Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2014, 05:56 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
The Alu wheels are Airstream standard and only the inside on the dully as well as the spare are steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:07 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
My AI had steel wheels standard and was not a dually. Sorry for the mixup. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:08 AM   #43
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
The Alu wheels are Airstream standard and only the inside on the dully as well as the spare are steel.
But now we have to wonder, will the steel spare fit in place of an aluminum front wheel or outer dually using the same lug nuts? Or should we all be looking for separate lug nuts to fit the steel spare?
Old 09-25-2014, 06:10 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Good question! Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Yes that is a good one never sought about it.
Theoretically they should as it centers on the hub and not from the nuts.
I will look today as I want to change to locknuts anyhow. The chrome covers good destroyed by the "skilled" tire techs.
Somewhere I as some posts about locknuts.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
The steel wheeled spare tire will fit any wheel position with the same lug nuts on Interstates based on 3500 Sprinters. Only the older 2500 Sprinter based Interstates with single rear wheel and alloy wheels require separate lug bolts for steel wheels.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
32k miles and needed new front tires. I got lucky even so the tech working on my wheels was neither skilled or motivated. I could watch through the window at Discount tire.
Just finished the 30k service and they send me out with unsafe tires. My sprinter service seems not too good eitherAttachment 222823Attachment 222824

Did you have your front end aligned? I noticed you're in Illinois, should you ever pass through Springfield MO. there's a fantastic shop (Crump trucks) Crump Truck & Trailer Works here . I've had them do my suspension work and front end alignment. They even made a cut and re-welded to adjust the camber, I provided the kit from Upscale for the caster adjustment. They also service many of the fleet sprinters and ambulances. My point is when it leaves there it will be done right. I have put on 10,000 miles since and no uneven wear.
Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff64 View Post
Did you have your front end aligned? I noticed you're in Illinois, should you ever pass through Springfield MO. there's a fantastic shop (Crump trucks) Crump Truck & Trailer Works here . I've had them do my suspension work and front end alignment. They even made a cut and re-welded to adjust the camber, I provided the kit from Upscale for the caster adjustment. They also service many of the fleet sprinters and ambulances. My point is when it leaves there it will be done right. I have put on 10,000 miles since and no uneven wear.

Cut and re-weld to adjust camber??!!

Yikes! - that is not necessary. You have now probably damaged your front suspension and possibly compromised the designed safety of your Sprinter.

There is just a different bolt needed to adjust camber on Sprinter front end. I had mine done by Sun Motors in Mechanicburg, PA. They are one of the best Sprinter dealers in the USA. The proper bolts were $15.

My original front tires also showed uneven wear after 30,000 miles. I had new tires installed and a proper front end alignment done. After 15,000 miles no uneven wear.

Hope this helps others who need a proper alignment.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter
Old 09-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Yes MB installed special bolts and realigned it.
Had problems because not the MB steel wheels broke my TPM.
Only charged me half to realign after letting me go with unsafe tires during the 30k B service.
Just send a email telling them my disappointment and wonder why should I have been charged in the first place as I reported to uneven wear at 10k and the install different bolts the align the chamber for free.
Now they want to make it up top me to keep me as a customer.
Not sure if I go back there as 2 issues in the row are little disconcerting.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
32k miles and needed new front tires. I got lucky even so the tech working on my wheels was neither skilled or motivated. I could watch through the window at Discount tire.
Just finished the 30k service and they send me out with unsafe tires. My sprinter service seems not too good eitherAttachment 222823Attachment 222824

This type of wear has been discussed on other forums. Seems to be limited to the Airstreams which leads me to believe that the standard Sprinter settings are not valid due to the extra weight added by the conversion. That's why I asked to have my camber set to the most vertical setting within the tolerance. Wished I had brought the extra camber bolts as there was more spec to go.

My theory is that the extra weight causes the front to ride slightly higher which makes the tire lean outwards. My fronts were wearing the outer rib more than the rest of the tire. I guess I'll see in about 5K miles.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
This type of wear has been discussed on other forums. Seems to be limited to the Airstreams which leads me to believe that the standard Sprinter settings are not valid due to the extra weight added by the conversion. That's why I asked to have my camber set to the most vertical setting within the tolerance. Wished I had brought the extra camber bolts as there was more spec to go.

My theory is that the extra weight causes the front to ride slightly higher which makes the tire lean outwards. My fronts were wearing the outer rib more than the rest of the tire. I guess I'll see in about 5K miles.
Yes weight makes a difference on the alignment. My dealer asked me to bring it in as close to normal driving weight for my alignment.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
There was a post a year or so ago regarding alignment specs. The poster recommended that the AI be aligned to zero degree camber instead of the positive 1.0 to 1.5 recommended by Mercedes. My AI started to have the same tire wear as above at 10k miles, so my dealer realigned it to the above spec under warranty (I had to say that the front end was pulling to one side for it to be covered). My AI now has 15k miles, and the uneven tire wear does not look like it has gotten worse.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
This is probably the reason I've had a couple of frights entering a corner that was sharper than expected and wondered what happened to the grip on the front tires. Fully loaded it feels the rear has much more grip than the front.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
This is probably the reason I've had a couple of frights entering a corner that was sharper than expected and wondered what happened to the grip on the front tires. Fully loaded it feels the rear has much more grip than the front.
That's called understeer which is designed in most passenger non-sporty vehicles because it's safer than having the rear end from trying to lead the way. (oversteer)

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Cut and re-weld to adjust camber??!!

Yikes! - that is not necessary. You have now probably damaged your front suspension and possibly compromised the designed safety of your Sprinter.

There is just a different bolt needed to adjust camber on Sprinter front end. I had mine done by Sun Motors in Mechanicburg, PA. They are one of the best Sprinter dealers in the USA. The proper bolts were $15.

My original front tires also showed uneven wear after 30,000 miles. I had new tires installed and a proper front end alignment done. After 15,000 miles no uneven wear.

Hope this helps others who need a proper alignment.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter
I could be mistaken as to what they actually did but he did say they cut and re-welded for an adjustment, I don't want to cast doubt on them due to not knowing the details. What ever it was it doesn't concern me as I trust their ability and reputation. I'm happy to have it driving the way it should and not wearing out tires.
Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote