Old 03-03-2016, 05:11 AM   #393
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, the manuals are indexed, Mr. B, allowing you to locate and read just the section you need at the time.

I recall my late husband sitting down and reading the manuals, cover to cover, when we got home with ours 9 years ago ....but he was a car guy, and wanted to know everything that was specific to this rig.

Me, I just wanted to know what I needed to know at the time , and put tabs at those sections so I could easily find them again.

Maggie

Old 03-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #394
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Covering the polemic: you both are right, but I meant a different answer but not sending me to read manuals. I have never had a diesel before, and having now 5 thousand miles on my Sprinter, I heared yesterday about unfamiliar for me DEF-fluid, that's why immediately asked you, the savvies of it, before reading manuals, because this is not an urgent for me now and I just wanted to have some knowledge beforehand and way before I will need to refill this fluid. Btw, instead of writing an Internet poem and sending me to read the books, Mike-Boxter posted a picture with a complete answer for my question.

PS: to Lily... mentioned your husband who is an auto-savvy and always reading manuals. Here is a little bit more about myself in order not to have a wrong impression about me: I have my private garage with high-end cars, such as Mercedes S550 (W221), SL500 (R230), G55AMG (W463), few more vehicles to be humble not to mention, BMW motorcycles, Sea-Ray sport boat, etcetera, and honestly, I always read manuals, more over, from start to end. Just to the word...
:-)

Old 03-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #395
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Covering the polemic: you both are right, but I meant a different answer but not sending me to read manuals.
I hereby retract what I said about you maybe having trouble with the manuals since English isn't your native language. If you can use words like "polemic" correctly, maybe I should be the one asking you what the manuals really mean!

On Edit— When you said there was no particular hurry and you were just asking so you'd be prepared, that's actually different from the usual run of questions we get that can be answered by the manuals. Usually it's, "Oh my Gosh, now the engine won't start. This never happened before. What do I do!?"

There would have been less of an attack— a polemic, as you said— if your initial question came with more context, other than just "Do I have to fill it up once in a while?"

And no one really answered your question about aftermarket DEF. Yes, you can use aftermarket DEF as long as the label says "ISO 22241." Which is one reason I never buy DEF at the pump at a truck stop; I never see an ISO label on the pump. I get it at my local Walmart for about $20 for 2Ĺ gallons. Mercedes Benz charges by the liter and it costs a fortune for exactly the same stuff. All you're really paying for at MB is the fancy no-drip spouts on their imported liter-sized jugs, which doesn't help you at all when they're the ones adding the fluid.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:55 PM   #396
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Btw, instead of writing an Internet poem and sending me to read the books, Mike-Boxter posted a picture with a complete answer for my question.

Which was indeed very generous of Michael, Mr. B....to look up for you the information in your manual, that you needed and which answered your question, and then to post it here for you.

Maggie
Old 03-03-2016, 08:21 PM   #397
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
... And no one really answered your question about aftermarket DEF. Yes, you can use aftermarket DEF as long as the label says "ISO 22241." Which is one reason I never buy DEF at the pump at a truck stop; I never see an ISO label on the pump. I get it at my local Walmart for about $20 for 2Ĺ gallons. Mercedes Benz charges by the liter and it costs a fortune for exactly the same stuff. All you're really paying for at MB is the fancy no-drip spouts on their imported liter-sized jugs, which doesn't help you at all when they're the ones adding the fluid.
Thanks to Protag for fully answering the OP's question on what DEF to use. One other tip I have picked up along the way is if you ever do get the first warning (The yellow DEF indicator lamp) be sure to add at least 2.5 gallons or the warning will not be reset and you could end up in the "XX starts remaining" mode.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #398
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
2.5 gallons of the correct DEF is $10 and change at my Sam's currently. Comes w/ a nice pour spout that will actually fit the ridiculously small fill opening.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #399
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Thank you gentlemen, I will search it next time in Walmart. :-)
Walmart is funny, but the best store for purchase a lot of stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	258108  
Old 03-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #400
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Thank you gentlemen, I will search it next time in Walmart. :-)

Walmart is funny, but the best store for purchase a lot of stuff.

I have found that not all Walmarts carry DEF, but all auto parts stores have it. It might be a little more expensive, but not as much as a Mercedes dealer charges.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:24 PM   #401
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
I've read some articles in Russian forums as well, and found out they in Russian call this fluid "mochevina" which is a "urea" in exact means of translation.
Is this fluid really made from a urine? )))
Old 03-04-2016, 05:32 PM   #402
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) is an aqueous urea solution made with 32.5% urea and 67.5% deionized water. It is standardised as AUS 32 (aqueous urea solution) in ISO 22241.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #403
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Is this fluid really made from a urine? )))
No. Urine and DEF both contain urea, but one is not made from the other. Kind of like asking if vodka is made from beer just because they both contain alcohol.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #404
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
No. Urine and DEF both contain urea, but one is not made from the other. Kind of like asking if vodka is made from beer just because they both contain alcohol.
Good analogy.

Gotta stay away from those Russian forums.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:40 PM   #405
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
My salesman told me DEF was made from camel urine. But we were celebrating the sale with alcohol at the time!
Old 03-04-2016, 10:04 PM   #406
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
When celebrating with alcohol, everything can be made from anything ))) This is just a world known relief of everything what people hate )))
But dangerous if uncontrolled, as a half of the earth population are alcoholics, they just don't admit it.