Old 06-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #239
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We cruise off the main highways whenever possible, like to stay in the 50-55mph range and get a good, solid 25 mpg.

On the highways, at 70 or so, we get about 23 mpg.

Maggie
The advantage of the old Interstate 2500 with the 5-cylinder diesel, vs. the 3500 with the V-6 like I've got.

My mileage is all over the map, it seems, anywhere from 16.5 mpg at 70 mph when bucking a headwind to 19.5 mpg at 50~55. I've never even seen 20 mpg with my Interstate, not even downhill with a tailwind.

Of course, that poor showing could also be because I drive like I'm from Louisiana or something.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #240
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, we just lucked into this engine. Had no idea at the time what we were getting.

Perfect, though, for our meandering type of travel. Just meant to be.

Maggie

Old 06-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #241
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
still in research/pondering mode

don't throw rocks at me.....but i am wondering and considering many options to get back to streaming....

1. new interstate....fully loaded...extended body...or not???price difference according to two separate quotes is $4000.00

thinking about towing a smaller airstream...want a 23D...it weighs 6000 lbs....lets out the extended version...as it is not rated to pull that amount...no big deal...

two separate quotes...have a fully loaded interstate...2013 is all that is available now?..is $123,000 plus TTL...or a quick $130,000 or so

2. An Avenue???can get a fully loaded avenue...chevy will tow 8000 lbs...less gas mileage than sprinter...not as sexy as the MB sprinter sale price $76,000....any thoughts on the Avenue?????

3.. Sportsmobile...Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans - Your Home Away From Home builds out sprinters and one can get a nice rig for about $80,000...then i could still get a 23D airstream flying cloud or international and have a superb ride for about $130,000?????

4. or I can just buy a new trailer and pull it with my trusty tow rig..a 2004 GMC Sierra Denali AWS AWD 8 MPG which i used to pull my 25FB for 150,000 miles....I should be able to get 300,000 miles on this rig as i have maintained it impeccably.....but ......

i want to stay with the airstream community but is an interstate really worth the extra $50,000 ...just for (heresy) the airstream name????

any thoughts
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #242

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
don't throw rocks at me.....but i am wondering and considering many options to get back to streaming....
Can't speak for everyone, but I don't throw rocks. Louisiana has to import all of its rocks from Missouri, and they're too precious to get them all bloody. Besides, with my throwing arm, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. From inside.

Quote:
i want to stay with the airstream community but is an interstate really worth the extra $50,000 ...just for (heresy) the airstream name????

any thoughts
The price difference isn't really that much. The competition isn't as cheap as all that. For example, the Winnebago Era that I test-drove listed for $104k, and didn't include the solar panel, full-height wardrobe closet, heated tanks for all-season camping, or several other things that my Interstate came with.

~$130k is just the Airstream dealer's starting point for negotiations; you can get them to come down from that price. Plus, there are still unsold 2012 Interstates out there, if you're willing to shop around, and you should be able to get them cheaper now that 2013's are coming out.

When I bought my Interstate, I test-drove the Roadtrek Adventurous and Winebago Era before I even looked at the Airstream Interstate. After doing a point-by-point comparison based on product literature and test-drives, I determined that the Interstate was indeed worth the extra money over the other two. But I didn't kid myself. Before I ever talked price, I decided that if I couldn't negotiate the price of the Interstate down below the MSRP of the Winnebargo ERa, I was going to walk, and start over with the Winnebago.

Fortunately, I was able to get the Interstate's price down to about $1k less than the Winnebago Era's MSRP, so the deal went forward and I got my Interstate. I have not regretted the decision since then.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #243
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
2013 Airstream Interstate

2013 Airstream Interstate
Old 06-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #244
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
2013 Airstream Interstate 24' Extended Lounge

2013 Airstream Interstate 24' Extended Lounge
Old 06-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #245
1 Rivet Member

Simi Valley , California
We are almost ready to buy a 2006 interstate B van that has two long bench seats in the rear with holes in the floor for a table. The sink is on the curb side. It seems that having the seat middle or forward would be nice.

