Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2016, 05:24 PM   #401
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
I've read some articles in Russian forums as well, and found out they in Russian call this fluid "mochevina" which is a "urea" in exact means of translation.
Is this fluid really made from a urine? )))
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:32 PM   #402
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) is an aqueous urea solution made with 32.5% urea and 67.5% deionized water. It is standardised as AUS 32 (aqueous urea solution) in ISO 22241.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #403
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Is this fluid really made from a urine? )))
No. Urine and DEF both contain urea, but one is not made from the other. Kind of like asking if vodka is made from beer just because they both contain alcohol.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #404
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
No. Urine and DEF both contain urea, but one is not made from the other. Kind of like asking if vodka is made from beer just because they both contain alcohol.
Good analogy.

Gotta stay away from those Russian forums.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:40 PM   #405
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
My salesman told me DEF was made from camel urine. But we were celebrating the sale with alcohol at the time!
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:04 PM   #406
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
When celebrating with alcohol, everything can be made from anything ))) This is just a world known relief of everything what people hate )))
But dangerous if uncontrolled, as a half of the earth population are alcoholics, they just don't admit it.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:42 PM   #407

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
But dangerous if uncontrolled, as a half of the earth population are alcoholics, they just don't admit it.
In New Orleans, an alcoholic is someone who drinks alone. People who drink with somebody are either "tourists" if they're not from here or "social drinkers" if they are from here.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:30 PM   #408
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Does make sense, but not firmly correct.

Alcoholics are the people who's brain thinks they need it regardless of in social or alone, at vacation or at home, when no reason they'll find a reason. This is an illness and people simply don't admit it, the illness which can be treated with only one way - reject it for a sobriety. Trust me, Protagonist, I know. ((
Old 03-05-2016, 12:02 AM   #409

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Does make sense, but not firmly correct.
Of course not. It's a mostly-true tongue-in-cheek social commentary on the character (or lack thereof) of the city of New Orleans, not a commentary on alcoholism.

I had my last-ever "adult beverage" on September 28th, 1998, for my apartment complex's Hurricane Georges party. I have seen and known people destroyed by alcohol, and I'm determined not to be one of them.

But I never will understand why people who go to AA introduce themselves by saying, "I haven't had a drink in xx years, and I'm an alcoholic." I believe that in order to move on with your life, you've got to quit identifying yourself by your failures. Which is why I only ever attended one meeting, and why I'm not an alcoholic; I'm a non-drinker. Though I wasn't always one.

But enough of that, back to the discussion of Airstream Interstates… My Airstream is also a non-drinker. It consumes diesel, it consumes DEF, but it does not consume alcohol. No ethanol for my Interstate! My Honda Fit, on the other hand, takes a wee nip of corn sqeezings in its fuel…
Old 03-05-2016, 01:59 AM   #410
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Alcoholics who have not drank XX years are still have this brain addiction, and they may easily go after it again. At any time. That's why they've not drank for years, but they are still alcoholics. The alcoholic isn't a bad guy, he is a sick, sick forever, period. Have you ever drove a car under alcohol influence in the past, I mean before 1998? Tell me yes, and I will assume you have those broken brain receptors too. Nothing bad about the personality, though. Sorry for the flood out of topic, but half of us are alcoholics and reading this with an interest, if didn't know about it before.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:36 AM   #411

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Tell me yes, and I will assume you have those broken brain receptors too. Nothing bad about the personality, though.
Oh, yes. I attended a party one time where I had twenty-seven assorted shots in three hours, and drove home. The bartender later told me how many drinks I'd had; I sure wasn't keeping count!

Another time I chugged half a bottle of Jägermeister in one go, after getting drunk on vodka. Jägermeister is so nasty you've got to already be drunk in order to stand the taste! Didn't drive home from that one, thankfully, but was too far gone to know that, until days later when the person who drove me home told me she did…

And even when I didn't binge, I drank pretty much daily to one degree or another.

So yes, I used to be an alcoholic, and I still have to resist the urge now and again, every time I'm around my drinking friends. But I refuse to define myself as an alcoholic today. I define myself as a non-drinker, and as long as I never have that first one, that's true.

Used to be a smoker, too, until May 27th, 2006, so I'm coming up on ten years of smoke-free in a few months, too.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:07 AM   #412
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
I'm a drunk, not an alcoholic. Alcoholics go to those damn meetings! I don't have a drinking problem. I drink, I get drunk I fall down, no problem. As I said to my find Bill, tongue in cheek. Seriously, I consume little to no alcohol but I couldn't resist commenting. Fortunately in my 50 years of camping in tents, trailers and now my Airstream Interstate I have never had a break in or, for that matter, had anything go missing from my campsites. In speaking with many other campers over the years I believe my experience is the norm not the exception. I did have someone try a steal my girlfriend's (now wife) Beetle back in 1976 but knock on wood that was the last time any of our vehicles have been tampered with! I also don't live in fear because at the end of the day it is just stuff. I don't let paranoia set in and spoil my travels.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #413
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Sebtown, based on what you said above, your brain receptors were genetically adjusted to opium-based narcotics, and it leads to an alcohol weakness. This is fine, it does not mean you are a bad person, as I've told before - a good half of the earth population are alcoholics.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #414

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
This is fine, it does not mean you are a bad person, as I've told before - a good half of the earth population are alcoholics.
Can we PLEASE go back to discussing Airstream Interstates? I think we've gone more than far enough off-topic, don't you?
Old 03-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #415
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Sure! :-))))))))
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	258221  
Old 03-05-2016, 11:02 PM   #416
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Can we PLEASE go back to discussing Airstream Interstates? I think we've gone more than far enough off-topic, don't you?
I'll drink to that.

SilverGate (last "drink" was a year ago on my 68th birthday)
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:15 AM   #417
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Cheers, SilverGate ! :-)
Old 03-06-2016, 02:34 AM   #418
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
What else I've done on my bus better than Airstream factory:
1) made better holding of the front TV - installed small brackets instead of double-side tape.
2) spray-painted in black the inner side of the awning tube on the roof - because it was very visible white from a long distance on left side.
3) put few screws on the noisy rear doors plastic panels, painted those screws in grey color prior to installation.
4) installed the cloth rod for jackets and etc. in the shower cabin.
5) insulated turn-seat cables under few chairs to eliminate noises while driving.
6) painted in black that silver vent opening on the gas equipment door, also sprayed the inner galvanized box that is behind that vent opening.
7) better fixed cables and wires on the roof - Airstream made them too quick )))
8) glued with Gorilla-glue the rubber on the driver's running step - Airstream put them on double-sided tape which is not always firm.
9) slightly tinted front side windows with a good heat-resistant tint.
10) made a nice cover for the electrical box on the left side inside the rear "trunk" compartment - Airstream did not do it well at all.
11) made a great effort with the front tires balancing at Discount Tire )))) who broke two front wheels bolt covers - Alcos made these covers from thin metal, to cover the nuts, and I cannot find these covers on Internet, if somebody advise where to buy them I appreciate!
So far, that's all small things that I've recently did on my bus.
:-)
Old 03-06-2016, 01:07 PM   #419
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Lug nut cover

A little pricey, might check w/ a MB Airsteam dealer. Or check w/ this seller to see if he has singles.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #420
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Thank you Shark, I asked the seller )