Old 08-21-2015, 03:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Floor Mats?

For what it's worth, ours came with a tan cab carpet and it gets dirty very easily to the point we've decided to leave it at home.
Our Touareg has tan WeatherTech mats which were quite expensive; they fit well and hold the dirt but they show up scuffs and shoe marks which are hard to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
Hi Interblog,

I would be interested in a carpet for the front also. Ours was missing when we bought the Interstate. Mine was a 2 piece snap in set (best i can tell).

Thanks,
Bugs
Hi, Bugs. Your vehicle was probably born with the set seen on the right in the photo I have linked here (uploading is failing right now), which is the pair of pieces with snaps.

https://imgur.com/YbP27xH

I had posted this comparison in a previous thread to dispel any notion that these pieces could be bought off the shelf from any source. Even un-modified T1N Sprinter owners are not able to get their carpets matched reliably. Forget about Interstate owners. Maybe the owners of newer rigs can get them, but not us.

I heard back from the carpet guy in Tennessee. He quoted me $200 to cut and bind the two pieces, but he doesn't sell carpet. Therefore I'd have to get him the carpet of my choosing.

In our case, the rubber backing on the original carpet is disintegrating and making a mess. Furthermore, the carpet Airstream used is much thinner than I'd like it to be, and thus doesn't provide much cab noise dampening or floor insulation. My intention is to replace it with better quality stuff.

I had temporarily stood down on this effort because 20,000 cars flooded in Houston in May of this year. It was impossible to get auto detailers and the like on the phone as they were swamped (pun intended) with work. I think what I'm going to do is try again now that some time has passed, and see what makers in the Houston area could do as compared to the guy in Tennessee. I'd prefer someone local... one of my concerns is that if I go too thick on the carpet, the snaps might not hold properly. So it would be best if I could talk to a fabber who knows what they are doing on issues like this.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:22 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
one of my concerns is that if I go too thick on the carpet, the snaps might not hold properly. So it would be best if I could talk to a fabber who knows what they are doing on issues like this.
Velcro is your friend. You don't need snaps if you have Velcro, unless you're a purist who needs to have everything exactly the way it was.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:22 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Thanks IB

Picture is very helpful
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:32 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seguin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter: Accessories

Click on "Care and Protection". (I don't know what your dealers' problem is). I don't have any, but I'm told the OEM ones are cheaper than WeatherTech and fit better.

Update: got the right person at the Parts Desk in closest MB dealership and she said "oh yeah we have those what's yer VIN#.....?"

Picking them up when we drive by next week heading to CA.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Laidback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Velcro is your friend. You don't need snaps if you have Velcro, unless you're a purist who needs to have everything exactly the way it was.
Good point. I'm not a purist, but Airstream already mounted the snap backs into the floor so they will be lumpy unless I install the corresponding snap fronts (I don't want to rip them out entirely... at least, not yet). What I might end up doing is having the carpet-maker add the snaps and then perhaps I might reinforce the assembly with Velcro to account for the heavier carpet.

One of the recent T1N Interstate sellers was a northern guy who was also a boondocker (brrrr!). Instead of replacing his original snap-in carpet, he had fabbed another piece and used it as an overlay. That might have helped him with his thermal challenges, but his Interstate was starting to take on a Westfalia beater van vibe that didn't appeal to me much.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I finally took the plunge and went full custom, new carpet molded to the cab floor of the T1N Sprinter, stiff composite rubber backing, hidden fasteners, the works.

I'm very pleased with the results, and I bloody well should be for the $450 that it cost. I look at it this way - that's a big chunk less Dynamat that we're going to have to buy (and Dynamat is expensive). I haven't held up my sound meter and quantified it, but I can already tell that the ride is now quieter, which we needed.

If anyone wants details on the installation, let me know.

Next issue is that I have to have something mat-like and waterproof to at least partially cover it for normal wear and tear, mud, etc. Haven't had time to research that part yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160210_CARPET1.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	257119   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160210_CARPET2.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	257120  

Old 02-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Looks nice! How did they mold it to your floor pan?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
We've had the black Weathertech mats for a few months. Very happy with them. Fit is excellent and much easier to clean than carpet was. Looking forward to the next coffee spill.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I have the MB one piece in my 2013 Unity. I prefer it over some of the aftermarket mats.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:14 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
We've had the black Weathertech mats for a few months. Very happy with them. Fit is excellent and much easier to clean than carpet was. Looking forward to the next coffee spill.
+1 on the Weathertechs. They will hold a normal size of coffee and clean up easily.
Road Jager
Old 02-11-2016, 05:01 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Looks nice! How did they mold it to your floor pan?
An excellent question. Unfortunately I had to work yesterday so I showed up right at close of business and didn't get a chance to talk to the installer. It might have been heat molding. There is a strong smell of a high-VOC adhesive that holds the stiff backing to the carpet. After that has a few days to cure, I might unsnap it and take a look.

The carpet itself is a marine carpet. I decided to go this route when I saw the color, which is the perfect gray for the interior.

I got over my sticker shock as soon as we took it on the freeway last night. The noise reduction is substantial. It was the right way to go.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:18 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
+1 on the Weathertechs. They will hold a normal size of coffee and clean up easily.
Road Jager
I'd like to see a pic if anyone has one.

Sprinter Forum says Weathertechs don't fit T1N's. I went through the Weathertech pick-list and what they suggest for the T1N is just generic rectangular mats. Which might be OK now that I've actually got fixed carpeting for the little backing nubs to grip into, but a semi-fitted option might work better.

A product I really like is Lloyd RubberTite. I have one of their fitted cargo liners for my daily driver minivan, and it is awesome. According to their website, I should be able to go to AutoZone (one of their distributors) and see about getting a fitting. If that could somehow be templated to just rest within the carpeted "valleys" of the floor pan, I would go for that.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:43 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Our 2016 came with black carpet which shows every speck. The first thing we did was go to a local carpet store and pick out a complimentary (to the floor) brown multi-color "blend" and purchased enough of a piece to make not only the front cab carpeting but also two narrow runners - one for the kitchen area and one to run between the twin beds. We took the new carpet and the carpet that came with the van to use as a template to a shop where the owner cut out the pieces and bound the edges. Perfect! And, someday when that wears down we'll do the same thing all over again.

WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote