Old 05-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #155
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Looks like a neater install than the factory original version on my 2012!

Clear hose would have been good, though, so you could see if you have any problems while pumping.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #156
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie

Congratulations, and welcome!

Maggie
Thanks Maggie

Unfortunately I wasn't able to do the inaugural trip and had to send a friend to get it. Two days on the road so far and he's getting close.

I can't stand the anticipation!!!

Old 05-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #157

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Thanks Maggie

Unfortunately I wasn't able to do the inaugural trip and had to send a friend to get it. Two days on the road so far and he's getting close.

I can't stand the anticipation!!!
Time to change your AirForums profile to take off the "Currently looking…" descriptor! Hip, hip, hooray! Or, if you're ex-military, "Huuah!"

Bummer about not fetching it yourself, though. I can't imagine letting anybody else drive mine.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Looks like a neater install than the factory original version on my 2012!
The electric rewind is nice tho.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:45 AM   #159
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist

Time to change your AirForums profile to take off the "Currently looking…" descriptor! Hip, hip, hooray! Or, if you're ex-military, "Huuah!"

Bummer about not fetching it yourself, though. I can't imagine letting anybody else drive mine.
Ok updated the profile! How do you change looking for a trailer to N/A?

Definitely is a bummer though, and it is killing me he's driving it. Especially after he tells me he's picking a friend up and they went to a fast food drive thru!

Oh well couple more days and it will be in its new home)
Old 05-19-2012, 05:22 AM   #160

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Ok updated the profile! How do you change looking for a trailer to N/A?

Definitely is a bummer though, and it is killing me he's driving it. Especially after he tells me he's picking a friend up and they went to a fast food drive thru!

Oh well couple more days and it will be in its new home)
Your buddy actually found a drive-through with at least a 10-foot ovehead clearance? The guy's a genius. Either that, or check very closely to see if you still have a rooftop air conditioner when it arrives.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 05-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Not to mention being able to maneuver thru the drive-thru lane.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #162
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Haymarket , Virginia
Best price for Interstate extended

We just left a dealer with a quote for 122,000. Do like the style and quality of this vehicle but is would like it better around 100000. Is it feasible in this market to get it down from 122,000? Thanks for any comments.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #163

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by balanchine View Post
We just left a dealer with a quote for 122,000. Do like the style and quality of this vehicle but is would like it better around 100000. Is it feasible in this market to get it down from 122,000? Thanks for any comments.
Feasible? Yes. Doable? Depends on your negotiating skills. All the way down to $100,000? Only in your dreams.

Something to keep in mind… There are other dealers who carry the same unit, though they may be farther away. It's best to shop around and get the best price. But be fair. Ask for quotes on an identical vehicle, same extended chassis, same interior, same model year, everything.

If you get a better price elsewhere, you've got two choices: (1) Add in the cost of going to fetch the venicle or have it delivered, and see if it's still a better deal; or (2) Talk to your local dealer again, and see if he can match the better price you got elsewhere.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 05-27-2012, 06:07 AM   #164
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Haymarket , Virginia
Thank you Protagonist...great advice. Do you know the difference if any in the 2013 models? Also the Insterstate Coach has a air conditioner but the Era has a air-conditioner/heat pump...is there an advantage either way?
Old 05-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #165
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
$122K to $100K? Not in your dreams? Not so quick!

Getting to $100K from a list price of $122K would be an 18% discount.

I bought my 2010 Interstate new in April 2010. Sticker price was $116580; I paid $88,499 excluding tags and doc fees. This is a discount of 24% from list.

I will say that the circumstances may have been unusual. The dealer is a long time Airstream trailer dealer and supposedly got "encouraged" by Airstream to take on the Interstate line. He got a few in and had sold all but two by the time he convinced AS that he wanted to exit the motorhome business. Mine was one of the two remaining and he just wanted to get it off the lot.

Moral is, keep looking around and you might be surprised at what you find.

Good luck,
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #166

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by balanchine View Post
Thank you Protagonist...great advice. Do you know the difference if any in the 2013 models? Also the Insterstate Coach has a air conditioner but the Era has a air-conditioner/heat pump...is there an advantage either way?
Don't take this answer as definitive; mine is the un-extended version…

To the best of my knowledge, the Extended Interstate has a chassis that is 16 inches longer, with all of the extra length behind the rear wheels. What you get for that extension is:
(1) the rear overhead locker is larger front-to-back, but ergonomics make the rear of the locker harder to reach. Next time you do a walk-though, try touching the back wall of it; if you can't, you'll need to invest in some storage trays for it that you can slide forward when you want to access stuff;
(2) There's more storage space behind the rear seat. Not the full 30 cubic feet advertised, unless you stack stuff behind the seat all the way up to the bottom of the overhead locker:
(3) There's a storage bin under the floor behind the rear seat. About the size of an ice chest;
(4) You can recline the sofa without removing the headrests first. Unless you've got stuff stacked behind the seat higher than the underside of the bottom cushion;
(5) The spare tire is harder to reach, because it's 16 inches farther away from the rear bumper;
(6) Although you have more room to store things, you've got less cargo capacity by weight. The Extended Interstate has the same GVWR as the un-extended model, but has a higher empty weight;
(7) You've got less towing capacity. As with the GVWR, the GCWR is the same, but the higher empty weight reduces allowable trailer weight. Also, since the trailer hitch is farther from the rear axle, a given tongue weight has a higher moment arm— a technical term for the fact that the same tongue weight has a larger effect.

Those are the only differences that I know of. There may be others, and any other AirForums member who knows more is free to chime in.

As for the difference between the Era's heat pump and the Interstate's air conditioner… If I rremeber correctly, the Era uses a heat pump to avoid installing a propane-fired furnace. Which is better? Opinions differ.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 05-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #167

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
$122K to $100K? Not in your dreams? Not so quick!

Getting to $100K from a list price of $122K would be an 18% discount.
A lot more than that. $122k is not sticker, that's the already-quoted discount. Sticker is closer to $135k. Going from $135k to $100k isn't going to happen unless the buyer is a wizard at negotiation.

Of course, stranger things HAVE happened, and I'm not a prophet.

When I bought my 2012, I went from a sticker price of $128k to a purchase price of $103k. And that was after obtaining quotes from no less than five dealers, and negotiating the addition of a second TV in the rear lounge area at no extra charge from the dealer with the best price.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 05-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #168
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Haymarket , Virginia
Thanks very much to both replies. Knowledge is power and I want to feel good about a purchase from price to the options. I have the ERA 2013 brochure and looked at one and it has a furnace as well. I read online that you can damage your unit if using the hea tpump with the outside temperature too low. I would think Airstream made a choice which one was best...Having both gives you more options, but we prefer the Airstream in most ways.

Thanks for breaking down the extended versions qualities or drawbacks.

We will take our time and keep shopping at different dealers. No rush. An advantage to our age is that we don't have this sense of urgency to buy, buy, buy.

Cheers to you both!