Old 01-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Land Yacht
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
Bend , Oregon
Firefly System Inoperative - Any ideas (long shot)

Hola ~

Our Firefly System isn’t functioning correctly, and our dealer is a 7 hour r/t drive from us.

Would be great to hear if anyone has experienced similar issues, and perhaps share solution which brought the Firefly online. (long shot most likely)

Symptoms:

Near zero functionality of keypads

No interior / exterior lights

No heat

No tank pads

No awning extend retract

Etc.

What does work:

Panels are all lit up white (rather than blue) , so they’re receiving some power.

The blinds all work from main panel

“tank level indicators” above & behind drivers seat displayed on main panel work

Actions taken:

Reset system multiple times

Plugged into shore power - same issue

Called Firefly tech support

Firefly tech support feels the system is not installed correctly - and that’s all we’ve accomplished in terms of troubleshooting so far.

When you go to main panel, hit the gear wheel button on bottom right of panel you’ll see two serial # software updates. Ours reading left to right reads 4.6 and the second reads - - - -

Firefly suggests this is indicative of a problem related to install.

Next step:

Pulled the main display panel and there is a pigtail connection with colored wires on both connected ends which are consistent with what Firefly tech support describes as proper.

I’m hoping for some brilliant and simple reboot solution which I can accomplish myself. But so far a dealer visit on January 24th is the earliest service date it appears. That means a scrubbed mission heading North to Banff.

Many thanks in advance if you have a solution / field fix for this.

Previous 9 pass Interstate's owned:
2014.5, 2015, 2016, 2017 (4x4)
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Land Yacht
Bend , Oregon
Firefly Tech Support Feedback

It appears as though the “Logic Configuration File” is absent any software since the blinds and sea monitor of the tank levels is functioning correctly

Firefly is FEDEXing out a new logic board (firmware) suggesting it would have been loaded properly when product shipped to AS for install in the coach. So somewhere along the way it disappeared from the G7 controller...

Firefly has been professional and responsive to getting us on the road this week. We hope this fix works, and our experience has been helpful if someone else encounters a similar problem.

(10-4 on “first world problems) We completely expect this stuff ... mortality and bugs, glitches and learning curves with every delivery.

For reference:

Firefly’s Tech Support # 547.825.4600 (Indiana) as provided by AS Jackson Center.

Hoping this helps anyone with Firefly tech issues moving forward.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Feels lame that AS bounced you to FF tech support instead of doing whatever it takes to make you happy ASAP. However, if this approach produces timely results, that's great! Best wishes for a quick and relatively painless resolution.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
ScottP,
I have an appointment with the same (Portland) AS dealer on Jan15, which I reserved in November. If it is of any help, I can arrange to switch appointments with you so you can get your issue(s) dealt with. You can PM me if you like.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 01-02-2018, 05:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Land Yacht
Bend , Oregon
Awe - that’s super gracious of you, and I appreciate it very much.

With the Fedex arriving Thursday from Firefly, I’m hopeful we can swap out the main panel and be good-to-go! (I’m an optimist)

Thank you again for your kind offer.

PS - isn’t Lora the service manager great?!!

Old 01-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Land Yacht
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Feels lame that AS bounced you to FF tech support instead of doing whatever it takes to make you happy ASAP. However, if this approach produces timely results, that's great! Best wishes for a quick and relatively painless resolution.

Thanks

Yeah, it’s kinda SOP, we’ve learned. We wrestled with Fiamma service tech support (awning) a couple vans ago. In the end, AS stepped up and “bridged the gap” (of inadequate service from Fiamma) and supported us fully.

We love AS, but in many ways their customer support, customer communication and creation of community are lacking substantially. Kind of a product or their strong sales growth and lack of cross-pollination with staff from more progressive industries.

So much more could be done to enhance customer satisfaction and improve brand loyalty.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

College Station , Texas
We had some issues with our Firefly system also. Our versions didn't match and Firefly sent out a patch to us that when installed fixed our problems. They and AS were very responsive! (unlike the dealer)
Old 01-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Land Yacht
Bend , Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time RV View Post
We had some issues with our Firefly system also. Our versions didn't match and Firefly sent out a patch to us that when installed fixed our problems. They and AS were very responsive! (unlike the dealer)

We canceled our trip to Banff this week as we chase gremlins and tighten up our new coach.

