Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #221
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
Ok need input

after three years full time on the road in a 2008 25FB Safari...now stationary...with a house and no means of travel as we sold our safari upon leaving the road...

rationale was to regroup...DW wanted, yearned for house...so

now trying to decide what mode of part time travel we want...thinking that we will take several six to eight week treks each year....

so, i think, feel that i do not want to pull trailer again...nothing bad about it but want something different...

do not want a huge motor home...want the nimbleness that i enjoyed with my previous rig....

so have been seriously considering an Interstate....

talking to a dealer in Fort Worth,....they do not stock the configuration i THINK I want...which according to the airstream brochure...floorplan of a "twin lounge series.....any thoughts....two captians chairs in the front of the van...and a full walk way to the back of the van...does not appear to have any storage space at the rear of the van...

then there is the" lounge wardrobe plan
that has the power option of making the rear gaucho into a large bed for two....

there are only two of us (humans anyway) so i really do not see the need for an additional captians chair...do I?????

the dealer says he will sell any model...for $120,000 no haggle...finance for twenty years...

i think i want silver exterior...with the thought of possibly addiding a 19ft bambi in tow if it becomes a thing i need or want to do?????

also satelite tv
is a must for dw..so do i have room to carry dish somewhere???

any thoughts....

on the road again
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #222
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
My Interstate is the lounge/wardrobe floor plan, and it works well for me. It's definitely nice having the full-height wardrobe closet. The sofa/bed is comfortable to sleep on as long as you tuck away the seat belts first. I also like the single second-row captain's chair right by the sliding side door. With the wardrobe closet, the galley is pushed forward so the refrigerator is right opposite the second-row captain's chair. Instead of kneeling on the floor to reach into the fridge, I sit in that chair to do it. Much better for my arthritic knees.

Storage space is at a premium in all floor plans. New for the 2012 models, you can get an "extended" chassis, that is 16 inches longer, which gives you more storage behind and under the rear sofa, at the cost of slightly reduced towing capacity (only 5000#), but you still need to carefully consider what you pack and take only what you need.

As for the satellite dish, you can replace the factory Wineguard omnidirectional HD antenna at the rear of the roof with a small roof-mount dish antenna.

As for price, you ought to be able to do better than $120,000 if you shop around. Texas has two dealers that I know of, in Fort Worth and just outside of Austin (Camper Clinic II in Buda, TX), and you should consider both. Also consider Crain RV in Little Rock, AR.

Silver exterior is nice. But, since I have the rooftop solar panel, I got white. If the solar panel is to do its job, one has to park in the sun, and white doesn't retain heat as much as the other colors.

More important than the exterior color is the interior color. Make sure you get the "light camel" interior and not the "onyx" interior. The dark cabinetry of the onyx interior would get oppressive quickly.

Also, make sure you get the television in the rear. The television in the front doesn't do any good if you don't have the second-row seats, and even with second-row seats, you have to crane your neck up uncomfortably to watch the front television.

An Interstate should tow a Bambi very well. The extended model has a 5000-pound towing capacity. The regular model has a 7500-pound towing capacity.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #223
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Kingfisher24, ours is the rear lounge that makes into a queen size bed. I think you've seen it.

There is storage in the cabinets above and below the benches, plus a flat and low storage area that runs beneath each bench and above the lower cabinets. We do fine with this much storage space.

Personally, we think the extra seats are a waste of space for two people whose primary use of the interstate is travel. Better to use that space for other things.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Maggie
Old 06-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #224
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Orlando , Florida
I've Read my Manual...

Both of the following statements are found in the 2006 Interstate manual on page H-11:

"If the generator is accidentally started, the box will sense the generator, points will switch, cutting the shoreline connection and establishing the generator connection. This protects the system from a possible overload."

and

"3. If you’re plugged into city and you start the generator, city power has the priority, so the current flow is C to A."

These statements are clearly contradictory. (What a way to write a manual!) Which one is correct?
Voyager407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #225

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager407 View Post
Both of the following statements are found in the 2006 Interstate manual on page H-11:

"If the generator is accidentally started, the box will sense the generator, points will switch, cutting the shoreline connection and establishing the generator connection. This protects the system from a possible overload."

and

"3. If you’re plugged into city and you start the generator, city power has the priority, so the current flow is C to A."

These statements are clearly contradictory. (What a way to write a manual!) Which one is correct?
If your setup is like later models, the generator only puts out 20 amps, vs. 30 amps for shore power. That being the case, it seems that the shore power would have priority. I haven't tried it to verify, however, and don't intend to, except by accident.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #226
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If your setup is like later models, the generator only puts out 20 amps, vs. 30 amps for shore power. That being the case, it seems that the shore power would have priority. I haven't tried it to verify, however, and don't intend to, except by accident.
The first paragraph on page H-11 clearly indicates just the opposite. I've never tried starting the generator while hooked to shore power, and like you, I don't intend to. But those conflicting statements in the manual have me wondering. BTW, I've asked two different Airstream servicemen at different times. One said one thing, and the other said another. Terrific!!

I have no idea how many amps my generator puts out. If I ever get the van out of the repair shop, I'll have to check that out. (They're still looking for a source of replacement glass for my rearmost driver side window. They've only had it since March 9.)
Voyager407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #227

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager407 View Post
They're still looking for a source of replacement glass for my rearmost driver side window. They've only had it since March 9.
Try here… CRL Sprinter Van Windows

According to the Sprinter Forums, Atwood used to make the glass for Sprinter-based van conversions. All of them, not just Airstream. Makes sense; Atwood makes half the fittings in my Interstate.

In 2009, Atwood sold their van conversion window division to CR Laurence, who still makes the windows for Airstream Interstates. The Atwood Windows legacy web page gave me the link to the CR Laurence site, and following the links on the CR Laurence site brought me to the page with replacement glass for every model year, that I listed above.

I bookmarked the site for future reference in case I need to get glass replaced for mine.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #228
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I used to start the B190's generator while hooked to shore power all the time. This is what a transfer switch does. It should be completely safe to do so. If you really want to be sure, disconnect shore power, start the gen, then measure the voltage on the terminals of your shore power cord. You shouldn't have any.

In the B190, the priority was the generator over shore power - that is, if you started the generator, it took over from shore power, then when you shut down it went back to shore power. In my case, you could easily hear the transfer switch clicking when it switched over, then clicking again when you shut off the generator.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #229

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I used to start the B190's generator while hooked to shore power all the time. This is what a transfer switch does. It should be completely safe to do so. If you really want to be sure, disconnect shore power, start the gen, then measure the voltage on the terminals of your shore power cord. You shouldn't have any.

In the B190, the priority was the generator over shore power - that is, if you started the generator, it took over from shore power, then when you shut down it went back to shore power. In my case, you could easily hear the transfer switch clicking when it switched over, then clicking again when you shut off the generator.
It's that way with late-model Interstates as well, but it shouldn't be. I'll try to explain why I think so…

For late-model Interstates, here are the conditions that apply…
1 - Shore power is nominally 30 amps.
2 - The Cummins Onan 2.5kW propane generator puts out 20 amps.
3 - The owner's manual recommends letting the generator warm up for about a minute before applying loads.
4 - The Energy Management System sheds loads in a specific sequernce when the amperage draw exceeds the amperage available.

Based on these criteria, the way the transfer SHOULD work is this…
A - If you're on shore power and start the generator, the generator should start, but run at idle with no load, until and unless you manually interrupt the shore power.
B - If you're running the generator and connect the shore power, the load should automatically switch to the shore power and leave the generator running at idle with no load until you manually shut down the generator.
C - If the generator is already running at idle and shore power is lost, the load should automatically switch to the generator, with the Energy Management System shedding excess loads as necessary.

The reason for this recommended arrangement, you never have to shed loads when switching from a lower-amperage source to a higher-amperage source. Also, shore power doesn't need a minute to warm up as does a generator, and so can instantly take over.

The 2012 Interstate owner's manual clearly states that the generator has priority over shore power (they fixed the contradiction that was in the older manuals). It's exactly backwards from what common sense says, as outlined above. So, if you start the generator, the loads automatically switch to the generator, even if you're drawing more amperage than the generator will supply, even if you've still got perfectly good shore power available, and even if the generator hasn't warmed up yet.

One thing I would fix if I had my druthers, but not until after the warranty expires.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #230
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I don't disagree with you. It always seemed a touch strange to me, too.

It's probably not that hard to rewire the transfer switch to do that; just a matter of changing a few wires around. Or replace the automatic transfer switch with a manual transfer switch.

There may be code reasons that it's wired the way it is, though - I have no idea about that. Might want to double check with an electrician in case there is a really good safety reason to wire it the way it currently is that we're not thinking of.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #231
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I'll bet Jim Parrott at Airstream could tell us why it's that way.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:02 AM   #232
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark
I'll bet Jim Parrott at Airstream could tell us why it's that way.
I bet he could. Also, I doubt he's sensitive about it but it's Parrett.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #233
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
My bad. Remembered the double 't's tho.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #234
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Hi
Rolling along on our 1st trip traveling from Florida to DC and wandering with the heat why the recirculating button on AC won't stay on and switches back to fresh air?

It seems to stay cooler with recirculating mode.

Also being our first trip what is the 'ideal' cruising speed? We've been running about 70 and averaging around 18-19 mpg.

But I have to tell everyone my family loves it and it is the only way to travel!
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:30 AM   #235
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
The recirculation switch is a MB Sprinter oddity. I spoke to a Sprinter tech about it and it is programmed to switch to outside air after a certain amount of time. The cars don't have this feature so I suspect it's possible to modify at the MB dealer.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #236
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I always thought it was to improve and stabilize the inside temperature.

We use it with the ac, only, which removes the humidity nicely.

Maggie
Old 06-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #237
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Hi
Rolling along on our 1st trip traveling from Florida to DC and wandering with the heat why the recirculating button on AC won't stay on and switches back to fresh air?

It seems to stay cooler with recirculating mode.

Also being our first trip what is the 'ideal' cruising speed? We've been running about 70 and averaging around 18-19 mpg.

But I have to tell everyone my family loves it and it is the only way to travel!
Maybe they do this because when it's in Recirc, there's no provision to mix any outside air in to prevent CO2 overload. I know that most cars/trucks allow about 10% outside air in when in Recirc mode.

I get about 19 @ 60-65 and it falls off at 70 & above. That's still better than my Tahoe.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #238
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We cruise off the main highways whenever possible, like to stay in the 50-55mph range and get a good, solid 25 mpg.

On the highways, at 70 or so, we get about 23 mpg.

Maggie
Old 06-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #239

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We cruise off the main highways whenever possible, like to stay in the 50-55mph range and get a good, solid 25 mpg.

On the highways, at 70 or so, we get about 23 mpg.

Maggie
The advantage of the old Interstate 2500 with the 5-cylinder diesel, vs. the 3500 with the V-6 like I've got.

My mileage is all over the map, it seems, anywhere from 16.5 mpg at 70 mph when bucking a headwind to 19.5 mpg at 50~55. I've never even seen 20 mpg with my Interstate, not even downhill with a tailwind.

Of course, that poor showing could also be because I drive like I'm from Louisiana or something.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:50 AM   #240
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, we just lucked into this engine. Had no idea at the time what we were getting.

Perfect, though, for our meandering type of travel. Just meant to be.

Maggie