Old 02-06-2016, 08:07 AM   #365
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Fans of Airstream Interstate

Hello Mr.B, I've noticed that 61psi sticker on Roadtrek and ARV Mercedes conversions, so I think that figure is a recommended figure from Mercedes Benz based on the maximum load capacity of the van.
However, you can read here a method to finding a more accurate figure based on your own fully loaded weight and your own tire load ratings.
http://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/how-...re-in-your-rv/

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 02-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #366
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Thank you gentlemen for your suggestions!

Only thing I did not understand is that pressure on REAR tires. It is recommended by Mercedes 61PSI on each front and the same for each rear. But, since there are two wheels per rear side - do I have to inflate 30PSI on each tire making 61PSI on each side, or I have to inflate each tire at 61 making the pressure of 122 on each side?

Old 02-07-2016, 05:29 AM   #367
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Tire pressure is usually stated per tire. So 61 per tire? Anyone?
Old 02-07-2016, 06:59 AM   #368
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Tire pressure is usually stated per tire. So 61 per tire? Anyone?
Yes. 61 psi per tire, every tire on the Interstate. Unless it's an older T1N version, in which case front and rear might be different.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #369
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
It actually makes sense due to the load of the vehicle and FOUR points on which it stays on the ground:

Two front points with 61PSI each, and two rear points with 61 PSI each. Since we have two wheels on each rear point, then each of rour rear tire logically have to be 30.5PSI.

By this rear tires pressure tire's sidewall should not bend by the load, and thus we can avoid roughness of the rear end.

Anyone else can rebut this logic?
:-)
Old 02-07-2016, 11:50 AM   #370
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Only every tire manufacturer!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #371

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Two front points with 61PSI each, and two rear points with 61 PSI each. Since we have two wheels on each rear point, then each of four rear tire logically have to be 30.5PSI.
No, no, no! That is not how it works!

Here's how it works:

The gross vehicle weight of a long-wheelbase Sprinter 3500 is 11,030 pounds, divided unevenly between front and rear axles.

According to the Sprinter owner's manual, the gross front axle weight of a Sprinter 3500 van is 4410 pounds.
4410 (GFAW) ÷ 2 (tires) ÷ 61 (psi) = 36 square inches of contact surface with the ground, per tire.

The gross rear axle weight is 7720 pounds.
7720 (GRAW) ÷ 4 (tires) ÷ 61 (psi) = 32 square inches of contact surface with the ground, per tire.

You will note that the amount of contact surface is almost the same on each tire, within a few square inches, which is exactly as it should be.

When we say 61psi per tire, we mean 61psi in each and every tire— not divided by 2 for the duals.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Old 02-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #372
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Protagonist, awesome rebuttal with technical description! You've illuminated my doubts. Thanks a lot.

PS: reading your posts in any threads, I'd say if you would be a manager of any dealership, you'd be the best )))
Old 02-08-2016, 02:46 PM   #373
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Came back home from New Orleans, visiting also its vicinities. We were on Mardi Gras parade in French quarter. Jazz on the streets is nice. Never imagined that NewOrleans so big city.

Protagonist, are your Luisiana people in French Quarter completely drunk all year around, or just in winter time?
:-)))))))))))
Old 02-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #374

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Protagonist, are your Luisiana people in French Quarter completely drunk all year around, or just in winter time?
The drunks in the French Quarter are mostly tourists. Native New Orleanians don't have to go to the Quarter to drink, they can do it at home. A "social" drinker in New Orleans is an alcoholic anywhere else!

But to answer your question, yes, it's year-round. It's called "The City that Care Forgot" but it should be "The City that Forgot to Care." One of only two cities I know of in the United States where it's perfectly legal to walk out of a bar with an open alcoholic beverage in hand— the other being Las Vegas. Though the open container has to be a plastic cup; cans and bottles must be left inside.

For the record, New Orleans has the highest per-capita consumption in the US of two beverages and two foods— the beverages are alcohol and coffee, the foods are fried chicken and ice cream.

To paraphrase the late actor Dean Martin, "You're not really drunk if you can lie in the gutter without holding on!"
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 02-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #375
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Aha ))) Tell me about it )
Didn't you forget I'm Russian))) haha
And when you'll be in Florida we'll drink what? Yes, you're right
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	257063  
Old 02-08-2016, 10:53 PM   #376
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
It seems I would not use the awning because I'm not a camperman but a long-road driver. So, tomorrow I'm going to look on the roof if it's possible to easy remove the awning to store it in the garage (I don't much like its appearance on the van). Before I look there, does anyone know how difficult this task?
Old 02-09-2016, 07:02 AM   #377
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Came back home from New Orleans, visiting also its vicinities. We were on Mardi Gras parade in French quarter. Jazz on the streets is nice. Never imagined that NewOrleans so big city.

On that Mardi Gras point and in honor of today's occasion, I note that Galveston can't hold a candle to New Orleans but that certainly doesn't stop them from trying.

My teenager and I went to Galveston on Saturday noon because she has her learner's license and we are doing freeway driving practice. While down there we might as well do lunch, because Galveston food is better than generic suburbs food.

I was astonished to see waiters carrying ARM LOADS of champagne bottles. They were literally weighed down like mules.

And then I remembered... oh yeah, it's Mardi Gras time. Middle of the day and these people were tossing back mimosas like the human race was about to be obliterated by a large meteor strike. You could have floated a ship in that volume of alcohol.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:29 AM   #378
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
It seems I would not use the awning because I'm not a camperman but a long-road driver. So, tomorrow I'm going to look on the roof if it's possible to easy remove the awning to store it in the garage (I don't much like its appearance on the van). Before I look there, does anyone know how difficult this task?

Removing the awning is difficult because it is heavy and awkward. It will take a few strong folks on ladders or some sort of overhead lift. I lifted mine up just a few inches with help to relocate the rear bracket one inch for my solar panels.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote