Old 04-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Length of trips

Doug and Maggie,

What are the length of trips you take?

Could you travel for a month or more in it and be comfortable?

Old 04-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
Doug and Maggie,

What are the length of trips you take?

Could you travel for a month or more in it and be comfortable?

We have done 12 weeks at our longest, all kinds of weather, and have been very comfortable.

One has to get along well with one's partner, to be together 24 hours a day in such a small space---but we are very fortunate to have that in our relationship. If ya ain't in love and the very best of friends, wouldn't recommend it.

We are very space conscious with everything, but have all we need and always more than we have to have, every time. Plenty of clothes, a couple of pairs of shoes apiece, and minimalist but plenty adequate kitchen equipment to cook simple but healthy meals. .

Maggie

Old 04-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Last month Gerald (gmilleroik1) of Muskogee, Oklahoma, took delivery of a new 2011 Airstream Interstate and started the Yahoo Group: Airstream Interstate: Airstream Interstate & Avenue with detailed observations, along with new unit problems and fixes.

Welcome to AirForums, Gerald!

As wayneskid points out, also check out the Sprinter-Forum - The Sprinter Source for additional information and support.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
SW , Oregon
One of the fun parts of owning an Interstate is figuring out what you need and what you have room to store. We have folding bikes which fit perfectly between the side benches and rear sofa. It was like someone pre-measured so they would fit perfectly. We always made do with folding chairs till we saw a couple in a 19' Roadtrek with reclining lounges. Now we have two Lafumas and they ride in the isle while traveling. At night they are sometimes stored between the front seats. The folding bikes go in front of the driver's and passenger seats. We use a tiny little super packable grill made in Japan. We just have purchased a 10" Dutch Oven to add some variety to our cooking options.

We have everything we need and more. Could a couple stay out for months in an Interstate? I wouldn't see any reason why not.
2013 Jeep Wrangler dinghy
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
When I had my Interstate I used a hitch carrier made of aluminum to carry chairs, etc.. zz
Old 04-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I have a 345 Classis MH now and considering adding an Interstate or trailer to the fleet.

A couple of things that I really like about MHs are:
Easy set up and tear down -
Don't have to exit when stopping for the night while travelling
Can make a sandwich, make a pit stop, etc easily (if you are the passenger)

What do you think the drawbacks of a MH are?
Is it a PITA to pack up during the day to go to the store or do you just detach your hoses and cable and drop in place until you return?
I guess much of that depends on how much "stuff" you get out....

I really like the small size for traveling purposes.

Thanks,
Katy
Old 04-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
One of the fun parts of owning an Interstate is figuring out what you need and what you have room to store. We have folding bikes which fit perfectly between the side benches and rear sofa. It was like someone pre-measured so they would fit perfectly... The folding bikes go in front of the driver's and passenger seats.
Thanks, avid, for sharing with us items that you take along when traveling that work so well for you; and thanks for your permission this afternoon to show the photo I took of your folded Brompton bike.

See avid's beautiful 2007 Airstream Interstate (inside and out), along with another interesting cooking item that he brings along in:

"Fans of the Airstream Interstate", History Safari Express, Airstream Life Online Community
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0116 Brompton folding bike.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	516.2 KB
ID:	127128  
Old 04-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Am copying a post I just did on a related thread. These are great items.

We have solved the one-small-towel-rod problem with these items, of which we have all sizes

RV Towel Bars

They are WONDERFUL, and can be easily moved and placed on the exterior when you have nice towel-drying weather.

This site has some other very handy items, too.

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 04-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Currently Looking...
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Thanks! Also, on the Yahoo Group, I posted a pdf file of the differences in standard and options between the 2011 Airstream Interstate and Roadtrek RS Adventurous in the files section if anyone wants to compare.

Gerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
Last month Gerald (gmilleroik1) of Muskogee, Oklahoma, took delivery of a new 2011 Airstream Interstate and started the Yahoo Group: Airstream Interstate: Airstream Interstate & Avenue with detailed observations, along with new unit problems and fixes.

Welcome to AirForums, Gerald!

As wayneskid points out, also check out the Sprinter-Forum - The Sprinter Source for additional information and support.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:07 AM   #38
MamabearJD

2011 Interstate Coach
Texas , Texas
Suggestions for Interstate Travel?

Hi - We are brand new owners of a 2011 Interstate 3500. We have taken it out just a few times, and are planning a long trip from Texas to California this summer with our 4 little kids! I need some help, please friendly folks could you point me to some good blogs/forums/websites to help me plan our drive? I have always wanted an Airstream, I thought I would buy an old one and restore with my dad, but I was able to convince the hubby that we would have a lot of freedom with our large family with one of these. It's up to me to learn how everything works and to plan our adventure.....I need a little help knowing where to get started! Help!
Old 05-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Congratulations, MamabearJD!

Traveling with kiddies is much easier with a frig, sink and potty so handy. I'm guessing you will be using it on the road, not for sleeping?

Can't help you with your travel plans, we are not so farsighted to plan ahead other than general direction. Can give you a few newbie tips.

Read your owner's manual thoroughly and give everything a good look-see before you head out on that trip. Turn everything on and off, fill your water tank, flush the toilet, wash the dishes, get your frig cold, etc., so that anything that isn't working properly can be tended to before you leave---so you don't find yourself sitting at a dealership hundreds of miles from home, trying to entertain the children while something is fixed.

Have a great trip,

Maggie
Old 05-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Dump the tanks too. Will this be your job as well?
We have a sprinter Westfalia and it is nimble enough to maneuver close to the sewer clean out on our pool house. That is what we usually use as our preferred dump station.
We are also close to two exits on I20 in GA with free dump stations.
There are websites that help you locate dump stations. You can also call a local RV dealer for help. Maybe where you purchased your interstate. The GA dealer is a Mercedes dealership in Atlanta and I doubt they would have a clue about where to find a free dump station.

Dump a bucket or two of water in your gray and black tanks, load up the family for a shake down drive, make sure you have plastic gloves, an extra extension of slinky hose and your owners manuals and head to the nearest dump station.
For extra entertainment watch Robin William's RV on the trip.

I wish I had had a b-van when my kids were young. We home school and it would have made school on the go easier. We spent years schooling out of back packs in dr.s offices when we were caring for my sister during a severe lupus flare.
My oldest is in college now and my youngest is graduating. Our Westy is our empty nester RV.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Airstream Expands B-Van Line With Chevy

The Summer 2011 issue of Airstream Life just arrived featuring "Airstream Expands B-Van Line With Chevy" article by Rich Luhr, who writes, "A stylish interior puts the Avenue at par with the Interstate, but at a price point about $30,000 lower."

See airstream.com's Avenue Intro, Avenue Gallery, Avenue Floorplan, and Avenue Specifications.

See additional information and photos of the 2012 Airstream Avenue 20' Conv Lounge/WD here.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I saw that, too.

The interior looks very nice, but we really love our Interstate and wouldn't have anything else.

Maggie