Old 01-28-2016, 06:40 AM   #351
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
The cube heater I use has a tip over switch, temp control, and I use a small fan on low to circulate the air.
LOL I recently tried to use a separate fan to blow the hot ceiling air back down into general circulation. It was a battery operated clip-on style and I put it at the top of the closet door. Failed experiment - it wasn't strong enough to move the required air volume. And then its battery died in the middle of the night.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:57 AM   #352
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
I got this little heater at Walmart and left it on the counter and it kept the coach at a comfortable temperature .. Now I didn't sleep in there so I can't really attest to how well it worked in the dead of night..

It has the tip over shut off and the whole casing stays pretty cool to the touch.. I would think putting it on the floor would be fine and if someone ran into they wouldn't suffer any burns...

I ran it for three nights and when I went to check on it in the morning the coach was comfortable with the morning temp in the teens.. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1453989435.590320.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	256427

Old 01-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #353
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Maggie's approach sounds very effective IF a person could pull it off safely. I don't think I would trust my own hare-brained dog if my heater were situated on the floor. Especially with an electrical cord coming out of it.

And I could not find one with a tip-over switch that was also well-constructed. I wanted a metal housing, not plastic, and the one I got is very robust, metal all around, but no safety switch.

At any rate, I'm not done thinking about this issue. Skyhooks probably wouldn't hurt, but I haven't come across any that have been adapted for use in the Interstate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160128_skyhook.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	256429  
Old 01-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #354
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I hook the cord around a cabinet handle, which keeps it out of the way of me and her.

It works for us.

Could always try this during the day, when you can see how...and whether...the dog avoids the space heater.

Maggie
Old 01-28-2016, 10:52 AM   #355
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
And I could not find one with a tip-over switch that was also well-constructed. I wanted a metal housing, not plastic, and the one I got is very robust, metal all around, but no safety switch.
Plastic doesn't automatically mean poorly-constructed— unless you plan to bash it around. My plastic-encased desktop heater works fine placed on the floor in between the front seats, aimed directly down the aisle. Since the carpeted front floor mat extends between the front seats, I put a small plastic cutting board on the floor to provide a flat surface for the tip-over switch.

And it pumps out plenty of heat. At a rally a couple of months ago, a fellow Airstreamer's furnace went out in her 19' trailer. I loaned her the portable heater, and she told me that she had to get up in the middle of the night to turn the heat down because it was getting too toasty warm in her trailer for sleeping comfort!

To avoid bashing the heater around I store it in the original packaging in an overhead locker between uses (after letting it cool down, of course) and the unit was chosen in part specifically because it was small enough to fit in a locker while still in the box.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:47 PM   #356
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
Follow up report:

The black water tank flashing inlet was stocked because of failed check valve, replacement of which resolved the problem.

Thank you everyone for advices, especially Shark who immediately bited the problem with his sharp teeth. )))
Old 01-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #357
4 Rivet Member

Lake Mary , Florida
As a new guy in our forum, I would like to open a talking about Sprinter's outside rearview mirrors that confuses me a little bit. The mirror consists of two parts - smaller bottom one, and bigger upper one. The bigger upper mirror is vibrating on the speed. Both sides. Today I was on dealership and drove couple new Sprinters - the same thing: mirrors shaking on all of them.

Does anyone have annoying feeling of this matter, and if yes - what did you do?
Old 01-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #358
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
As a new guy in our forum, I would like to open a talking about Sprinter's outside rearview mirrors that confuses me a little bit. The mirror consists of two parts - smaller bottom one, and bigger upper one. The bigger upper mirror is vibrating on the speed. Both sides. Today I was on dealership and drove couple new Sprinters - the same thing: mirrors shaking on all of them.

Hello Mr. B (your last name isn't Bean is it by any chance? that's a joke from the UK!) - I find the mirrors are perfect for both distant and close vision, as long as they are correctly adjusted. The small lower mirror provides a side view of anything sneaking up outside the view of the main mirror. As to vibration, yes, mine vibrate too, but it improves as I drive faster; the wind keeps it steady.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #359
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Mine don't do that. Since the upper, large mirror is controlled electrically, you might try running each mirror to the four limit stops (side to side and top to bottom) and then back to where you want them.

