Old 07-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #253
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Question:

Thinking of upgrading our 2010 Airstream Interstate stereo to the new Kenwood nav unit.

Any thoughts on this new system? I believe it is the dnx7190hd.

Also thinking of upgrading speakers, amp and maybe a subwoofer.
My 2012 Interstate (2011 Sprinter) came with a Kenwood DNX7160. The night I brought it home, someone stole the Kenwood unit— long story, already posted elsewhere on the AirForums. Anyway, when the dealer was trying to replace it, they couldn't get a DNX7160 anymore; the DNX7190 was all they could get. The two units are virtually identical, and even share the same owner's manual (DNX 7-series).

Be sure you get the software upgrades/patches that are available for it. The DNX7190 as it comes in the box has a habit of locking up if you've got an iPod docked to it for more than an hour or two. One of the patches is supposed to fix that.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #254
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Thanks Protagonist,

Sorry to here about your breakin. Hopefully they didn't take anything else. Isn't there a factory alarm in your AI?

I called Airstream also and they confirmed they are now using the dnx7190.

Do you get xm with it or do you need an additional module?

Pleasure chatting with you. You seem to know the interstate quite well.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #255

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Thanks Protagonist,

Sorry to here about your breakin. Hopefully they didn't take anything else. Isn't there a factory alarm in your AI?
No factory alarm. However, at the same time the damage was repaired, I installed a top-of-the-line Viper alarm system. I had intended to add an alarm anyway— such is life in the big city— but the thieves beat me to it. Thanks to the burglary, I ended up installing a better alarm than I had originally intended.

Quote:
Do you get xm with it or do you need an additional module?
Mine has a Sirius XM satellite antenna mounted on the roof directly over the driver's seat. If you're doing a retrofit, I think you will have to get the antenna separately and plug it into the head unit.

Ditto the GPS; you need an external GPS antenna; don't know if the box comes with one. The way the GPS antenna is mounted is that there is a small square metal plate glued to the dashboard on the passenger side, and the GPS antenna magneticaly sticks to it. You'd get better GPS reception if the antenna was stuck to the roof, but then you'd have another hole to drill in your roof. Dashboard mount is best.

The DNX7190 is Bluetooth-enabled. There is an external microphone (I think it comes with the unit, not separate) that sticks to the windshield right above the inside rearview mirror. Works best if you've got a Sprinter with pushbuttons on the steering wheel that let you answer the phone without taking your hands off the wheel.

The iPod dock is a separate unit. Just a cord, really, with an iPod plug on one end and a USB plug on the other. Don't have the owner's manual handy or I'd tel you the model number of the dock you would need. The DNX7190 comes with a USB plug on a long wire, that you run over to your glove box. Install the USB port, even if you don't have an iPod or get an iPod dock. If you ever want to update your maps or software, you'll have to plug a flash drive into the USB port to download information about your unit, then pluf the flash drive into your laptop or home computer to order the updates. Garmin and Kenwood will not provide you with updates unless they get confirmation in this way. PS- Don't forget to register your unit first!

Quote:
Pleasure chatting with you. You seem to know the interstate quite well.
You flatter me. I'm still learning about my Interstate. I'm an engineer by profession, and that automatically means I can never be happy with, "Hey! It works!" I have to know how and why it works.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #256
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Changing floor courtesy lights?

Any ideas how to do this?

I took off trim ring, unscrewed light, but how do you remove and replace bulb????
Old 07-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #257

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Changing floor courtesy lights?

Any ideas how to do this?

I took off trim ring, unscrewed light, but how do you remove and replace bulb????
Start with taking a look at the back of the fixture, if you can get to it. If the courtesy light works like most taillights, you'd have to remove bulb and socket together from the back of the fixture in order to change the bulb.

If that doesn't help, then I'll have to experiment a little and think of something else.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #258
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Where could/should I post this question? Is it OK here?
Does anyone have ideas about the Serenity Class B van by Leisure Travel Vans?
I just viewed a 14 minute video on YouTube regarding the Serenity and to me it looks pretty nice. But looks aren't mechanics and quality that I believe Airstream has in spades.
At this point I'm not looking for Indepth info, just general knowledge you might have on the 2012 Serenity. Looks +++.
Thanks
Plg
Old 07-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #259
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockinbrd
Where could/should I post this question? Is it OK here?
Does anyone have ideas about the Serenity Class B van by Leisure Travel Vans?
I just viewed a 14 minute video on YouTube regarding the Serenity and to me it looks pretty nice. But looks aren't mechanics and quality that I believe Airstream has in spades.
At this point I'm not looking for Indepth info, just general knowledge you might have on the 2012 Serenity. Looks +++.
Thanks
Plg
Hmmmm. Not a clue, and not sure this is the best place to ask, but good luck!

Maggie
Old 07-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #260
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
I'd go to fans of b van forums

This is for fans of airstream interstates
Old 07-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #261
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thanks Teamaron - I'll look into fans of b van forum, I'm thinking of Yahoo ?
I know here we had a very well done thread on Airstream Interstate vs RoadTrek that done not too long ago. I know most don't have that kind of extensive knowledge of Leisure Van product line.
But to get their brochure! Leisure Van wanted so much information, no thanks. Why not just let me PDF download? But no.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #262

2012 Interstate Coach
You might also check out the Sprinter forums.

Sprinter - Sprinter-Forum

They have separate sections for different Sprinter-based RV brands.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #263
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
dry camping success

We have just finished 3 weeks in Glacier-Waterton and Yellowstone, hooking up to electricity overnight only once during this time.

We drove several hours on most days and were delighted with the performance of our 6 year old Interstate, which handled the mountains without breaking a sweat and didn't need the generator once to charge batteries.

We also had no problems slipping into those small, inexpensive, no-reservation forest sites.

Must say, too, that we have become experts at minimal-water bathing.

Love our Interstate.

Maggie
Old 08-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #264
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist

Start with taking a look at the back of the fixture, if you can get to it. If the courtesy light works like most taillights, you'd have to remove bulb and socket together from the back of the fixture in order to change the bulb.

If that doesn't help, then I'll have to experiment a little and think of something else.

I broke down and called Airstream customer service.

Found out that you cannot replace just bulb. You have to order a new piece, part #512377.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same dilemma.

Go Airstream!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #265

2012 Interstate Coach
Love it, warts and all…

Just found a couple new warts, while camping in northern Mississippi.

1 - Fire extinguisher bracket broke. While driving to the campground, I heard something rattling by the passenger-side rear seat next to the sliding side door, but couldn't figure out what it was. Found it this morning; it was the fire extinguisher bouncing around behind the seat. The bracket is designed for vertical mount, but was installed horizontally. The bracket not only broke, but also partially pulled away from the wall.

2 - Air conditioner developed a leak. Annoying, but I know the cause. During Hurricane Isaac, I had my Interstate parked where it was sheltered from high winds, but there were some nearby trees that weren't as sheltered, that lost a lot of leaves and some small branches. I've probably got leaves and other detrius blocking the condensate drain. I don't routinely carry a ladder long enough to get me onto the roof, so cleaning it out will just have to wait.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 09-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #266
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
My fire extinguisher is also installed vertically. Was the panel damaged where it pulled away? Were you able to repair it yourself and reattach?