Old 04-12-2016, 08:06 PM   #547
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
leaving the interstate family?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Trying to sell mine. Grandkids are getting too big to be in the close quarters of the lounge plus that puny rear A/C doesn't cut it when we travel in the summer which doesn't help.

Talking w/ a local upfitter about building a van w/ four rows (incl driver & psgr) of two buckets/row. Then a toilet/lav and frig in rear. Also they use a six ton rear A/C powered w/ separate compressor on the engine which suits our needs as we aren't campers. Only used the bed and shower about three times in four years and never used the stove. I think we used the microwave once for popcorn. So we'll see how it goes when we get ours sold.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #548
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Marc, you selling you Interstate?
If yes, what a next toy are going to buy?

Old 04-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #549
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Oh... I see your last post.

So, and what is the brand you are thinking to order one of?
Old 04-13-2016, 06:36 AM   #550
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
Airstream now has a van with just seats.. That one could probably be modified to add a bathroom. You might want to inquire if Airstream can take out a couple of seats and add a bath..
Old 04-13-2016, 06:40 AM   #551
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
https://www.airstream.com/touring-co...view-personal/
Old 04-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #552
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Key Largo , Florida
Do like the look without the awning - but as we are camping we need and love the awning... thanks for the photos.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #553
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjgman View Post
Airstream now has a van with just seats.. That one could probably be modified to add a bathroom. You might want to inquire if Airstream can take out a couple of seats and add a bath..
Didn't know that. Is it on their website?

I've experienced Airstream's "quality and workmanship" and seen this upfitter's product and toured their facility. I'm going to give them a shot and use a Ford Transit as a base vehicle. I know, friends don't let friends drive Fords but the wife really likes it which can be a two-edged sword. If we go this way, will report back on results.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:54 AM   #554
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Airstream uses some good materials and equipment, however their workmanship has a lot of signs of cutting the corners, which I patiently eliminate myself, day by day, one at a time. Once all their small flaws will be fixed, my van will be just right for me personally. I love it. Can I buy one the same converted Sprinter with better, like at Bently, craftsmanship quality? Yes, and it could be a Sprinter Brabus with the price of $450,000, which I don't want to spend.

Ford Transit? Hmmm...
Did I try it? Yes of course.
My IMHO for Marc:
It is a good new vehicle on its brand, but it is not a Mercedes. So, it is not so fancy outside, it does not have some nice inside cabin appearance and options, yes it is a gas guzzler, and it is not so roomy, also it doesn't run on the highway as a car as it runs bulkier than Sprinter.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #555
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Airstream uses some good materials and equipment, however their workmanship has a lot of signs of cutting the corners, which I patiently eliminate myself, day by day, one at a time. Once all their small flaws will be fixed, my van will be just right for me personally. I love it. Can I buy one the same converted Sprinter with better, like at Bently, craftsmanship quality? Yes, and it could be a Sprinter Brabus with the price of $450,000, which I don't want to spend.

Ford Transit? Hmmm...
Did I try it? Yes of course.
My IMHO for Marc:
It is a good new vehicle on its brand, but it is not a Mercedes. So, it is not so fancy outside, it does not have some nice inside cabin appearance and options, yes it is a gas guzzler, and it is not so roomy, also it doesn't run on the highway as a car as it runs bulkier than Sprinter.
First we aren't getting the wagon version which I assume you are referring to re: cabin appearance. Or did you hook up w/ a conversion van?

We'll start w/ a bare van just like AS does. Their quality of materials is every bit as good as AS's is. And just seeing the extra effort they take to prevent squeaks and rattles was a pleasure. And the mpg is about the same as the MB plus petrol is cheaper than fuel, no DEF, and no $200+ oil/filter changes. And even tho the wheelbase (WB) is almost two feet shorter, the ride seemed better, even in the rear. Since a shorter WB usually means a harder ride, I assume that Transits have a different shock/spring rate. (GCWR=13,000 GVWR=9,500) Can use a lower capacity since we aren't toting a ton of water, propane, generator, and house batteries. Will have inverter and two isolated chassis batteries.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #556
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
Marc,

Here is the link to the Autobahn..

