Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2019, 08:51 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
Flush Value Won't Let Water In

First hello everyone. I was ill for a year and did not post or reply. I am feeling much better and back to RVing. My question is this.

I have a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour. I was flushing my black tank and everything was good. Then all of a sudden on my second attempt, the water would not go in.

All I could figure was there was a value that closed to eliminate water from entering. Your assistance would be appreciated.

Gary

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:16 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
I've heard of instances where the check-valve not the black tank flush line being installed backwards at the factory.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
I've heard of instances where the check-valve not the black tank flush line being installed backwards at the factory.
It this case, it worked for many usages and just stopped during my last trip. Thank you for your response.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
You are talking about flushing out the black tank using the hose fitting at the macerator hose reel, and not valve that flushes the toilet itself - correct? Agree it seems odd that a backwards check valve would work many time then stop working. Seems instead that the check valve may have been installed correctly then got stuck in the closed position after a long period of non-use. On mine the check valve is located about directly above the flush hose fitting - on the inside of the motorhome, near the outer wall and just below the counter top.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
I did have my check valve stick shut once. It blew the hose off the fitting when I tried to flush.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:37 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
You are talking about flushing out the black tank using the hose fitting at the macerator hose reel, and not valve that flushes the toilet itself - correct? Agree it seems odd that a backwards check valve would work many time then stop working. Seems instead that the check valve may have been installed correctly then got stuck in the closed position after a long period of non-use. On mine the check valve is located about directly above the flush hose fitting - on the inside of the motorhome, near the outer wall and just below the counter top.

Titus, first I hope you are doing well. Thank you for your response. Yes, the flush value on the exterior that is on the same panel as the macerator.

Using your verbal diagram, the macerator panel which included the flush intake is on the bathroom side not the counter top. Thoughts on getting to it to see if it is stuck.

Thank you for reaching out.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
My model is not an Interstate, but my tank flush check valve sits high and directly above the San-T-Flush. In my case, behind the fridge (I have the small 3.1cf Novacool). I can access it by removing the four screws that hold in the microwave that sits directly above the fridge.

Glad to hear you are feeling better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6914.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	339877  
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Our Interstate must be different from yours. The bathroom on ours is on the curb side. From the fitting by the macerator the pipe goes up along the inside wall and the check valve is just below the counter. Then after the check valve the pipe goes back down and passes under the floor over to the black tank, which is beneath the toilet. The check valve has to be at a point higher than the black tank. Hopefully the check valve is not between the shower stall and the wall of the van. Our interstate has an access port below the bathroom sink - perhaps you would find the check valve in that area. We also have an access panel in the wall at the rear of the bathroom. Good luck in your search.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:19 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Thank you again for responding. I called Airstream and they had me call the local dealer. Now the real issues happen. The consensus is it is a faulty valve. Telephone tag time with the Dealers Service Department.

I feel lucky the only real issue I have had in over a year is this valve. A credit to Airstream Interstates. Thanks again.

Quote:
Our Interstate must be different from yours. The bathroom on ours is on the curb side. From the fitting by the macerator the pipe goes up along the inside wall and the check valve is just below the counter. Then after the check valve the pipe goes back down and passes under the floor over to the black tank, which is beneath the toilet. The check valve has to be at a point higher than the black tank. Hopefully the check valve is not between the shower stall and the wall of the van. Our interstate has an access port below the bathroom sink - perhaps you would find the check valve in that area. We also have an access panel in the wall at the rear of the bathroom. Good luck in your search.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:22 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Thank you for your feedback. The valve for this issue should be right behind the macerator panel on the drivers side exterior. Really small space. I will play with the solution for a while. Airstream just wants me to go to a dealer which is always my last resort. Thank you again for your assistance.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
My model is not an Interstate, but my tank flush check valve sits high and directly above the San-T-Flush. In my case, behind the fridge (I have the small 3.1cf Novacool). I can access it by removing the four screws that hold in the microwave that sits directly above the fridge.

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
I mentioned earlier that my valve stuck on my 2013 AI Lounge Ext.....what I failed to mention is that when the flow finally broke loose through the valve, it had exploded. I sprayed the back of the microwave before I realized what had happened.
I subsequently removed the microwave, let it air dry for a couple of weeks, replaced the valve and reinstalled the now dried out microwave. All has been well since that episode....three years ago.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:50 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
The valve on mine had been installed backwards (picture). I had to remove the freezer to gain access to the valve. It has been several years but I think the door on the freezer had to be removed and this still only allowed about 1 inch of clearance in the aisle to move it out of the way.
The check valve is the gray colored one under the mounting strap. The bronze valve is a vacuum breaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160712_084710 (1).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	340109  
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote