Old 07-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
This valve is designed for 3/8 or 1/2 thread. Ours is the bigger one, a half-inch, so you just cut the unnessessary 3/8 portion, and it will fit even with the bottom of tank.
You may also have to cut off a few of the 1/2 threads to get it flush with the tank bottom when screwed all the way in. Don't go by the original plug, which can stick up without affecting anything, go by the number of threads on the tank itself.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
How about this one, Marc, it looks like it will be only half of an inch lower then the original plug
Looks like it would work. Let us know how it turns out.

I'm sticking w/ the plug (KISS philosophy).

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
Might be too small

Quote:
This valve is designed for 3/8 or 1/2 thread. Ours is the bigger one, a half-inch, so you just cut the unnessessary 3/8 portion, and it will fit even with the bottom of tank.
I have that valve and IIRC both sets of threads are too small for the fresh water plug.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
What was your reason for draining it? I refill my fresh water whenever I get back from a trip and keep it full for my next trip. I don't use my fresh water tank to drink. I heard people drain it for winter, but I don't have to worry about snow in LA.

Oh if only I again lived in that perfect climate of California. 😎

I have to drain it during the freezing winters here in Maryland and again when I return form our typical Florida trip in February to unthaw. If it sits full like now at 90-100 degF it tends to grow things so I shock it with bleach, drain and refill before the next trip.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:00 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You may also have to cut off a few of the 1/2 threads to get it flush with the tank bottom when screwed all the way in. Don't go by the original plug, which can stick up without affecting anything, go by the number of threads on the tank itself.
It was smart!
Old 07-15-2016, 08:03 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Oh if only I again lived in that perfect climate of California. ��

I have to drain it during the freezing winters here in Maryland and again when I return form our typical Florida trip in February to unthaw. If it sits full like now at 90-100 degF it tends to grow things so I shock it with bleach, drain and refill before the next trip.

- - Mike
Chlorine smell is difficult to eliminate, and once you shock tank with bleach, it should stinks then?
Old 07-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Chlorine smell is difficult to eliminate, and once you shock tank with bleach, it should stinks then?

I prefer a little chlorine odor to the green slim I've drained from the tank in the past when I let it sit for a few months at end of a summer trip.

- - Mike
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I prefer a little chlorine odor to the green slim I've drained from the tank in the past when I let it sit for a few months at end of a summer trip.

- - Mike
Make sense indeed )
Old 07-15-2016, 08:29 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
I always add a little bleach Each time I fill.

As far as wrench use, NO WAY. I use some plumbers tape also and just tighten and undo by hand. It's very easy to strip drain plug or tank threading.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-15-2016, 08:40 PM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
According to both the EPA and the World Health Organization, a chlorine residual between 1% and 4% is drinkable— and chlorine is recommended for emergency treatment of water supplies— but some people can taste concentrations as low as 2%. A 1% concentration is virtually undetectable by human taste buds. But as long as there is any chlorine residual in the water, no microorganisms can grow in it.

Note that even 4% chlorine is way less than the concentration used to sanitize your tank.

Also, with a vented tank, the concentration of chlorine in a tank of fresh water should drop by about 1% per day because chlorine gradually evaporates out of the water. If you add 4% chlorine when you fill the tank, then by day 5 all of the chlorine should be gone.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:16 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtom View Post
I have that valve and IIRC both sets of threads are too small for the fresh water plug.
You appeared to be the most correct in regards of the plug size.
Our fresh water drain plug is 3/4 inch, so the above pictured plastic crap wound not fit.

I bought today the brass one of the correct size at a local Home Depot (pictured), however it sticks down for two inches.
No good also.

Thus, if nobody have any other advise, I will follow recommendations of the majority - will use the stock plug.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	266889  
Old 07-16-2016, 06:35 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

fairfax station , va
socket, no wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post

As far as wrench use, NO WAY. I use some plumbers tape also and just tighten and undo by hand. It's very easy to strip drain plug or tank threading.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
You are right, but if you use the 1" giganto deep socket it makes a great "hand tightener" without an actual ratchet.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
The update.

I found the solution by cutting with Dremel a half of the new brass socket, right to the place of switching ball. So, now the total length down from the factory water tank cap collar is 1 inch, which is not dangerous to scratch it, though I do not drive on havy terrains.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	28
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	267000  
Old 07-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
But I still have a concern.

The original screwed tank cap had traces of green mold and algae, that means the water always had some leak through the cap thread although I had found it on a Teflon tape.

I put a lot of new Teflon tape on the brass thread, and I made several attempts to screw in the new facet to avoid water drops. My concern is that there were always a hanging drop of water from between the threads. Finally I put almost half of a roll of Teflon tape to avoid water drops, however I don't want to brake the tank because the mother thread made of plastic. Will see and keep you updated.

Should the water drop anyway will appear there, is any other method exist to patch between the threads? I would like to put it permanently but with ability to unscrew it if needed, so JB-weld epoxy would not be a solution.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	27
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	267003