https://www.airstream.com/touring-coaches/autobahn/

And I drive a ford😜 no problems yet.. But I do miss my Tundra..
Old 04-13-2016, 10:01 PM   #557
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Gentelmen, you are comparing cars with a bus. Yes, I have several vehicles as my toys, and among them is a Toyota, not a Tundra but Sequoia which is basically the same thing. The bus would never be driven as a car though Sprinter was made as much as possible close to it in its behavior. If we talking about rattles inside the bus - yes, they are exist but I am eliminating them one by one, for example, today I opened both doors hinges in the shower room, and put more new screws to fix them because as I mentioned before, the Airstream workers did they craftsmanship badly fast (and being a Russian mobster I would gladly cut their fingers for such a job ))).

In comparison of AI and Transit - it depends of what do you need, and you have to really understand what do you need, because "nice", "beautiful", "sleek", "drives well", etc. - these are not definitions of what exactly a person really need in his life and many people don't realize it.

If Marc was talking about that which is on my following picture - it is not a bus but more a van, in which you cannot walk, cannot stay, and cannot be spacey relaxed as in the Interstate. However, again, it is depends of what you do want it for. Sure I can drive my Mercedes Benz S550 sedan, which is very pleasurable to ride even to Alaska, but it will never give me so much a space-comfort in long travels as my Interstate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	260693  
Old 04-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #558
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
This is the interior space of what Marc going to look for, and it is obviously smaller:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	260694  
Old 04-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #559
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Unless Marc will buy this one,

but I did not see such motorhomes here in the United States,

and think that it is impossible to walk inside in your full height, because you will scrap your scalp of the ceiling ,

and I don't think they would make this real gas-guzzler with interior amenities like in our Interstate.

PS: anyway, Marc, once you change your van, it wouldn't be a reason for you to stay in our AI forum, and I will really regret of your leaving, as I will miss you and your experienced technical advises. However, as long as you have the Interstate we are always pleased by your comments.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	260695  
Old 04-15-2016, 04:08 PM   #560
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:

In comparison of AI and Transit - it depends of what do you need, and you have to really understand what do you need, because "nice", "beautiful", "sleek", "drives well", etc. - these are not definitions of what exactly a person really need in his life and many people don't realize it.

If Marc was talking about that which is on my following picture - it is not a bus but more a van, in which you cannot walk, Why? cannot stay, Don't need to stay which is one reason why we are changing. and cannot be spacey relaxed as in the Interstate. It will essentially be like the AS Autobahn except it will have toilet facilities in the rear.

The grandkids will be able to relax much more when they each have their own captain's seat, USB port, storage cubby, and cupholder. The overhead storage is comperable to the AI.

However, again, it is depends of what you do want it for. Sure I can drive my Mercedes Benz S550 sedan, which is very pleasurable to ride even to Alaska, but it will never give me so much a space-comfort in long travels as my Interstate. And neither will my Corvette but it's a lot more fun to drive. Maybe it's the sound of the sidepipe SBC roar under full throttle.
Quote:
This is the interior space of what Marc going to look for, and it is obviously smaller:
For clarification, what I'm looking a is the long wheelbase, high roof 350 w/ SRW axle. Other than the WB been shorter, the rest of the dimensions are comparable. Since the van won't have as much weight, won't need the DRW axle.

Quote:
Unless Marc will buy this one,

but I did not see such motorhomes here in the United States,

and think that it is impossible to walk inside in your full height, because you will scrape your scalp of the ceiling ,

Interior height is 81.5". No problem w/ scraping.

and I don't think they would make this real gas-guzzler with interior amenities You can check out the amenities here. like in our Interstate.

The 3.5 dual turbos V6 is rated 15/19/16 which is better than I get w/ the AS but real world will probably will be more like 13/17/15 which is the same as I get now plus up 'til this week, fuel still cost more than gas.

PS: anyway, Marc, once you change your van, it wouldn't be a reason for you to stay in our AI forum, and I will really regret of your leaving, as I will miss you and your experienced technical advises. However, as long as you have the Interstate we are always pleased by your comments.
Oh I'll stick around, if for no other reason than to pass on +/-'s of the Transit conversion. Already perusing a Transit forum for likes/dislikes.

IIRC, another former AI owner still comes around periodically to offer wisdom.