Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #121
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I had an aluminum receiver tray om mine. It worked fine and allowed me just enough room to access the switch for the dump valve. Mine had a full aluminum box on it, making it easy to carry fuel cans etc. I* could open the doors just far enough to reach the valve switch so there was no interference with normal camping. The additional length was never a problem. I moved the licence plate to the carrier and made a plug for the to go to the trailer plug in the bumper. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #122
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Bought mine from United Welding Services. It is the hitch carrier and added hitch box, all aluminum and very light. I can easily carry the combo. Check out their website, not cheap but I can not remember the prices. jim
Old 04-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have one of those trays, also a really nice, waterproof bag for it. Used it last year when we drove with 4 grands to SC. Stored their clothes, sleeping bags, pillows, etc., in there. We stayed in KOA cabins on the trip out. Just couldn't put them out in a tent in a strange place.

We only use this rack when camping with the grand kids and hauling wood to a rally. We wouldn't want to add the length on a regular basis. Defeats the benefits of the 22' Interstate.

I was thinking of more permanent storage. There is simply no room inside for an outdoor room, but it's a great idea.

Maggie
Old 04-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #124
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I left the rack on all the time. The box was lockable and almost looked like an AS accessory. 2 extra feet---I backed into most parking places. The extra storage was invaluable when on the road for more than a few days. jim
Old 04-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi
I left the rack on all the time. The box was lockable and almost looked like an AS accessory. 2 extra feet---I backed into most parking places. The extra storage was invaluable when on the road for more than a few days. jim
Nope. Not for us. .

We don't want to deal with the extra length on a daily basis, and have traveled for up to 12 weeks at a time using just our interior storage. Plenty of clothing for different temperatures and all else that we need to be comfortable.

We could teach a class on taking just what you need and maximizing use of small storage spaces.

Maggie
Old 04-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
broken latch in cargo door

Sam Leman Autobody in Bloomington ordered the part and had this fixed in just over 24 hours, for a grand total of $40. They also replaced the bulb in a rear turn signal at no charge. Love that kind of customer service.

Aaaaaaahhhhh---(sigh of relief)

Maggie
Old 04-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Here's the company whose name appears on my 2011 MB Interstate windows. Don't know if you could deal direct w/ them or not.
The link didn't connect. The company's name is C. R. Laurence.

C.R. Laurence Co., Inc.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #128
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Replacement Windows for 2006 Airstream Interstate

Originally Posted by doug&maggie
They are still making these vans, why would there be no windows available?

Well, that's the thing. Vans like you and I have are NOT being made. We have the old 2500 model. New Interstates are on a 3500 chassis, and the windows are different.
Voyager407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #129
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager407
Originally Posted by doug&maggie
They are still making these vans, why would there be no windows available?

Well, that's the thing. Vans like you and I have are NOT being made. We have the old 2500 model. New Interstates are on a 3500 chassis, and the windows are different.
Okay, to my poorly discerning eye I did not see the difference.

Pardon. I stand corrected.

We lost a window several years ago, could happen again. Hate to think we could not get a replacement.

Can they be custom made? Must be SOMETHING that could be done.

Maggie
Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #130
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Okay, to my poorly discerning eye I did not see the difference.

Pardon. I stand corrected.

We lost a window several years ago, could happen again. Hate to think we could not get a replacement.

Can they be custom made? Must be SOMETHING that could be done.

Maggie
If all else fails, you could try one of the BIG nationwide dealers that sells Airstream as only one of many brands, and has its own collision center. Dave Arbogast Conversion Van Parts Center - Van Parts Order Form comes to mind, but I've never used them so it's not really a recommendation.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #131
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:

We could teach a class on taking just what you need and maximizing use of small storage spaces.

Maggie
Where do I sign up?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #132
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Protagonist, in an earlier post you said "The front door glass and windshield were original Sprinter, all the rest was custom, and the repair soruces as determined by the insurance company were different" I can only speak about my 2010 Interstate (2008 Sprinter) but if you look at the official Data Card for my Sprinter, it clearly indicates that the glass in the rear doors were installed at the time of manufacture by MB. This would mean that replacement windows should be available through the usual sorces that body shops use for glass.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #133

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
Protagonist, in an earlier post you said "The front door glass and windshield were original Sprinter, all the rest was custom, and the repair soruces as determined by the insurance company were different" I can only speak about my 2010 Interstate (2008 Sprinter) but if you look at the official Data Card for my Sprinter, it clearly indicates that the glass in the rear doors were installed at the time of manufacture by MB. This would mean that replacement windows should be available through the usual sorces that body shops use for glass.
Oh, yeah. Forgot about that. You're right, rear door windows are orignal Sprinter as well.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #134
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
On my 2006 Interstate (rear dinette plan) I have rear windows on either side of the van that have stationary panes above and two small awning windows below that can be cranked open. (NOT the windows in the rear doors.) The stationary pane on the driver's side needs to be replaced due to storm damage (my RV port collapsed on top of my van).

These windows must have been installed by Airstream. They told my repair guy that they were different from what is on the newer Interstates and that the source they used in 2006 is now out of business.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #135
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Voyager407, My mistake, sorry about that! When you said "rear window" I took it literally.
Good luck with your search and do let us know the outcome.
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #136
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:

Where do I sign up?
Cute! What can I help you with?

Maggie
Old 04-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #137
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Cute! What can I help you with?

Maggie
Oh, I can never find room for all the stuff I think I need to take. Like you, I don't want to add any more to the 22' length.

I'm used to a 39-ft Airstream motorhome!

Voyager

P.S. Have you seen the extended length 2012 Interstate?
Old 04-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #138

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager407 View Post
Oh, I can never find room for all the stuff I think I need to take. Like you, I don't want to add any more to the 22' length.

Voyager

Extended length pluses: (1) more cargo capacity in the overhead rear locker and under the sofa; (2) you don't have to remove the headrests before converting the sofa into a bed.

Extended length minuses: (1) the added 16 inches of length makes it harder to park in a regular parking space; (1a) the added length is all behind the rear wheels so you've got more tailswing; (2) the added weight of the longer chassis and body takes away from your Net Cargo Capacity because the empty weight is higher, without a corresponding increase in GVWR; (3) the spare tire is harder to access because it's farther up under the vehicle; (4) Along with the reduction in net cargo capacity is a reduction in trailer towing capacity; (5) You don't gain any increased living space.

So, with the extended model you've got more cargo capacity by volume, but less cargo capacity by weight, along with other detriments, without much more in improvements. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll keep my regular-length Interstate. By purchaing the lounge/wardrobe model, with a full-height wardrobe closet opposite the bathroom, I gained some additional— and more easily accessible— storage with no increase in length, at the cost of one second-row seat that I don't really need anyway.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #139
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:

Voyager

I have not, and we really love what we've got so are not looking for a new one.

Maggie
Old 04-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #140
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
We really love what we've got so are not looking for a new one.

Maggie
I feel the same way. I just love my 2006 rear dinette model - EXCEPT for the dumping setup. If you have either of the models with the front bath, you must share my frustration with the inaccessibility of the sewer drain. You can't even see it unless you put your ear on the ground and look up. I once fastened on my sewer hose using the braille method, and it popped off at exactly the worst time. Talk about a lady in distress!

Has anyone figured a way to make dumping easier on these models?