On Jan 5th we received the patch from Firefly - the firmware upgrade - but are still unable to achieve any system functionality

For those with the Firefly system, here’s the process for upgrading the software

You’ll receive a small circuit board with four lights and four corresponding buttons below the lights.

You’ll be instructed to plug male cable (extending from the small circuit board) into the G7 panel located passenger side rear jump seat.(first photo below)

Light starts out white, you push button and the it turns green (successful) and you move to your second (B) button and repeat. If you have a network failure, then it turns blue.

We are still “dead in the water” so-to-speak ... without any functionality aft of the driver and co- pilot seats. No heat, no lights, no fridge, nothing - except for electric blinds.

Both Firefly and AS don’t have a solution for us yet.

Hopefully one of them will have an epiphany by this Monday. We have 14 hr pre-Olympic Nordic Ski qualifier Jan 12th ... and we are committed as the transport for the coaches.

Firefly

So if you ever need to upgrade your Firefly software, here’s photos the process (unsuccessful of course)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7097.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	576.1 KB
ID:	301974

Name:	IMG_7114.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	585.1 KB
ID:	301975Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7117.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	766.1 KB
ID:	301976Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7118.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	301977Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7119.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	301978

Old 01-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Miramar Beach , Florida
FireFox is part of a much bigger company that specializes in high-end home theatre and how automation. It also provides high end RV/Coach buses like Entegra with an updated version call "VegasTouch". If the part does not correct your issue, then ask FireFox or Airstream Tech support for a local dealer (Not RV) that can assist. I learned this lesson on other AirStream appliances. Not sure if this will work but if it does, it eliminates that very long DRIVE.

Gary T.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Ah, I had no idea they were the same Firefly company that is in home automation! So thanks for that info Gary.

Looking at the pictures, the OMRON automotive relays they use are rated at max voltage of 14 volts. That would cause an issue for upgrading to Lithium if you allow the charge limit to be higher than 14 volt as I have done. There is a 16 volt revision of that relay which I wish they had used.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:07 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Land Yacht
Bend , Oregon
Thanks folks

(lithium good to know)

I heard from the FireFly tech this morning. I believe they are sending out a new G7 board - for field install.

Will update

Thanks

Old 01-07-2018, 05:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Scott, is there a seperate fuse box anymore? That Firefox board seems to be a replacement for it (from size).
Old 01-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Land Yacht
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Scott, is there a seperate fuse box anymore? That Firefox board seems to be a replacement for it (from size).

Hi

I don’t think so (fuse box).

Today, after troubleshooting with FireFox, we determined the G7 board has failed. I’m paying for them to FEDEX a new board out today.

Hopefully I will live through the night to accept delivery - fighting horrible case of the flu. #getFluShotNextYear

Whimper

Old 01-12-2018, 08:30 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Land Yacht
Bend , Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
Hi

I don’t think so (fuse box).

Today, after troubleshooting with FireFox, we determined the G7 board has failed. I’m expecting to receive a FEDEX a new board shortly.

Hopefully I will live through the night to accept delivery - fighting horrible case of the flu. #getFluShotNextYear

Whimper

The danger of single point failure, is only matched by the beauty of a single point diagnosis and single point repair

Board arrived (G7, main circuit board) ...

Name:	IMG_7097.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	576.1 KB
ID:	302288

Replacement process:

Power off confirmed

1. Unplug everything fastened to board
2. Unfasten / unsnap & remove single G7 board
3. Snap in new board
4. Plug in all the patch cords (nice design, they can only get plugged into their correct slot

Turn the power back on

Voila!!!!!!!!

All functions working properly in the coach.

Firefly was responsive, as was Airstream flexible, allowing us to complete this field repair locally vs forcing a seven hour r/t to our servicing dealer for diagnosis and eventual repair.

Thank you to both