Old 04-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #141
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Can you put an extension on it with a cap and just remove the cap when connecting the hose? jim

Old 04-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager407

I feel the same way. I just love my 2006 rear dinette model - EXCEPT for the dumping setup. If you have either of the models with the front bath, you must share my frustration with the inaccessibility of the sewer drain. You can't even see it unless you put your ear on the ground and look up. I once fastened on my sewer hose using the braille method, and it popped off at exactly the worst time. Talk about a lady in distress!

Has anyone figured a way to make dumping easier on these models?
Yep!

Doug does all the dumping, this has always been a complaint of his. Again, you give some things up to travel small. And, it's okay.

Maggie

Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #143
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager407 View Post
Has anyone figured a way to make dumping easier on these models?
Actually, Airstream did, when they switched to a macerator pump.

If you lie on your back and crawl up under a late-model Interstate, you'll see that the black-water and gray-water tanks both have three-inch (I think; might be 4-inch) hoses running from the tanks to a Y-fitting, and then to the pump inlet. Then the pump outlet is a 3/4-inch hose on a reel with power retract.

You might be able to fit a macerator pump in your 2006 in a similar fashion, except that instead of a hose reel the pump outlet would lead to a standard hose bibb (threaded faucet) to which you could hook up a garden hose when you're ready to pump out.

If you try this, you may not want to use the same type of macerator pump as did Airstream. It lacks a gray-water bypass; even if you have full hookups, you get no gravity drain on the gray tank; you always have to pump out to drain the tanks. Looks like Airstream hasn't figured out everything
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
"If you try this, you may not want to use the same type of macerator pump as did Airstream. It lacks a gray-water bypass; even if you have full hookups, you get no gravity drain on the gray tank; you always have to pump out to drain the tanks. Looks like Airstream hasn't figured out everything "

I think the reason they did it this way is explained in the manual. The instructions indicate that you should always drain the black tank first followed by the gray tank. This allows the less nasty gray water to flush the residue from the black water out of the hose. Seems like a reasonable idea to me.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #145

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
I think the reason they did it this way is explained in the manual. The instructions indicate that you should always drain the black tank first followed by the gray tank. This allows the less nasty gray water to flush the residue from the black water out of the hose. Seems like a reasonable idea to me.
Yes, and when I drain the blackwater tank, I always drain the graywater tank afterwards.

However, if during my stay at a campground I have to drain the blackwater tank once, but have to drain the graywater tank three or four times, it would be nice to let the gray tank flow out by gravity those other times. Especially for those converting from slinkies, who are accustomed to letting the graywater tank flow out by gravity anyway.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You might be able to fit a macerator pump in your 2006 in a similar fashion, except that instead of a hose reel the pump outlet would lead to a standard hose bibb (threaded faucet) to which you could hook up a garden hose when you're ready to pump out.
Might want to use a globe ball type valve that fully opens rather than a regular hose bib that is more restrictive.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #147

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Might want to use a globe ball type valve that fully opens rather than a regular hose bib that is more restrictive.
Good point. As long as it's threaded to accept a hose on the outlet, a ball valve would be better.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 05-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #148
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
LB , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamabearJD
Hi - We are brand new owners of a 2011 Interstate 3500. We have taken it out just a few times, and are planning a long trip from Texas to California this summer with our 4 little kids! I need some help, please friendly folks could you point me to some good blogs/forums/websites to help me plan our drive? I have always wanted an Airstream, I thought I would buy an old one and restore with my dad, but I was able to convince the hubby that we would have a lot of freedom with our large family with one of these. It's up to me to learn how everything works and to plan our adventure.....I need a little help knowing where to get started! Help!
Hi mambearjd. Can you give an update on travel with 4 kids in an airstream? We have 4 little ones too and are considering an interstate for travel too!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #149
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Just want to chime in and share the joy.
Almost closing day!!
Our interstate will be on the way to us tomorrow.

Can't wait to join the Airstream interstate family.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron
Just want to chime in and share the joy.
Almost closing day!!
Our interstate will be on the way to us tomorrow.

Can't wait to join the Airstream interstate family.
Congratulations, and welcome!

Maggie
Old 05-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercatspjs View Post
Hi mambearjd. Can you give an update on travel with 4 kids in an airstream? We have 4 little ones too and are considering an interstate for travel too!
I've made some short trips (150 mi) w/ my four grandkids ages 5, 5, 7, & 11 and they enjoyed the trip. Of course we kept movies playing on the TVs.

Enjoy your new RV.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #152
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark

I've made some short trips (150 mi) w/ my four grandkids ages 5, 5, 7, & 11 and they enjoyed the trip. Of course we kept movies playing on the TVs.

Enjoy your new RV.
We have done a fair amount of traveling with 4-6 grands at a time, and last year took 4 ages 3-8 to SC.

We don't run movies for them but have a number of children's books and songs on cd's and they love to listen to those. They each have a little backpack with books favorite electronics etc., and do very well.

I tell ya, if ya have the $$, this is a great way to travel with children. So very handy, and they just love it.

Maggie
Old 05-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #153
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Actually, Airstream did, when they switched to a macerator pump.

I added a macerator pump to my 2005 Interstate. Read about it here:

Airstream Interstate Macerator Installation

Note that the '05 had a combined gray/blackwater tank (which makes a lot more sense than separate tanks in a B van, IMO), so my design does not address the gray-water issue. Also, instead of a reel, my (permanently attached) hose is stored in a sheet-metal box that I fabricated. I have been very happy with this setup. I would never go back to a slinky.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #154
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Looks like a neat install and a practical mod.