Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 07:02 AM   #621
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
You could book by phone, rather than online?

Maggie
Yes, if I was OK with waiting on hold for about 45 minutes.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #622
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
... This is what I got last night. "Username and email address sign-on are currently unavailable."

Wait, are these people not in the business of taking reservations and flying airplanes? How can the entire system be "currently unavailable"?! This is 2018, not 1999. ....

Two thoughts on your problems:

1. Frequent Flyer programs are so 1999. I gave up on them a long time ago. Unless you are flying every week for business they are pretty much useless.

2. Yes this is 2018 and big corporate networks are under constant attach by outside intruders trying to steal something. Networks go down occasionally for lots of reasons. I mention this because I spent yesterday at a major conference where cyber security issues were discussed at length. Our businesses are being robbed everyday by criminals and state actors. We are literally at war in cyber space.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #623
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Absolutely correct re: War in cyberspace. It's an undeclared war, but believe me, its going on. The joke in the computer security business is, "Just because YOU are paranoid does NOT mean they are NOT out to get you."

I've had to install real firewall hardware on my home networks, monitor them 24/7 and it is 'interesting' to see just what kind of stuff and attempts are going on 24/7.

There are days when I think the smart thing to do is pull the plug, and live far away from big cities. If anything serious goes down, pretty much everything internet connected is vulnerable in some way...all over the planet. Just be careful out there.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #624
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
... Frequent Flyer programs .... Unless you are flying every week for business they are pretty much useless. .....
It depends on one's personal situation. If I have a family emergency and I need to go to Nova Scotia tomorrow, there is nnnnnooooo way I'm extricating myself from that predicament for less than $2,000, unless I can cash in miles. Otherwise $2,000 is my financial floor. And the reality could be worse than that.

So why wouldn't I maintain a Southwest account with 252,000 miles in it, which is what I do? Southwest cannot solve all my problems, but they CAN get me to Portland ME at the drop of a hat for "free". And from there, I can figure something out. Southwest is my main source (because their program is the best IMO). United is my Plan B.

Southwest came in very handy when we bought our Interstate. It flew both of us one-way to Memphis literally on about 4 hours notice, for "free", which at the time would have cost me $675 out of pocket if I'd had to pay for it (we drove the Interstate from Memphis back to Houston). If I tried to pull that same stunt tomorrow without the benefit of miles, our cost would be $798 (I just looked it up).

Now, if someone is located in Dallas and their ailing Grandma is in Phoenix, then no, it might not be worth jacking around with any frequent flyer plan. But I've managed my accounts long enough to know that the benefit to me is worth the hassles.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #625
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
My husband had to endure this rant of mine last night. I now find myself compelled to spread it around.

Our motivation for buying our Interstate was largely United Airlines, which once stranded us for FOUR DAYS in Newark. Three of us were en route from Houston to Nova Scotia and our connecting flight was cancelled. Which is not uncommon, but then UA declined to reschedule us in a timely manner. The resulting debacle cost me over $700 in unplanned trip expenses (hotels and taxis) of which they refused to reimburse me even one dime, not to mention it took a short vacation and made it even shorter.

Anyway, that's largely how we became a fan of the Airstream Interstate. We were driven to adopt alternate travel means. People wonder why I drive to Nova Scotia, given the distance. I can drive it in five days; sometimes it takes United four days just to fly it (they have a partial monopoly on that obscure route such that other carriers are difficult for us for much of the year; details omitted for brevity).

Anyway, I still have frequent flyer miles with United, and it requires some sort of booking on a regular basis to keep those miles from expiring. I need to preserve those miles for family emergencies and the like. We have to do a short overnight trip within Texas and it's too hot to stay in our Interstate right now, so we needed a hotel reservation. Fine - I told LB_3 that I would book it through United and thus meet the requirement for account activity and miles preservation.

This is what I got last night. "Username and email address sign-on are currently unavailable."

Wait, are these people not in the business of taking reservations and flying airplanes? How can the entire system be "currently unavailable"?! This is 2018, not 1999.

Sigh. I'm not even flying with United any longer, and they are STILL finding ways to mess me up. I waited for a while, but the system did not come back up. We had to book through another website and without the mileage credit.

Long live the Class B and the independence that it brings to our lives.

I get this message all the time and it means that you have to use your frequent-flyer mileage account number to log in.
Try it it should work. Don’t use your email address or your username.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #626
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Wait, are these people not in the business of taking reservations and flying airplanes? How can the entire system be "currently unavailable"?! This is 2018, not 1999.

Sigh. I'm not even flying with United any longer, and they are STILL finding ways to mess me up. I waited for a while, but the system did not come back up. We had to book through another website and without the mileage credit.

