Old 05-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #169
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our Interstate has a propane furnace in addition to a heat option in the AC, which is very nice for a quick warmup on chilly mornings. We don't use our furnace often, but I wouldn't want to be without it

We bought our 06 in April of 07, which gave us a very nice discount. Maybe stating the obvious, but waiting til later in the year should bring your $$$ down considerably.

Maggie

Old 05-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #170
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Haymarket , Virginia
Thank you Maggie! Will try later in the year for a 2012. Maybe we can ask for the aircond/heat pump...that seemed like a good idea.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #171
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
FWIW, we bought a used (4K mi) 2011 in Aug, 2011 for $90K w/ a $126K sticker. Also had a second TV/DVD in the rear and a Sirius/XM radio module. It was in new condition w/ a rub mark on the awning housing as the only flaw.

Depending on efficiency, heat pumps only work down to about 32*F to 0*F. And the heated air from a heat pump will not be nearly as warm as a furnace although it will keep the space warm. You just can't stand in front of it and warm up like a furnace. But in an RV, probably would be adequate.

Does the current model offer the heat pump option?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #172
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Haymarket , Virginia
You got a great deal! No Airstream isn't offering a heat pump but I wonder why they don't.
I hope we can do as well as you.
I hate this game that the dealers play with mutt and jeff or good cop bad cop. Seems childish. "I am older and have more insurance" Kathy Bates in Fried Green tomatoes. I feel like she does I have the $ and the offer...take or leave it
Thanks for your response.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #173
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
FWIW, we bought a used (4K mi) 2011 in Aug, 2011 for $90K w/ a $126K sticker. Also had a second TV/DVD in the rear and a Sirius/XM radio module. It was in new condition w/ a rub mark on the awning housing as the only flaw.
Really helps to buy used, obviously. Did you get yours from a dealer, or a private sale?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #174
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Really helps to buy used, obviously. Did you get yours from a dealer, or a private sale?
From a dealer. PO was trading it for two Mercedes. They took my first offer so guess I was too high.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:47 AM   #175
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Haymarket , Virginia
I found this site full of useful information and guides:
Cost of a Class B Motorhome Camper Van - Get Prices and Information - CostHelper.com
Old 05-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #176
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
From a dealer. PO was trading it for two Mercedes. They took my first offer so guess I was too high.
Well, if you got it from a Mercedes dealer and not from an Airstream dealer, that might explain the fantastic deal you got. A plain-jane Sprinter, without an Airstream conversion, only lists for about $45,000. They may have offered the previous owner WAY less than it's worth as a trade-in, simply for not knowing what it's worth. Bad for him, good for you.

I am trying very hard not to be envious.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #177
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Actually the MB dealer is also an Airstream dealer and Sprinter dealer. I was afraid that since they accepted the offer w/o quibbling that I paid too much.

On another topic, I was put off by the ugly exhaust pipe sticking out the side, so put a chrome extension on but couldn't find one small enuf for the generator exhaust. My HVAC guy suggested a lavatory chrome drain pipe extension to the P-trap. After drilling and tapping for a couple of 10-32 screws, it worked great and since it's brass, will probably outlast the RV.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #178
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Hi All

Finally have our interstate!

For what is worth, We paid $80k from a private party and they did a few upgrades such as Tracvision Satelittle in motion TV and TVs in headrests plus a cargo carrier on back.

What's interesting though that I just found out is even though it is a 2010 airstream interstate its chassis is a 2008 freight liner sprinter, but still under warranty. Go figure.....

Anyway I love it but seem to have so much to learn in operating it.

For example can you run the rear AC with inverter on while driving it? Also which switch on panel works what? Such as water heater, auto inverter or charger, amp switch. Also what is red rocker switch that illuminates above passenger seat where light switches are? How do you turn on lower cabin lights?

I could go on and on, I guess just have to spend time in it.....
Old 05-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #179
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
If, you have an onan genny be careful with the exhaust. Onan used to be very picky about warranty claims if the pipes were messed with. Of course this was five years ago. Jim
Old 05-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #180
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There should be an owner's manual, which will tell you where all switches are and what they do.

Enjoy!

Maggie
Old 05-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #181
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie
There should be an owner's manual, which will tell you where all switches are and what they do.

Enjoy!

Maggie
Thanks Maggie

Yes theres manuals for everything, could take a LONG time to get through them. ( I hate reading )(
Old 05-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #182
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Hi All

Finally have our interstate!

For what is worth, We paid $80k from a private party and they did a few upgrades such as Tracvision Satelittle in motion TV and TVs in headrests plus a cargo carrier on back.

What's interesting though that I just found out is even though it is a 2010 airstream interstate its chassis is a 2008 freight liner sprinter, but still under warranty. Go figure.....

Anyway I love it but seem to have so much to learn in operating it.

For example can you run the rear AC with inverter on while driving it? Also which switch on panel works what? Such as water heater, auto inverter or charger, amp switch. Also what is red rocker switch that illuminates above passenger seat where light switches are? How do you turn on lower cabin lights?

I could go on and on, I guess just have to spend time in it.....
The rear A/C and the microwave only work on shore power or w/ the generator running.

As to the switches, I went thru and labeled all of mine. Not sure about the red rocker unless you're referring to the generator start switch.

FWIW, mine is a 2011 w/ a 2010 chassis. Sometimes Airstream has more chassis than they need, so carry them over into next model year although your example seems extreme. But the 2008 was when the economy tanked, so they may have had a lot of them left.