Old 06-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #15
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I'll just agree with the idea of carrying a fuel filter(s). Even you have no interest in changing it, just having it lessens the delay in getting going and assures that you're installing a filter brand of your choice. Not all filters are equal or readily available.

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
New Orleans , Louisiana
The blue sticker in the Mercedes pdf linked to above is everywhere in central IL, including two Murphy's I checked yesterday. I fueled at one in Matoon IL, after trying 3 other stations and calling a fourth. I didn't fuel yesterday at a BP station with the blue sticker and a 2nd sticker saying BP didn't produce and wouldn't warrant it (!). Today I fueled at another BP with no bio. Chicago seems to be less of an issue. And of course crossing the state E/W is less of an issue than N/S. Plan accordingly.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Beware at BP stations as they use green handles on the gasoline pumps. Not sure what color their diesel pump handles are. Maybe yellow.

Anyone know if biodiesel has a positive energy balance? IOW it takes less energy to produce than you get back using it. Unlike ethanol where it's a break-even proposition at best and some say it's even negative.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The big 3 truck stops now all say there may be up to 20% bio-diesel and that applies to the pumps for the big rigs in back as well as the ones in front for smaller vehicles.

I was blind sided in Eugene, OR where a Chevron had 20% bio-diesel at one location and plain diesel at another location.

My 2012 Ram with Cummins explicitly states a maximum of 5% bio-diesel. My 2007 Mercedes diesel and my wife's 2009 Mercedes diesel are not rated for bio-diesel. The service chap says to avoid bio-diesel like the plague for these two motors.

With the 56 gallon fuel tank on the Ram (over 600 miles range), I can start looking for a proper fuel station before it becomes a challenge. The two Mercedes each have over a 600 mile range when on the highways.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:21 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Beware at BP stations as they use green handles on the gasoline pumps. Not sure what color their diesel pump handles are. Maybe yellow.

Anyone know if biodiesel has a positive energy balance? IOW it takes less energy to produce than you get back using it. Unlike ethanol where it's a break-even proposition at best and some say it's even negative.

I'm pretty sure Biodiesel has a positive energy balance. Think corn oil based product. It's just a waste of land though, that could be used for feeding people and the grease-recovery route is never going to provide a meaningful portion of transportation energy needs. One day, if the bioengineering was right, the highest biofuel yielding process farming would use algae for the feedstock oil. There is audis experimental process for making a diesel type fuel catalytically directly from CO2 and water, but my impression is that it an an energy prohibitive publicity stunt.

Not like fermenting corn for ethanol, which is negative or neutral as you say, plus wasting land.

My TV is a daily driver as well, so I'm not too worried about fuel in storage issues. Anything that could mess up the high pressure DI system scares me though !
Old 06-21-2015, 07:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When the Titan 56 gallon tank was installed to replace the stock tank, I added a Cummins water separator beside the tank, The line then went to the factory fuel filter/water separator on the side of the engine and then to a Cummins two micron fuel filter. Filters cost a lot less than the injectors! Since I have only one tank, the fuel is kept current where a secondary tank might be more of an issue.

I look for diesel at top tier fuel stations like Shell, or Chevron. I have every receipt for fuel since new. In the event of an issue, I have the records to substantiate where the load of "dirty" fuel came from.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:25 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
I'm pretty sure Biodiesel has a positive energy balance.
Nothing has a positive energy balance. That would be a violation of a basic law of thermodynamics, the law of entropy. You will never get as much energy out as the energy that went into making it.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:39 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Biodiesel is not the worry some make it out to be, IMO. Clean treated fuel has meant consistent results for whether at work or in my DODGE.
Biodiesel is mainly an issue for the Interstates with the BlueDEF system, at least according to what I remember reading in the owner's manual. If you use B20 or higher for too long you can expect a nastygram on the dashboard message center because of a failure of the exhaust treatment system.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:32 AM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I haven't seen higher than 20, though I don't travel the whole US. And let's note that the pump sticker indicates "up to 20" which means it may never actually be that high a mix.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #24
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Nothing has a positive energy balance. That would be a violation of a basic law of thermodynamics, the law of entropy. You will never get as much energy out as the energy that went into making it.

A variation or possibly the root source of hysteresis in mechanical things? 😏
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I guess that ends my search for the perpetual motion machine I've been working on.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I guess that ends my search for the perpetual motion machine I've been working on.
Actually no - I've seen some perpetually moving pendulums in several science museums.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:59 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Actually I think Protag is a perpetual fount of knowledge and really appreciate all his posts. I'll never be too old to learn.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:02 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Denver/Boulder , Colorado
new to diesel and new to MB/AI - what is pure diesel? and how will I know? thanks!