Long live the Class B and the independence that it brings to our lives.
Because United is using *** mainframes for their reservations system. I have first hand knowledge of this because sister-in-law is in United upper management. I worked for Hewlett-Packard for 30+ yrs. and one of my major accounts was Southwest Airlines. Their reservation system NEVER go down and is much simpler to use than United's. So, just imagine Thanksgiving dinner with me and my sister-in-law. Never a pretty sight.

I would not fly United or any airline for that matter unless I am in a hurry and I can't drive there in less than 20hrs. in 1-shot. But wife flies free with United (sister connection) anywhere in the world, so she puts up with them. I guess beggars can't be choosy.

The AI or any Class-B makes the travel so much more enjoyable.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:24 AM   #627
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
My husband had to endure this rant of mine last night. I now find myself compelled to spread it around.

Our motivation for buying our Interstate was largely United Airlines, which once stranded us for FOUR DAYS in Newark. Three of us were en route from Houston to Nova Scotia and our connecting flight was cancelled. Which is not uncommon, but then UA declined to reschedule us in a timely manner. The resulting debacle cost me over $700 in unplanned trip expenses (hotels and taxis) of which they refused to reimburse me even one dime, not to mention it took a short vacation and made it even shorter.

Anyway, that's largely how we became a fan of the Airstream Interstate. ....
Echoes of this inspirational nightmare of ours. I saw the headline this morning and knew with certainty that it was the United Airlines partner. The final two sentences in this news byte tell the whole story: "The airline made alternate arrangements for passengers. There was no immediate word on when they would be flying out."

There was no immediate word on when they would be flying out because they can barely get anyone in and out of Halifax even under the best of circumstances. IMO, it's a miracle that nobody has gotten killed on that route. Yet.

Yes, that is indeed how we became fans of the Airstream Interstate. And why I now drive solo from Houston to Nova Scotia every year. It really IS that bad.

Cockpit smoke forces plane back to Halifax airport minutes after take off
Old 10-26-2018, 07:04 AM   #628
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Airlines were involved in my Interstate purchase decicion also, and I don't even fly that much. It has become so unpleasant to fly, that I would rather drive. I like having a seat that no one else sits in with me and I like having my toiletries and beverages!
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:23 AM   #629
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
The Halifax airport managed to go 3 whole years without a jet crashing. Can you imagine what would happen if any American international airport were to see two jets crashing inside 3 years?!

I'm confounded by the euphemism "goes off runway", though. The 747 crashed on landing. The impact tore off two engines and the undercarriage. They're bloody lucky that it didn't become the second largest fireball the province has ever seen (here's the first). If they'd call it like it is, maybe they could use that perception to lobby for some much-needed airport improvements.

Meanwhile, I'll stick to impossibly long Interstate road trips to continue avoiding the Airport From Hell.

747 cargo jet goes off runway at Halifax airport
Old 11-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #630
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:

Meanwhile, I'll stick to impossibly long Interstate road trips[/B][/URL] to continue avoiding the Airport From Hell.
INTERBLOG - First of all, you got the 1st part right - INTERSTATES are better any day than any 747 flight. Now if you could just convince LB3 to drive you there and back on your trips, you would be golden
Old 11-08-2018, 05:19 AM   #631
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
INTERBLOG - First of all, you got the 1st part right - INTERSTATES are better any day than any 747 flight. Now if you could just convince LB3 to drive you there and back on your trips, you would be golden
He's in California at a SpaceX thing, or he'd be all over that comment.

I like driving cross-continent solo. I am not sure why, because I'm not masochistic by temperament. I find it meditative. Life is complicated, and driving dawn till dusk five days in a row reduces daily complexity down to a You Have One Job state of being and focus.

Plus podcasts open up a whole new world. That $$$$ Pioneer head unit we recently installed is an ergonomic nightmare that I generally wish had never been invented, but at least I can play downloaded content now, albeit with a lot of difficulty.

Going to St. Louis and back a few weeks ago, I discovered the Christian Shorey series - Colorado School of Mines, and I initially picked some of his lectures because I was rounding out some continuing ed on my state license (geoscience). But then I started listening to the rest because the guy tells a hell of a good story.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #632
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
He's in California at a SpaceX thing, or he'd be all over that comment.

I find it meditative.
INTERBLOG - Haha, I am sure LB3 would have some interesting comments about 'chauffeuring' you cross-country.

You & I maybe in the minority finding driving meditative (and in my case, add therapeutic to that, with only 1 caveat - so long as it's not rush hour; though I am finding out that even in rush hour, being inside the AI somehow is less stressful than in any of my other cars)
Old 11-08-2018, 12:47 PM   #633
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I certainly like driving.
But I do NOT like driving on the East Coast at all.
I also like to avoid the interstates whenever I can- although often due to time constraints that is the only choice. Or if weather is bad, they seem to be maintained a lot better in general.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote