Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2012, 07:32 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I'll do that, purely for the sake of curiosity, but let's get back to BL1996 and his inexplicable battery drain, shall we?
I think what we're discussing here may be directly related to BL1996's issue. If the LPG valve IS in fact drawing current even with the Disconnect off, then that coupled with weak batteries may be his problem. If the LPG valve IS NOT drawing current with Disconnect off he needs to look deeper.

Another thought; this thread "Fans of Airstream Interstate" was opened as a geenral discussion of Interstates and their use, what folks like and dislike, etc. This battery drain topic belongs in a new thread where it will get more focused attention. BL1996 should start the new thread IMHO.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie
Our unit is 6 years old and has 108,000 miles on it. The cargo door latch has begun sticking badly, which we thought was normal wear and tear.

The mechanic at the Dodge dealership gave it a good shot of WD40 this morning and Voila! No more problems! Who knew? We didn't. Doug promptly treated all the doors.

Maggie
Well, last pm the door latch just quit, broke, won't latch/open/close. Inside and outside handle just move loosely. Lubrication was apparently not the issue. Boooo. .

6 years old, we have had for 5 years, 111,000 miles. Stuff is going to wear out.

We are on our way to Iowa, will find a body shop this am who can hopefully fix.

Maggie
Old 04-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #103
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Common problem with these. Needs adjusting most likely. If I remember the Sprinter forums had an article on adjusting and repairing. Might still be in their search function. These doors always were a problem on early model Sprinters, but easily fixed. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi
Common problem with these. Needs adjusting most likely. If I remember the Sprinter forums had an article on adjusting and repairing. Might still be in their search function. These doors always were a problem on early model Sprinters, but easily fixed. jim
Good.

We are headed for the Dodge dealer in Mt. Pleasant, who said they could get us in as soon as we arrive. Picking up a grand baby in the am, really need a functioning door.

Maggie
Old 04-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Kudos to Shottenkirk's in Mt. Pleasant, IA, who diagnosed a broken latch ---@ no charge.

They recommended a Sprinter dealer for replacement, we are seeing our folks at home early Monday morning.

Will have to take the kiddies to the zoo this weekend, without a working cargo door----it will be an adventure for them, climbing in and out through the passenger seat.

Maggie
Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Maggie,
I assume that by "cargo door" you are talking about the sliding door on the curbside of the Sprinter? If yes, go to the Sprinter Forum, then the T1N subforum. Click on "Search this Forum" (in the upper right corner) and enter "sliding door"; you will get lots of hits.

Good luck!
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid
Maggie,
I assume that by "cargo door" you are talking about the sliding door on the curbside of the Sprinter? If yes, go to the Sprinter Forum, then the T1N subforum. Click on "Search this Forum" (in the upper right corner) and enter "sliding door"; you will get lots of hits.

Good luck!
Wayne
Thank you, we'll do that. Doug is reluctant to try to deal with this himself, as getting the door off is not a simple task, apparently. I'll get him on to read those threads, though.

It is annoying to have to go in and out through the passenger and driver door. Us and the dog. Grrrrr. Telling myself that stuff happens.

Have an early am appt. with our local dealer on Monday, when we can leave it for a couple of days disassembled. Have to have this fixed before next Thursday, when we are taking 3 grand kids camping.

Maggie
Old 04-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #108
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Unhappy

Dear Doug & Maggie,
I think my Interstate is exactly like yours, at least on the exterior. (2006 rear dinette.) Unfortunately, in February a windstorm destroyed my RV port and did $4,100 worth of scratches, scrapes, and dents to the van.

It's been in the shop for six weeks. They keep telling me they can't find any glass shop that can replace the rear window, driver's side. How can this be? Airstream was consulted, but they were not interested in helping, saying that the original supplier is out of business.

What am I going to do?
Voyager407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager407
Dear Doug & Maggie,
I think my Interstate is exactly like yours, at least on the exterior. (2006 rear dinette.) Unfortunately, in February a windstorm destroyed my RV port and did $4,100 worth of scratches, scrapes, and dents to the van.

It's been in the shop for six weeks. They keep telling me they can't find any glass shop that can replace the rear window, driver's side. How can this be? Airstream was consulted, but they were not interested in helping, saying that the original supplier is out of business.

What am I going to do?
Ohhh, that's not good.

I'd take some pictures and send them around online, might be able to find someone that way. I'd also call JC directly. They are still making these vans, why would there be no windows available?

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 04-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #110
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Try a Dodge dealer who used to sell them. They may still have the parts books. I do not know if the MB dealers books go back that far. Also Freightliner may be helpful. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:09 AM   #111
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
When my Interstate was burglarized, my insurance company told me where to get the glass, and it made a difference whether it was the glass on a door or on the side panels. The front door glass and windshield were original Sprinter, all the rest was custom, and the repair soruces as determined by the insurance company were different. Fortunately, I only needed front door glass replaced.

