have two menu items named "Navigation". But the camera has an icon showing the video/audio cables. BTW now once I select the front camera the audio switches also to AV-IN, so othe audio like radios or Bluetooth stop. It's OK for me as I only use the front camera for low speed parking maneuvering.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Old 06-12-2015, 09:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Update - seems I fooled myself into thinking I had solved the need to have parking brake set to get the AV-IN video on the screen by naming it "Navigation". I was out with the van yesterday and tried to use the front camera in a tight parking spot. Needed to set parking brake to get front camera video. I guess my next step will be to bypass the parking brake wire from the DNX7190.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Does the parking brake pull the line to ground or 12V? Either way it seems you could just supply one or the other to the input to the radio so it thinks the PB is always set.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
According to information I've found and the diagram with the Kenwood installation instructions it just goes to ground. So I should be able to simply ground the Parking Brake wire. I'll have to do it later because I'm about to start my summer travels.

- - Mike
Old 06-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thanks for the nice writeup and pictures. I just hardwired a new Blackvue Dash Cam into our coach, and your description gave me the information and more importantly the confidence to get it done. We'll see how well I did after the trip we're taking this week, but any issues will be my bad workmanship, not the basic process. This forum is the best feature of our recent purchase!