Old 03-24-2015, 07:54 AM   #15

2010 27' FB International
2013 Interstate Coach
Memphis , Tennessee
All, I have a 2012/13 AS Interstate w/ the F65s Fiamma awning. After only using it 5-6 times it appears the motor gears are stripped. it won't hold/stay retracted and makes a grinding noise. I contacted AS and they said it isnt a wiring issue. Any advice on fix or should I just take it in for service? Thanks

Old 03-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsiii View Post
All, I have a 2012/13 AS Interstate w/ the F65s Fiamma awning. After only using it 5-6 times it appears the motor gears are stripped. it won't hold/stay retracted and makes a grinding noise. I contacted AS and they said it isnt a wiring issue. Any advice on fix or should I just take it in for service? Thanks
Happened to ours while camping. I now carry a tele-steps ladder in our hitch bustle. Also rope and securing straps for securing after manually stowing it. I took it to our RV dealer in town here as we do not have a AS dealer. On this repair they are not required. I had them remove it and took the RV back its home hanger while I awaited them to bench repair the shade units failed gear box. The actual failure was a split plastic pinion gear on the motor shaft. When the bench repairs were done I returned to the RV shop for reinstall. When it initially failed in the backwoods of Arkansas I was completely not prepared to handle such a failure, no tools, no ladder, no way of getting topside to stow the damages shade, until some help arrived from a fellow camper.

ALWAYS STAND CLEAR OF THE SHADE WHEN DEPLOYING OR STOWING. When it fails and it will fail, it falls very quickly without any pre-warning. It almost nailed my wife in the head.
Road Jager

Old 04-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
The issues is if you have the Armless awning or the Eagle Series Fiamma that you do not want it to either open or close with the Engine running.

So if you put the awning out approximately 3 feet start your engine you should not be able to power it in or out.

This only applies to the Fiamma Eagle series awning with the seismic sensor.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:45 PM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAIRSTREAM View Post
The issues is if you have the Armless awning or the Eagle Series Fiamma that you do not want it to either open or close with the Engine running.

So if you put the awning out approximately 3 feet start your engine you should not be able to power it in or out.

This only applies to the Fiamma Eagle series awning with the seismic sensor.
That doesn't seem terribly practical for driving the van somewhere to get the awning fixed.

To hold it in the retracted position until you can get the gears replaced, retract it fully. Then, using a stepladder, wrap cable ties around both ends of the awning tube to hold the awning in place. Then pull the fuse for it (probably located in the driver's seat pedestal) to prevent it from trying to operate while it's cable-tied shut.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That doesn't seem terribly practical for driving the van somewhere to get the awning fixed.
You stop the engine and retract the awning with the open/close switch. This is just a test to see if your own awning is affected.

However, damage may have already been done to the awning mechanism by the incorrect wiring, as in my case: while driving down the road, the seismic (wind) sensor was continually trying to retract an already retracted awning, and eventually the gears stripped.
This was confirmed by a call to Fiamma service.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sequim , Washington
I have the F65 Eagle. It worked for the demonstration a year ago, but now will not extend. I tried to extend it once last year, but figured I had a head-space problem when nothing happened. There is power at the fuse, but no power at the switch under the passenger seat. I've emailed and called Airstream. Nothing yet.