Old 02-11-2016, 08:48 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
How did you go about finding someone to make these? When we brought our Interstate, the floor mats had been removed so we only have the rubberized base exposed. Do you think this company would make another set and ship?

Thanks,
Katy

Old 02-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
How did you go about finding someone to make these? When we brought our Interstate, the floor mats had been removed so we only have the rubberized base exposed. Do you think this company would make another set and ship?

Thanks,
Katy
Hi Bugs / Katy. I used a Mom 'n' Pop called 5 Star Upholstery in League City Texas. They specialize in classic car restorations but with the crude oil price downturn (this being greater Houston which has been strongly impacted), I think they branched out to do more not-so-classic cars as the luxury market contracted. My husband has a classic car and he knew them reputationally from his work in years past, so I went to them.

If you want this type of work done, my main recommendation is that you have to get someone who specializes in performing exactly this function. They have the materials, they know the procedures, they have the skills and they have the heavy duty binding machines.

If you were instead seeking soft and thin semi-fitted un-molded carpet segments for your Interstate (which is what Airstream originally sold it with), that would be a different story and you could probably get that done many places. Originally I was leaning toward doing that kind of job as a DIY project - getting some off-the-shelf thin flexible carpet and binding the edges with my own sewing machine. In that case mostly you'd just need the template and I could loan you my OEM carpet pieces to use as a go-by.

However I changed my mind because the thin stuff as it existed was not performing well. The rubber backing had disintegrated and crumbled off. But more importantly it was so thin and soft that I kept hooking my foot in it and tearing it loose when I climbed into the driver's seat. That's why T1N Interstate owners tend to remove it, and that's probably why you got an Interstate without it. I was afraid I would spend a lot of time DIYing a solution that would prove to be a very similar pain in the butt. So I decided to go for the professional job.

The molded carpet is not suitable for shipping because they have to install their invisible connectors in the floor of your Interstate in order to attach the carpet (it is removable but the base of the connectors gets embedded in the existing vinyl layer that covers the cab floor). I had to leave my Interstate there at their shop for them to do the work.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post
Our 2016 came with black carpet which shows every speck. ....
I agree emphatically that you don't want to choose a product that shows dirt. And black would be just about the worst possible choice.

The description of mine on the internet is "Bayshore II 5850 Metallic Grey Marine Carpet, Cut Pile, Marine". It's got a variable sheen to it depending on which way the pile is pushed, and I knew it would not be horrible for showing lint and specks.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:50 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
We used the Carpet Workroom in Knoxville, TN. www.carpetworkroomknoxville.com. They have the binding machines just for this kind of job.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
(1) My first blog post on the carpet install:
http://www.interstateblog.blogspot.c...airstream.html

(2) As I mentioned above, I want to complete this project by putting a waterproof mat(s) on top of the newly-installed carpet (I'm leaning toward 1-piece but haven't settled on it yet). In theory, this should be an easier task, because mat(s) don't have to have tight tolerances where fitting is concerned. They just have to sit more-or-less in the "valleys" of the contoured floor pan where feet make the most contact with the floor.

After doing additional research this morning, I would say that, if you have an NCV3, this question appears to be a no-brainer. Go with WeatherTech. They seem to have done a superb job of developing their product.

If you have a T1N, that's a different story. I don't see how the WeatherTech could be adapted even with the skilled use of an X-Acto knife. Some of the issue is the front console which in the T1N has a cup holder that juts out. It's a different shape.

Anyway, for the sake of amusement, I thought I'd post this thumbnail collage of mats that I found for sale specifically for the 2002-2006 Sprinter. All very different but several of them saying "guaranteed to fit". No wonder there is grumbling about this on Sprinter Forum. I have a feeling that I will be templating the floor myself and ordering a custom cut, if I can find a vendor who will make a mat using a product that I like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160213_T1N_MAT_COLLAGE.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	257228  
Old 02-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #34
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Anyway, for the sake of amusement, I thought I'd post this thumbnail collage of mats that I found for sale specifically for the 2002-2006 Sprinter. All very different but several of them saying "guaranteed to fit". No wonder there is grumbling about this on Sprinter Forum. I have a feeling that I will be templating the floor myself and ordering a custom cut, if I can find a vendor who will make a mat using a product that I like.
Second one down on the left looks at first glance like a match for my 2012 Interstate (2011 Sprinter 3500) front mat.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Second one down on the left looks at first glance like a match for my 2012 Interstate (2011 Sprinter 3500) front mat.
Generic thumbnails are part of the ordering problem that has tripped up numerous T1N owners (as suggested on Sprinter Forum). That vendor shows the same thumbnail for T1N and NCV3 so it's basically impossible to judge fit by presentation alone.

So I contacted that particular vendor for clarification and was told that the product could not be placed on carpet. I said why? The photo looks like RubberTite which is specifically designed to be placed over automotive carpet - I know this because I already have RubberTite in my daily driver. No response yet, but I suspect that the thumbnail may be misleading in both respects - shape AND substance. Which makes this basically an impossible ordering task.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I've stalled out for the moment on getting a waterproof topper for our new cab carpet. For ten bucks I bought generic PVC floor mats to put on there as temporary protection. They are the predictable pain in the rear end, slipping and sliding and bunching up everywhere.

Meanwhile, I'm fixated on the foot wells. While shopping for floor mats, I noticed that one of the Sprinter stores sells foot well carpeting inserts as a dirt control measure. I think Astroturf might work better. What makes it viable is that it comes in gray now, not just the original green.

I'm less certain how best to affix it, however. In the first attempt, I'm trying heavy duty 2 inch adhesive Velcro. It's really important that it not come loose from the foot wells, because someone could end up landing on their tail bone if that happens - it would be a scenario much like stepping on a banana peel.

This might not be a priority for many folks, but we tend to get really, really dirty hiking off trail and whatnot (attached pic as confirmation). Some of it can be controlled by changing shoes before going inside the Interstate, but if it's pack-up departure time and we are running in and out, or if it is pouring down rain, a lot of dirt tends to get dragged inside regardless. If I could scrape off my feet in the foot wells, especially at the sliding door, that would be of some help in controlling it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160222_ASTROTURF.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	257687  
Old 02-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #37
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
I'm less certain how best to affix it, however. In the first attempt, I'm trying heavy duty 2 inch adhesive Velcro. It's really important that it not come loose from the foot wells, because someone could end up landing on their tail bone if that happens - it would be a scenario much like stepping on a banana peel.
Command Adhesive (now 3MTekk) rug anchors. http://www.amazon.com/3M-Tekk-Protec.../dp/B006P5Q4R2

I haven't actually used it for a rug, but this is what I use to keep my cutting board from slipping off the galley countertop while in transit.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:31 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Closing the loop on this effort, and this follow-up post is for the benefit of T1N owners. I think it was a near-consensus that if you have an NCV3, your best bet is WeatherTech. But WeatherTech is not available to the rest of us, and to make a long story short, IF an owner does what I did and has custom carpet installed in the cab, THEN the only reasonably attainable weatherproof overlay solution is to order the small individual stock mats that sit in front of each bucket seat, the ones that were templated for the 2001-2006 Sprinter vintage.

There is not a one-piece cab mat on the market that is suitable for the T1N Interstate, nor can one be successfully created using available materials, to make a custom one-piece mat (I would love to be proven wrong on this BTW). Or if some material COULD be adapted, it's far more expensive than I was willing to get into. The bulk of the investment is more sensibly made in the carpet, not the mat overlay.

Here is what the two individual Rubbertite stock mats look like, and if anyone would like further detail on why a custom solution cannot be realized in this situation, I wrote a blog post about it.

REPLACING THE CAB FLOORING IN AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE, PART 2: WEATHER MAT OVERLAY
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160705_RUBBERTITE_PAIR.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	266089  
Old 07-06-2016, 07:58 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Thanks IB. I was looking for something to put on top of the carpet mat around the front seats in my Interstate. These Lloyd Mats look perfect. I just ordered a pair of protector floor mats since my driver's side carpet is showing significant wear after 70,000 miles in the driver's seat.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:14 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Closing the loop on this effort, and this follow-up post is for the benefit of T1N owners. I think it was a near-consensus that if you have an NCV3, your best bet is WeatherTech. But WeatherTech is not available to the rest of us, and to make a long story short, IF an owner does what I did and has custom carpet installed in the cab, THEN the only reasonably attainable weatherproof overlay solution is to order the small individual stock mats that sit in front of each bucket seat, the ones that were templated for the 2001-2006 Sprinter vintage.

There is not a one-piece cab mat on the market that is suitable for the T1N Interstate, nor can one be successfully created using available materials, to make a custom one-piece mat (I would love to be proven wrong on this BTW). Or if some material COULD be adapted, it's far more expensive than I was willing to get into. The bulk of the investment is more sensibly made in the carpet, not the mat overlay.

Here is what the two individual Rubbertite stock mats look like, and if anyone would like further detail on why a custom solution cannot be realized in this situation, I wrote a blog post about it.

REPLACING THE CAB FLOORING IN AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE, PART 2: WEATHER MAT OVERLAY
Mine has these rubber fitted mats under the one piece gray carpet. Seems backward as I like to have waterproof ones on top, than the other way around.

Discovered this as I went on a mission to find the battery.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Mine has these rubber fitted mats under the one piece gray carpet. Seems backward as I like to have waterproof ones on top, than the other way around.

That rubber fitted mat under the Airstream provided carpet mat is actually the stock Sprinter floor from Mercedes.

Now I'm going to add a Lloyd protective mat on top of the carpet to minimize the wear on the carpet, especially in front of the driver's seat.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

That's a bit bizarre, although I could see Airstream leaving the Sprinter mats in place if there were electrical components under that section of floor. Spill a Coke and it might be game over if a barrier were not in place.