The bottom, smaller convex mirror is manually adjustable and used to eliminate blind spots.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:41 PM   #360

2012 Interstate Coach
The way I adjust my mirrors is this, on both sides…
Upper mirrors set so the inside edge just barely shows the side of the van o provide a point of reference, and the horizon is about halfway between top and bottom.
Lower mirrors also set so the inside edge just barely shows the side of the van, but the horizon about one-third of the way down from the top edge, so that objects close to the van and lower than my normal line of sight are clearly visible.

With the mirrors set like this, I have no blind spots at all. When a passing vehicle disappears from my rearview camera monitor, it appears in the upper mirror. When it disappears from the upper mirror, it appears in the lower mirror that has a wider field of view. When it disappears from the lower mirror, it's visible through the side window.

When I am passing someone, I know that if I stay in the passing lane until I can see the entire front end of the vehicle being passed in the upper outside mirror, I'm far enough ahead to change lanes back in front of him without cutting him off, even with my toad behind me.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 01-29-2016, 09:41 PM   #361
4 Rivet Member

Lake Mary , Florida
Protagonist, yes, I do exactly the same, and it is good mirrors setting on a Sprinter, (beside that the frame vertical line between two door windows is on the way, but it's also okay). In addition, mine has a Blind Spot Assist which I didn't use to have before on my cars - red triangles appear in the top of the mirror if any vehicle in your blind zone.

Shark, thank you, tomorrow I will try to do that as you described, and will reply.

UKdude, yes I like your UK humor, I have been flying there very often during past several years because my son has graduated University of Oxford there.
No, my Russian name is unpronounceable ))) thus people call me simply Mr. B )))
Old 01-30-2016, 07:35 AM   #362
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
.... The bigger upper mirror is vibrating on the speed. Both sides. Today I was on dealership and drove couple new Sprinters - the same thing: mirrors shaking on all of them.

How peculiar - I haven't heard of any of the older T1N Interstates doing this. Certainly ours does not - the mirrors are as solid as a rock.

We do as Protag says, and there are no blind spots whatsoever. One just has to remember to clear BOTH mirrors. That's my mantra - "both mirrors clear" (large and small). When I switch back and forth between the Interstate and my daily driver, I have an unconscious tendency to forget this and only use the big mirror, which could be very bad. Of course we also use the side cameras that we retrofitted but that depends on prevailing conditions, which device (mirror vs. cameras) is more efficient.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:54 AM   #363
4 Rivet Member

Lake Mary , Florida
Hello everybody!
Today I made my first long trip from Orlando to New Orleans, and it seems very good.

I have question about tires pressure - label on the pillar says front 61 PSI and rear also 61 PSI. But I have only two people in the van, and it feels very firm on the road. What tires pressure you guys use? May I put, let say, 45 instead of 61, and would it affect something wrong?

Also, we all have two rear wheels on each side, so what is the pressure have to be on each rear wheel considering the label on the pillar that says "Rear 61" - do they mean 61 for a side (2 x 30 each wheel), or they recommend 61 in each of 4 rear tires?

Thank you everyone for advices!
Old 02-06-2016, 05:15 AM   #364

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I have question about tires pressure - label on the pillar says front 61 PSI and rear also 61 PSI. But I have only two people in the van, and it feels very firm on the road. What tires pressure you guys use? May I put, let say, 45 instead of 61, and would it affect something wrong?
I travel solo, and I use 61psi all around, all 7 tires (don't forget the spare). I have used as low as 55 psi in the past, but that made the handling kind of "squishy," so I quit letting them get that low. 45psi would be a blowout waiting to happen because the tires would get very hot from excessive sidewall flexing.

The ride is going to be firm; there's no avoiding that. It will never ride like a Cadillac or a Lincoln Town Car. It's a converted cargo van, that even before the Airstream conversion had a curb weight of just over 6000 pounds, and a cargo capacity of nearly 2˝ tons, and a suspension to match.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4