Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2019, 09:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Farmingdale , New York
Fixing the 2.5 lp onan once and for all + preventative stuff

All fixed and running like a champ in 95+ hot and humid days
(my 2012 interstate lounge generator always had intermittent problems like shutting off out of nowhere, not starting, running crappy, only working while switch is held etc.)
So what I did with my mechanic friend after reading countless threads from the airforum :

1) controller replaced (flightsystems)
2) air filter replaced
3) spark plug replaced
4) oil replaced
5) voltage regulator replaced (flightsystems)
6) exhaust clamp replaced (rusted)
7) oil level sensor disconnected
8) gave it a little wack here and there with my flathead screw driver

I believe it was the oil level sensor after all but changed the common problem parts since we were pulling the gen set anyways. total time was less than an hour since i ordered all the parts in advanced and went in and out of my friends shop . just had to share the happiness! thanks for all the help and reading
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190719_170215.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	348264   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190719_173422.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	348265  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190719_170211.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	348266  
djjoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I see that you raised the vehicle or easier access to the generator. Appears that you then removed (pulled) the generator. Did you have to pull the generator to do some of the work, or just choose to? Did the total time include R&R of the generator, or just the parts replacements?

Did you find a small (5A?) fuse somewhere in the control wiring? I recall reading about one, but have not found one.

What was the cost of the controller and voltage regulator, and which of the symptoms led you to think that these may be the problem? Does 'flightsytems' mean it was a different brand than the original?

How many hours on your generator? Mine has not (yet?) started acting screwy (40 hours) , but I want to be prepared.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:28 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Great write up! You may want to consider one more thing.

My generator was acting up just like yours. It ended up being the LP regulator. While allowing the water heater and range to operate normally, the generator sometimes would start and run normally, or start and then shut off, or not start at all. I swapped out the regulator and it has been operating normally ever since.
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Farmingdale , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I see that you raised the vehicle or easier access to the generator. Appears that you then removed (pulled) the generator. Did you have to pull the generator to do some of the work, or just choose to? Did the total time include R&R of the generator, or just the parts replacements?

Did you find a small (5A?) fuse somewhere in the control wiring? I recall reading about one, but have not found one.

What was the cost of the controller and voltage regulator, and which of the symptoms led you to think that these may be the problem? Does 'flightsytems' mean it was a different brand than the original?

How many hours on your generator? Mine has not (yet?) started acting screwy (40 hours) , but I want to be prepared.
Yes we had to pull the gen set to access the oil level sensor. I read numerous times that the oil level sensor fails and trigger the shut off switch.
I dont recall finding the 5amp fuse but theres a breaker for the 115v, attached to the controller.
Flightsystem is a aftermarket brand that makes improved versions of the parts. Cost was under 400 for both controller n the v reg. 245 for the reg, 120 for the controller i believe.
I have 180hr on the gen set and total time of installation was including the removal and reinstalling the gen. Installing the parts took less than 10 mins. It had 4 screws on the sides and 3 at the back for pulling the gen set.
Hope this helps!
Old 08-02-2019, 07:41 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Farmingdale , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwils25 View Post
Great write up! You may want to consider one more thing.

My generator was acting up just like yours. It ended up being the LP regulator. While allowing the water heater and range to operate normally, the generator sometimes would start and run normally, or start and then shut off, or not start at all. I swapped out the regulator and it has been operating normally ever since.
Thank you for the tip!
We believe #8 took care of the possible lp regulator fault!
If it acts up again, there could be only 1 prob left. Thank you!
Old 09-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I suspect that my oil sensor level is bad too. I have tried all the fixes that I can do with the generator set in place. Gennie still starts fine and then shut off after 15 min or so. Won't restart right away, needs to cool off a bit first. I am working on ramps - don't know it I could safely drop the generator, say using a floor jack. I wonder if anyone has tried this?
jgeurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeurin View Post
I suspect that my oil sensor level is bad too. I have tried all the fixes that I can do with the generator set in place. Gennie still starts fine and then shut off after 15 min or so. Won't restart right away, needs to cool off a bit first. I am working on ramps - don't know it I could safely drop the generator, say using a floor jack. I wonder if anyone has tried this?
I used a motorcycle jack... Like this one:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-l...ift-63397.html
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:49 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thanks Wachuko, for the advice both here and elsewhere!

I had already replaced the van's lp pressure regulator and monkeyed around with various levels of oil fill. When this failed to fix the problem, I took Wachuko's advice and picked up a motorcycle jack so I could drop the generator. The first thing I tried was disconnecting the oil level sensor. This didn't fix the problem (generator would run fine for 5 or 10 minutes under load, then would stop until a cool-off period had elapsed, then it would start up again).

I next decided to follow djjoonie's lead and ordered both the control board and the voltage regulator from Flight Systems, though based on the symptoms, I suspect that the control board was the problem all along. When the parts came in the mail, I once again put the van up on ramps and dropped the generator for easier access, and installed the 2 new components. Now the generator works flawlessly.

If anyone else is having a similar problem, feel free to message me, and I can share what I have learned by working on this project.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:39 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post

Titus. I see that most of your questions were answered. An update: prices were $255 for the voltage regulator and $179 for the controller. I did find the 5 amp fuse when I removed the control board. There is a slot right next to the circuit breaker in the bracket onto which the control board is mounted that looks like it should hold the fuse socket, but the fuse and its socket were free floating behind the control board. You can reach around behind it and fish it out if you need to get to it. When I reassembled everything I tried to snap the fuse holder back into that slot, but the angle of the control board mounting on the bracket was such that it obstructed access to that slot. I finally gave up and just let it float free like it was when I found it.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Thanks. I will see if I can find mind and get one for a spare.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote