Old 05-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I was advised by an Airstream Tech to also drain out the hot water heater tank after every trip. He recited the number of times he has opened up the drain seen nasty black water come out. So we just drain everything after every trip.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:25 PM   #16

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Mooresville , Indiana
Issue with pump - full fresh water tank - no water coming out

I'm a new owner of a 2016 Interstate Grand Tour EXT and just did our first dry dock experience in one of our state parks.

Unfortunately I didn't "test" the water before I left so when we got there, we had no pressure and therefore no water - to flush toilet, run water in kitchen nor bathroom sink.

The tank monitor showed it was 2/3 full. When I got back home I put a hose in the inlet to fill the tank up thinking it was empty and I was getting a false reading - not so as after maybe 2 minutes, the tank was full again. Going back in and testing each point - nothing.

I then connected the hose to the city water inlet to see if something was maybe blocked and once I did that, I had water flowing again. Disconnecting that and trying it again from just the tanks - nothing.

Surely I've missed something? Anyone out there know what's going on?

Old 05-29-2016, 09:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
We put our Airstream away "clean and dry" every trip.

We drain the hot water heater, and open the low point drains and drain them out. If we used the fresh water holding tank, we drain it also.

This way we have no worries about slime build up in any of the tanks, and we just feel that the trailer stays fresher and newer longer this way. We live in a hot humid summer climate.

When we "un-winterized" (summerized?) we sanitized the lines and tanks at that time.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachcruiser View Post
Dumb questions: Did you turn the pump on? Is the fuse blown?
Old 05-29-2016, 10:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
I'm a new owner of a 2016 Interstate Grand Tour EXT and just did our first dry dock experience in one of our state parks.

Unfortunately I didn't "test" the water before I left so when we got there, we had no pressure and therefore no water - to flush toilet, run water in kitchen nor bathroom sink.

The tank monitor showed it was 2/3 full. When I got back home I put a hose in the inlet to fill the tank up thinking it was empty and I was getting a false reading - not so as after maybe 2 minutes, the tank was full again. Going back in and testing each point - nothing.

I then connected the hose to the city water inlet to see if something was maybe blocked and once I did that, I had water flowing again. Disconnecting that and trying it again from just the tanks - nothing.

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new Interstate.
The most obvious and to some a silly question, but did you remember to switch on the water pump? Without the pump pressurizing the water system, you'll get no flow unless you're hooked up to city water.
When the pump is switched on, you should hear it running initially, and then you should open each faucet in turn, moving it from cold to hot and back to cold to expel air in the pipes before it will function properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 05-30-2016, 12:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
And if you can here the pump running but still no flow, then it's not priming. I used compressed air in the tank fill opening w/ a rag stuffed around it to hold some pressure on the tank. This forces water to the pump and viola, it primed and worked.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:11 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Draining fresh water tanks ????????????

All of y'all are working to hard. Here's what I do.

Step One….Tell your daughter her hair looks dirty.

Step Two….There is only one step; She'll take a half hour shower. Problem solved.

If there are no daughters available, I drain. I am paranoid by the numerous ways viruses and bacteria can contaminate water. The other reason I drain is because I don't much like to feel the water sloshing around when I am towing.

Read up on the Norovirus. It gets to be an epidemic on hiking trails. Hikers are warned to not shake hands, accept food, or touch things others have touched. I usually camp among tent campers who can't wash up as easily as millionaire Airstream owners. ( A virus can be dangerous in certain wilderness hikes )
Old 05-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I thought of this thread yesterday when I read the news headline saying "3 million sippy cups recalled after children get sick". The news outlets are calling the culprit "mold" but I would bet that it includes at least a few representatives of a full complement of microorganisms (bacteria, protozoa, fungi, miscellaneous microscopic animals).

One could argue that sippy cups offer much higher biological oxygen demand than fresh water, and thus represent a greater microorganism development risk than RV fresh water tanks. But correspondingly, the vast majority of parents are very careful about what they feed their toddlers and they wash dinnerware thoroughly. And still, this happened.

The infection pattern is as would be expected - about 70 children reported to be sickened, which is not many relative to the number of units sold (I would expect that number to be significantly underestimated as toddlers get sick at the drop of a hat and parents often cannot determine why, especially if the illness is mild). Smallish numbers, but nobody wants to volunteer to become part of such an illness pool.

One of the case studies we went over in wastewater utilities licensing class is Milwaukee cryptosporidium outbreak of about 20 years ago, which was the largest documented waterborne disease outbreak in American history. 403,000 people sickened but only 69 deaths. Again, this kind of thing tends to hit the old and the young and those with weakened immune systems the hardest. But personally I would not be inclined to put my own immune system to the test in any avoidable scenario.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #23

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Mooresville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
Dumb questions: Did you turn the pump on? Is the fuse blown?
Thanks for the "Smart Questions"; I noticed one of the switch wires came loose after checking this again from your comment - problem solved! Thanks for the nudge as it made me dig deeper.

I'd like to think that the Airstream folks have created a "start-up checklist" for coach owners to make sure certain things are done before a road trip; if there is something like this out there, let me know where I can find it; otherwise something like this would be helpful for folks that begin and end their road trips to care for their coaches better.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:46 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
I'd like to think that the Airstream folks have created a "start-up checklist" for coach owners to make sure certain things are done before a road trip; if there is something like this out there, let me know where I can find it; otherwise something like this would be helpful for folks that begin and end their road trips to care for their coaches better.
Search this forum for checklists as there is at least one thread dealing w/ the subject.

Here's a few:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...te-150712.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ks-140985.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ist-79086.html

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:18 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
switch wire on what?
Old 06-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:

73shark provided an excellent link list for you, but let me cut to the chase and summarize what I have found to be the best 30,000-foot advice:

No matter which start-up system or checklist(s) you decide to develop for yourself, do not mix automotive readiness and trip readiness issues.

This is analogous to the workshop mantra of do not mix tools and hardware. Husband and I have a DIY garage which is always in some state of chaos - the only question is degree. But as long as we keep the tools and hardware separated, we can control the chaos. Same general principle applies to the Interstate and I struggled with this organizational issue until I hit upon that primary division (many RV readiness checklists available on the internet do not make a distinction). Now I use this magnetic do-done board for automotive readiness (blog post link there, with that board being supplemented by "remove before flight" tags such as these) plus my own paper checklist that gets customized for packing each trip appropriately depending on what the trip entails. We do a large number of short trips for a variety of different reasons (employment, outdoor recreation, socialization, college trips, one person, two persons, with child, without child, with dog, without dog, etc.), so the one-list-per-trip customization is essential.