If zigzagguzzi's idea doesn't pan out, as your next option, try contacting your RV insurance company and asking them where to get your glass. Even if you're filing the claim on your homeowner's, your RV insurance company has a vested interest in knowing where to get any part for any insured vehicle, so they've probably already done the legwork you're trying to do. And even if they can't help, you're only out one phone call.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:33 AM   #112
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
When we were in an accident with our B190 that broke the side window, they ended up replacing it with plexiglas for similar reasons. I don't recommend this - it rattled annoyingly at highway speeds - but it was certainly better than nothing.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #113

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
They are still making these vans, why would there be no windows available?
One reason why they might not have windows available, even if the windows are the same for MB Interstates as for Dodge or Freightliner Interstates, perhaps they buy the windows as a set, not as individual pieces, and don't want to end up with a partial set they may not be able to use after selling one window?

Or maybe not; that reason would only work if they NEVER break a window while trying to install it at the factory.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie

Have an early am appt. with our local dealer on Monday, when we can leave it for a couple of days disassembled. Have to have this fixed before next Thursday, when we are taking 3 grand kids camping.

Maggie
Well, the inner latch is broken. That door has been open and shut a lot the past 5 years.

Part will be $26 and labor about $40. Will have it back tomorrow afternoon. Yeeeaaayy!

Took 4 grands to Brookfield Zoo in the Interstate this past weekend, and had a blast. As expected, climbing in and out of the rear door was fun for them. Grandma did so less nimbly, but got it done with just minor assistance from hubby. Good for my knees, anyway.

Life is good.

Maggie
Old 04-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #115

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Took 4 grands to Brookfield Zoo in the Interstate this past weekend, and had a blast.
Did you also bring them back, or leave them as an exhibit?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist

Did you also bring them back, or leave them as an exhibit?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Funny.

They are really great kids. Grandma is pretty firm with them (Grandpa is the softy), but they don't need much more than a stern voice to stay in line. Two sets of very loving and conscientious parents. Lucky children, lucky us. .

We use the Interstate to cart them anywhere, as our other vehicle is a Toyota matrix. Spent Friday night at a hotel in Oak Park, not far from the zoo, then came home Saturday evening. Perfect.

They love the travel time as much as anything else. Are starting to talk about a couple of weeks west with them, when they are a bit older and not so vulnerable in a tent. There are just too many crazy people out there. .

Maggie
Old 04-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #117

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Are starting to talk about a couple of weeks west with them, when they are a bit older and not so vulnerable in a tent. There are just too many crazy people out there.
What kind of awning does your 2006 have? I ask because the 2012's have a Fiamma F65 awning, and I just noticed in the FiammaUSA catalog about an enclosure that they make for the Fiamma F65. A privacy room on the side of your Interstate would expand the living space, without being as vulnerable as a tent for the young'uns.

I'm thinking of getting an enclosure for my own awning, though not until I'm ready to retire. When my camping is just a few days at a time, an enclosure is more trouble than it's worth for just me. If I were to camp at one site for a week at a time and want to set up more stuff, then there would be more advantage to an enclosure.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
What kind of awning does your 2006 have? I ask because the 2012's have a Fiamma F65 awning, and I just noticed in the FiammaUSA catalog about an enclosure that they make for the Fiamma F65. A privacy room on the side of your Interstate would expand the living space, without being as vulnerable as a tent for the young'uns.

I'm thinking of getting an enclosure for my own awning, though not until I'm ready to retire. When my camping is just a few days at a time, an enclosure is more trouble than it's worth for just me. If I were to camp at one site for a week at a time and want to set up more stuff, then there would be more advantage to an enclosure.
Ours is a Fiamma, I believe. Where to store a privacy room?

I will keep them close.

Maggie
Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
They are still making these vans, why would there be no windows available?
Here's the company whose name appears on my 2011 MB Interstate windows. Don't know if you could deal direct w/ them or not.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:19 AM   #120

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Ours is a Fiamma, I believe. Where to store a privacy room?
Receiver-mount cargo tray? I just bought a cargo tray for mine, so I'll have a place to carry spare cans of diesel as well as bulky items if I have to evacuate for hurricanes. When I get the privacy room, I'll be able to carry it on the tray as well.

The one I bought (at Camping World) is an Everthere X12, even though the manufacturer has gone out of business, simply because it's made of aluminum (only weighs 30 pounds) and folds up small enough to store it in a closet at home when I'm not using it. I'd probably have gotten a different model if I was going to leave it attached full-time, but the last thing I need is something that makes my Interstate even longer when it's parked at my apartment complex.

Anyway, when folded out, the cargo tray has 9 square feet (4½×2) of space, and holds up to 400 pounds. Just have to make sure whatever I carry on it doesn't obscure the license plate; it's narrow enough I don't have to worry about obscuring the taillights. And, when the tray is mounted on the vehicle, I can see it in the rearview camera, so few worries about the extra length when backing up.