Do you feel stuck in the back unless the rear doors are opened?
One post talked about extra storage under the benches is this bed bigger than a queen?
On the 2006 can the driver's seat and pasenger seat swivel around to the back and use that area for a small table as in the newer rigs?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #246
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
I am now a true airstream interstate believer but I as a second owner of a 2010 one I am considering trading up to a new 'leftover' 2012.

I have only owned it for 2 months now and we are nearing the end of our first 'full' trip with the kids.

But, As a meticulous owner of everything I own I can't stomach not knowing the history and trying to 'make' it in like new condition.

What are the thoughts out there?????

I don't think the extended version is necessary. I would also do the same version and colors I have.

Thanks for the input. Looking forward to some responses.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #247
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer
We are almost ready to buy a 2006 interstate B van that has two long bench seats in the rear with holes in the floor for a table. The sink is on the curb side. It seems that having the seat middle or forward would be nice.

Do you feel stuck in the back unless the rear doors are opened?
One post talked about extra storage under the benches is this bed bigger than a queen?
On the 2006 can the driver's seat and pasenger seat swivel around to the back and use that area for a small table as in the newer rigs?
We have an 06 with the rear lounge area, the front seats don't swivel.

We store the pedestal table and its parts at home, as it is impractical for us and gives the storage space underneath one entire bench where the table and legs would be stored. We use this for shoes and clothing in those zip around travel bags.

Being in the back is never a problem for us, as we are surrounded by windows and whatever is outside. We have the screen for the rear door, which we use when the situation is hospitable, and this is especially lovely on the beach.

Maggie
Old 06-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #248
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Passenger swivel seat kits are avail aftermkt. Jim
Old 07-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #249
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Try here… CRL Sprinter Van Windows

According to the Sprinter Forums, Atwood used to make the glass for Sprinter-based van conversions. All of them, not just Airstream. Makes sense; Atwood makes half the fittings in my Interstate.

In 2009, Atwood sold their van conversion window division to CR Laurence, who still makes the windows for Airstream Interstates. The Atwood Windows legacy web page gave me the link to the CR Laurence site, and following the links on the CR Laurence site brought me to the page with replacement glass for every model year, that I listed above.

I bookmarked the site for future reference in case I need to get glass replaced for mine.
I checked out the site you mention. None of the pictures for the 2006 Sprinter windows match mine. I have fixed glass above and two equal-sized awning-type windows below. The side (rearmost) windows are the same on driver's and passenger's side. There is a similar (or identical) window on the sliding door. The other three one-piece glass panes aren't really windows, although they look like they are from the outside. Am I missing another place on the Laurence site that might have what I need?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #250

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager407 View Post
I checked out the site you mention. None of the pictures for the 2006 Sprinter windows match mine. I have fixed glass above and two equal-sized awning-type windows below. The side (rearmost) windows are the same on driver's and passenger's side. There is a similar (or identical) window on the sliding door. The other three one-piece glass panes aren't really windows, although they look like they are from the outside. Am I missing another place on the Laurence site that might have what I need?
I've never seen a 2006 in the flesh, so I had no idea that what was pictured on the website didn't match what you have. It's definitely the right company, though. Perhaps if you sent them photos and dimensions, you could ask them if they've got what you need?

My guess is that even though what you're driving is nominally a 2006 model, it might match the 2007+ windows on the website. The window change could have come in the middle of a model year. What you describe for your driver's rear quarter window is exactly what's on mine, which is the 2007+ dual-vent 170-inch-wheelbase window (catalog number FW623L; see FW623L - CRL 2007+ OEM Design 'All-Glass' Look Sprinter Van Dual-Vent Driver Side Rear Quarter Panel Window for 170" Wheel Base Van)
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #251
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Interstate Window

Thank you for your reply, Protagonist.

That window FW623L does look more like mine than the ones that are supposed to be for the 2006 Sprinter. FW613L is even more like it with the rounded corners. It does seem a little wide for its height, however, and I can't tell whether both lower windows open and are the same size.

It's been so long since I've seen my van, I'm forgetting what it looks like. I'm sending this information to the collision shop. Hope they will follow through on it.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #252
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Question:

Thinking of upgrading our 2010 Airstream Interstate stereo to the new Kenwood nav unit.

Any thoughts on this new system? I believe it is the dnx7190hd.

Also thinking of upgrading speakers, amp and maybe a subwoofer.