Old 03-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Fiamma Awning Wiring Issue

We have a 2014/13 Iinterstate extended body with the electric Fiamma awning. I was just made aware of a potential wiring problem which I verified today as NOT A PROBLEM with our unit.

Apparently when an Interstate is at the dealer for service or whatever they are directed to check to see if your awning can be opened/closed with the engine running and or the key in the run position. If so, there appears to be a need to have Airstream do some rewire.

So turn on your engine (or just the key to the RUN position) and check to see if you can open your awning. If so, I was advised to pull fuse #10 in the box under the driver seat until I could get it to a dealer for rewiring. There is/was a possibility that the awning somehow could open while driving down the road. Not a pleasant thought: half a wing sail open on one side: probably would want to take off in a circle. But since I do not have that wiring error, I can now feel at peace while driving.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Yeah, that could get real interesting if you were driving and already had a curbside cross wind.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Mine will not extend with the engine running. It will not retract with the engine running, either, which in my case is a good thing.

Now, here's a question… If your awning is already extended, does it retract automatically when you start the engine, the way the step does? Or is it just stuck in the "out" position until you shut off the engine and the motor awning works again, like my awning?

I have the Fiamma F65 awning, with manually deployable legs and a manually-inserted spring-loaded "rafter" in the center. If mine were to auto-retract before I folded up the legs and removed the rafter, it would do significant damage. So I'm glad mine won't auto-retract.

If you have the newer cantilevered (legless) F65 Eagle awning, then it auto-retracts anyway when it starts raining or the wind picks up or whatever (I forget what the trigger is); auto-retracting because you started the engine just saves you a step in breaking camp. As long as you haven't done something silly like hanging patio lights from it.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
BikerBill

Our 2014/13 Fiamma is the fully automatic model without legs. I was under the impression that all the 2014 Airstream builds went to the fully automatic model.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #5

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
Our 2014/13 Fiamma is the fully automatic model without legs. I was under the impression that all the 2014 Airstream builds went to the fully automatic model.
Not to mention the 2013 builds. Speaking of which I just went out and tested the Fiamma "fully automatic model without legs" on my 2013 AI.

With the engine ON
  • If the awning is extended there is a not too loud but very persistent beep beep. (The beeper is on Fuse 10 in the panel under the drivers seat.)
  • the awning can be retracted
  • the awning cannot be extended
  • the only auto-retract is triggered by the wind (movement) sensor at the rear of the extended awning panel.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
We have a 2014/13 Iinterstate extended body with the electric Fiamma awning. I was just made aware of a potential wiring problem which I verified today as NOT A PROBLEM with our unit.
Hello BikerBill, do you have an Airstream bulletin reference for this issue? My F65 legless Eagle DOES extend with the engine running and my dealer isn't aware of the problem.
Thanks, Peter
Old 03-27-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
BikerBill

The factory said they would not send me the bulletin but that a dealer can check it as I described. It I believe only pertains to the Fiammia legless models and probably the 2014 builds.

I'd tell the dealer to call Jim Parrett at the factory since that is who I have been in contact with. I'd be concerned if my awning COULD open WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. You might want to see if FUSE 10 is the one that stops it from opening and then you may want to pull the fuse while driving it.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
I just had an interesting and related email from Fiamma support since I have another issue with the my legless awning....

When the awning is fully extended it refuses to retract. In fact I can hear the motor running with a sound of slipping gears. Nasty! So I have to get out the handle and wind it in a little before it will retract under power of the motor.

The email mentions that with the incorrect wiring, power is always "on" to the awning, which means that while driving down the road, the seismic sensor will detect movement and continually attempt to retract an already retracted awning. The result is likely to best stripped gears and/or a ruined motor.

I'm not happy
Old 03-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
BikerBill

That is what I "heard" from one of the factory service reps. as to why they need to make sure the power is not available when the engine is on.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:48 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
I just had an interesting and related email from Fiamma support since I have another issue with the my legless awning....

When the awning is fully extended it refuses to retract. In fact I can hear the motor running with a sound of slipping gears. Nasty! So I have to get out the handle and wind it in a little before it will retract under power of the motor.

The email mentions that with the incorrect wiring, power is always "on" to the awning, which means that while driving down the road, the seismic sensor will detect movement and continually attempt to retract an already retracted awning. The result is likely to best stripped gears and/or a ruined motor.

I'm not happy
I'm kind-of sure that there is a clutch to prevent the stripped-out gears. But we are talking about fine Italian engineering, and Italian engineering is better-known for flash and glitter than for reliability, so even if there is a clutch mechanism, it may not work all that great.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Sherman Oaks , California
Good morning, our F65 awning is not retracting do we are trying to do it manually. We found the handle. Now what...the manual is of no use to assist. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Sherman Oaks , California
Nevermind, we got the cover up and fixed it. Off to dealership next for them to fix.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #13

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I'm kind-of sure that there is a clutch to prevent the stripped-out gears. But we are talking about fine Italian engineering, and Italian engineering is better-known for flash and glitter than for reliability, so even if there is a clutch mechanism, it may not work all that great.
On my 2013 AI if the awning does not retract fully and the engine is on or off, the awning will continue to attempt to close until you manage to get it to fully retract, pull the fuze, the gears strip (which probably leaves the retraction motor running), or the motor burns out whichever occurs first. In my case I eventually found and pulled the correct fuze by trial and error while sitting on a parking lot at night in a really scary part of a city somewhere in Florida. I am certain there is a limit switch to stop the retraction up there somewhere, but I did not have a ladder and trying to find that switch in the dark with the awning continually banging open and closed made searching for it impossible.

The fuze is now carefully labeled in the fuze, and hopefully I will never again need it.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
I am certain there is a limit switch to stop the retraction up there somewhere
FWIW, the limit switch is on the aft end and is visible if the awning is extended a few inches.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote